1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

milwaukee eats question

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by chef, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Next week, I'm headed from the airport to Waukesha in the evening. Any dining recomendations along the way, though not looking for fancy.

2. bronx12

bronx12 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We always liked The Blue Sombrero in Brookfield for some decent Mexican Food. Right off of I-94

3. mjames1229

mjames1229 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dear God... asking a 300# man what food is good in his backyard.

Help me narrow it down a bit... What type of food (steak, Italian, gourmet hamburgers, cafe, etc) price range ($40 steaks? "Family priced Italian", etc.) and how far off of the main roads to Waukesha (I-94 and I-894) are you OK with travelling?

Super Bowl with my son
    2017 USBC Open Championships
  4. chef

Any route is fine, either I-43 to 164 north or I-94 into Waukesha. As far as food, like I said, nothing fancy or high-priced. Just wondering if there was something unique that stands out.

5. mjames1229

mjames1229 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Italian - Casa DiGiorgio in Franklin (slightly south of the airport on 31st & Rawson).

Burgers
    - Sobelman's (just off I-94 downtown) and AJ's Bombers (a little further north of downtown on I-43) competed on Burger Wars. I like Sobelman's better overall, but if you go to AJ's, have the Barrie Burger (a peanut-butter bacon cheeseburger as shown on United States of Bacon). Life altering. Open Flame (on 108th & Edgerton) has great burgers, too... and 10 oz. Another is Charcoal Grill (on Moorland and Greenfield Ave in New Berlin) with very good hamburgers and also wood fired pizza. There is also a Friday's Front Row Grill at Miller Park with year round service. The restaurant overlooks the playing field.

Jewish Deli - Jake's Deli (on 17th & North... best to go during daylight) has the best corned beef and matzo ball soup in town.

Pizza - Just not a fair category. Every person in town has a list of three favorites. Mine - in no particular order - Ned's Pizza (on 27th & Oklahoma) - their sauce is more "herby" than most, Dom & Phil's DeMarinis (on Conway and St. Clair, tucked into a neighborhood I grew up in on Bay View) makes their own Italian Sausage, and Zaffiro's (on Farwell on Milwaukee's east side) has the most cracker-thin crust you will find. One really, really casual favorite is in Waukesha at Jimmy's Grotto, where you order at the counter and wait for your number. They specialize in calzone's (they call them Ponza Rotta's) that are deep fried. They are out-friggin'-standing.

Wings - Another unfair category, but two standout places include Magoo's (on 89th & National, about two blocks from my house). After frying the huge wing, they have a dry paste that they flavor the wing with, then flat-top it. Served with home made bleu cheese. The other favorite is Quaker Steak and Lube on Beloit and Moorland (right off of I-43 in New Berlin). I think it is a chain, but I have heard raves about it.

Barbeque - Disappointing in Milwaukee. We had a couple of awesome dry-rub places, but the costs kept people away and they closed. The best two remaining are Speed Queen (on 12th and Walnut, another daylight-only place) and Paulee's Barbacoa (on 92nd & Oklahoma, but they are take-out only).

Mexican - The most "known" Mexican restaurants in town are La Perla (5th & National) and La Fuente (92nd & Bluemound). Can't go wrong. Other favorites I have been to are Jalapeno Loco (on Howell Ave across the street from the airport) and Fiesta Garribaldi (on about 8th & Lincoln). Fiesta Garribaldi specializes in fish done Mexican-style.

"As seen on TV" - Rachel Ray has been to Miss Katie's Diner (17th & Clyborn, a few blocks away from Sobelman's) and The Safe House (a spy themed restaurant downtown). The password is "Is this a safehouse?". Real Chili (17th & Wells on the Marquette campus) was featured by Duff Goldman on "The Best Thing I Ever Ate". Guy Fieri has been to Cempazuchi (on Brady St on the east side) and the Comet Cafe (on Farwell, near Zaffiros). As a matter of fact, Comet Cafe has been featured on both Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and also the United States of Bacon.

There. That list ought to give you something you like!

Super Bowl with my son
  6. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

so, chef, you have had two opportunities in this thread to say you wanted only lacto/ovo/veggie food. thought that was the new you, according to your buffet days being over thread?

just asking...?

7. chef

thanks bronx and mjames.
    I will definitely copy your list of suggestions mjames. I get into the Milwaukee airport more and more since SWA came on board there and have noticed a couple of places on your list, such as Jalapeno Loco and Quaker Steak and Lube. My wife often comes with me and that Italian place on Rawson would be right down here alley.
    Again, I can't thank you enough for all the time and effort put into the list.
    Hopefully, other Milwaukeans on this board can utilize it, as well.

kitson,
    The lacto-ovo/veggie/grains diet is getting to be a way of life for me. However, I will still eat occasionally eat meat products, especially in Milwaukee.
    Plus, I thought it would have been too difficult to get a vegetarian dining recomendation from anyone on this board.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Waukesha isn't in our neighborhood, but whenever we are west, we try and stop at That's Amore for Italian.

http://thatsamorewi.com/

The food, the atmosphere are just great.

For some of the best thin crust pizza, you have to try:

http://www.balistreris.com/

Just blocks off I-94 west on north 68th St.

Christmas
  9. mjames1229

mjames1229 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Absolutely concur on both.

I've been to That's Amore a couple of times and it has been great (though I prefer Casa DiGiorgio, so I got there more often). Balistreri's could have easily made my pizza list, but if I would have listed every pizza I like... he'd end up going to Chicago to Lou Malnoti's!

Super Bowl with my son
  10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we lived in Bay View (1980s) Demarinis was probably a once a week event. That was before the big family feud.

Mjames, if you're ever in the Saukville area, give The Riverview a shot for pizza. Very good, 2nd generation running it now. Place only seats ~20 people, plus the bar, but the pizza is excellent!:thumbsup: Smaller than the original Demarinis, but at least the sinks are in the bathrooms. :evillaugh

They have a homemade thin crust that is just great!

Christmas
  11. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Christmas
  13. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me as well. But right in my backyard when I grew up in that area