1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MJ: One / Review and seating reccomendation

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by Maverick41, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maverick41

Maverick41 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll throw my two cents in on this, having seen the majority of shows (including all cirque's) on the strip and following this particular one through it's development, I just got the chance to see it last night in one of the final preview performances before the premiere. I'll also be keeping this spoiler-free.

I did not see Immortal, though I've talked to many who did and I think the overwhelming consensus on that show is pretty clear.

I went into the performance last night with Mr. Leach's Vegas Sun review in mind, wondering if that was truly just publicity fluff or if there was any validity to it.

To simply summarize the verdict, MJ One is a masterpiece in need of moderate tweaking.

Minor tweaks aside, the show was done flat-out right: it engages the entire audience from start to finish, it utilizes absolutely incredible projection, lighting and sound technology that nobody has ever seen implemented before, and it keeps itself centered the entire time on the thing that matters most: Michael Jackson's music.

Again, simply put: Even if just listening to the hits of Michael Jackson in an absolutely state of the art, brand new theater with quite possibly the best sound system I've ever heard in Las Vegas interests you, you would want to watch this show.

Bare in mind, this show is *LOUD*, and as it should be. There are allegedly some five thousand speakers in the theater, but the main ones in the ceiling do their job and do it very, very well. The theater does also use the same in-seat speaker setup as LOVE does. What's really awesome is that they use both speakers in the headrests, as well as speakers in the back of the seat in front of you. Not only does that allow a slightly more immersive experience when it comes to the audio, but the overall quality of the speakers throughout the entire theater just sounds a *little bit* richer and fuller than LOVE's does.

I also shared a similar concern as others I've read on the internet that the songs would be remixed or modified in crazy ways. Thankfully, most of what you're going to hear is pure, original MJ that's clearly remastered for the best possible quality. There is some modest edits, transitions and some minor remixing throughout, but the music stays pure.

Although it's a cirque show, as previously mentioned, the acrobatics take a backseat to the music and the dancing...however, that shouldn't deter you. There are still some eye-popping and new/innovative cirque acrobat tricks throughout, and even some of the dancing you'll see borders on Mystere-type craziness. They really did find the best possible talent to do this production, no doubt in my mind.

I do have to mention one more time, the technology and innovation that you're going to see in this production. There are things that this show pulls off with it's video projection, lighting and visual effects that are absolutely jaw-dropping and flat-out incredible.

What's even better and makes the experience even more fun is the audience reaction. You'll get a mixed bag of all walks of life at every Cirque show on the strip, and there are some mixed reactions, but for the most part...everyone sitting around you is going to be very, very into the show and they'll act like it. The ending especially invokes a huge audience reaction.

Like I said at first, there's tweaking to be done. A lot of it is minor, for they've surely figured out that the core of this show is exactly what it should be and I don't anticipate it's going to be messed with. It's not a perfect production, but once the minor adjustments take place, it's probably going to end up being perfect...and that will guarantee it's residency here for a long, long time.

Don't let the high prices scare you away from seeing it right now though, if you have the chance. This is absolutely a must-see.

Seating wise, the theater was designed really well for this show and you won't get a bad experience anywhere you sit. However, as with all Cirque shows, if you really want to get a good perspective on EVERYTHING that's going on, you'll want to get further back.

That is especially important with this show, as all of the video projection and even some of the action wraps *around* the stage to the left and right hand sides of it. For the perfect perspective on everything, you'll want Sections 202/203/204 as far down at the bottom as you can get (Ideally rows AA through FF)

Enjoy!

2. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to hear! Yea Immortal was DREADFUL. Words can't even describe what a mess it was.. But I've been hearing such great things about this I'm going to have to check this one out!

When does it debut, for the "real" shows?

3. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great review! I agree completely!

To those wanting to see it, buy tickets sooner rather than later. I was provided a list of seating prices through Group Sales and there is definitely an across-the-board pricing hike happening by the end of July.

4. BurlingtonDoodle

BurlingtonDoodle Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the review - really glad to hear that the show doesn't tamper too much with the songs. Will be picking up my tickets before end of June :)

5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the thorough review. We are planning to go in mid-July.

Have they changed the bright lights that "blind" the audience yet?

6. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for this great review. We have tickets to see it next Sunday and I am now even more excited than ever!!

Our seat are lower level, stage left (Sec 101), 3rd row from the top. Do you think those will be good? (Not like we can change them either way I suppose).

Vegas Just Because...
  7. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for such a great review- I am seeing this on my upcoming trip in the Gold Circle seating so now I am really psyched!!

8. Mac62398

Mac62398 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw it last night too. Best show I've ever seen in my life. It was incredible. I do not like Michael Jackson at all - although I grew up with his music and generally liked it. This show was simply amazing. All show elements combined, nothing has ever been staged this way before. Worth the highest ticket price and then some. Even if you get the cheapest seats, it will still be stunning. But def 202/3/4 sections are prime.

9. Mac62398

Mac62398 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was an accident last night about 15 minutes into the show. One of the solo performers partially missed the cushion landing on his fall. Head hit the stage floor and they had to stop the show for 10 minutes. Announcer at the end of the show said he is recovering fine.

10. FlyoverFi

FlyoverFi Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks very much for this informative review. I have just booked seats in section 203 for a mid-August performance! Quite expensive, but I'm sure it will be worth it. How long was the show? What time did it let out? I'm trying to figure out for timing of post-show reservations. Thanks!

11. Maverick41

Maverick41 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like the big night is this Saturday...celebrities and the works will all be there.

I did notice a couple of sequences in the show where they do utilize some lighting techniques that hit the audience pretty aggressively, but I didn't think it was too debilitating....if you can handle the fireworks during KA or the "facing the audience" stage trick they use during Jersey Boys, you can handle MJ One's show lighting.

Don't even sweat it....you'll have a blast! Like I said, not a bad seat in the house...and as a couple people mentioned, the 100's sections will put you right in the action. There's a LOT of activity going on during the show off the stage. People will be flying down out of the ceiling and running down the aisles around you more often than any show I've ever seen Cirque do.

Standard Cirque-show length of an hour and a half....7pm will let out just after 8:30

12. MTROH

MTROH Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This show will be gone in 6 months.

13. BackInVegas

BackInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    where did this come from?

Based on what information?

Have you seen it? Have you seen any CdS shows? What makes you so certain?

Will you make a wager? You can have six months to nine months, I will take 10 months and over.

14. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So this show has almost all 5 and 4 star reviews on Yelp and Criss Angel has 1 star reviews and still plays..

I saw it Monday and it was fantastic. I would say it just edges out Beatles LOVE and that is saying a lot

15. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good thread, thanks all:thumbsup:

We really liked LOVE (saw it twice) because it was more of a "music" show than a Cirque show and it sounds like MJ is too. Makes me want to see this.

16. boboswisher

boboswisher Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw it on Tuesday night and we were blown away. I've seen many, many Vegas and Broadway shows, and many of the biggest concert tours of the last decade, but I've never seen production values like this before. Nothing even close. The show must've cost a fortune! It feels like sacrilege to say this, but it is definitely a more awesome show than Love.

17. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And, your rationale behind this comment?

18. Suekel

Suekel VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Saw the show tonite, and even tho I am sitting at a VP bar drinking and gambling I felt compelled to comment. This show was absolutely amazing. Incredible. Phenomenal. There are not enough words for how much we loved it. Hands down best Cirque show we've seen. If we had paid twice as much it still would've been worth it. If you have a trip planned, book this show, you won't regret it.

Vegas Just Because...
  19. gamblersruin

gamblersruin Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely one of the most entertaining shows I've seen, almost like being at an MJ concert. Made me wish I had seen him live despite not being a particular fan. Spot on review OP.

20. russtcb

russtcb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We got tickets for Monday, 9/9 at 7. Dead center of the theater. I'm pumped for this show!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.