1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Michael Jackson - One - Mandalay Bay

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by Gagal, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gagal

Gagal Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We will be in Las Vegas in May when the Michael Jackson One preview performances will take place in Mandalay Bay.
    Can anybody tell me what "preview performance" means? Is this the practise of the cast? Or what is the differnce between a preview performance and the "real" show?
    Thank you for your answers.

2. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Preview performances are done to finalize the show and work out all the problems they might run into (tech, logistics, costumes, etc) before they open "for real" and allow the media to come in and review the show. As a rule, reviewers who see preview performances are not allowed to officially review the show that night.

This means the show is not yet "frozen", so changes are still being made (although with Cirque, a show is never truly frozen since they tweak it all the time). It's difficult for them to gauge if a show works until they do it in front of a real audience, so you may see a part that ends up being cut and replaced or removed. So the biggest implication is that you may not see the true final product.

They also reserve the right to stop the show if needed. It could be stopped to tweak a scene, but usually they just reserve the right to stop in case something technical goes wrong and some automation or set change fails.

All that said, I've been to many preview performances and it has always been essentially the final product and have never experienced a show stoppage. Then again, I've never seen a Cirque preview.

3. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw Zarkana on a preview performance at Aria.
    I was there on the fourth night.
    It was the final product with no glitches and a perfect presentation.

4. moefoe81

moefoe81 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was thinking of going to this show in June. Please let me know what you thought of it. I know its not the "final" show.

Ernie

5. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder how much they will change it from the touring show... because that show was awful.. Hopefully they make it more mainstream.

6. sammasseur

sammasseur VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cirque is known for it's weirdness. Mix that with the King of Weird and you're bound to get something beyond peculiar. I'll be passing on this....

:vomit:

7. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That touring show really was awful! Besides the drummer and the guy with one leg, nothing was interesting at all. And I'm a big Michael Jackson fan! I can't believe that, here in Vegas, they misjudged the size of their "Tree of Life" set piece and the top of the tree and branches didn't make it into the arena. It was just a random stump on stage.

The new sit-down show seems to be significantly different. Just from the little preview given when the name of the show was announced, the costumes indicate they're going a different direction. Although it was still just dancing acts (since it was a surprise performance without a set). I really hope they spend significantly less than 50% of the time just dancing around on stage.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.