1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MGM Grand comped room... what to expect?

Discussion in 'Comps' started by Odelay77, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odelay77

Odelay77 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in August, I booked a three-free-night corporate offer through mlife at MGM. I added two paid nights on top of the offer. I'm traveling with a group of 25 people mid-week (Sun-Thu), on a low-traffic week (Dec 16-21) and I'm wondering a few things:

- are ALL rooms at the MGM now "renovated?"
    - with this corporate offer, can I expect to receive one of the renovated grand king rooms? I'm the group leader (it's a joint bachelor/bachelorette party) and our room will most likely be a gathering place from time to time. I really don't want to get stuck in a petite.
    - what are my chances of getting an upgrade to a larger room with a generous tip? I don't need "fancy," but square footage is a priority. I've read the 20 dollar trick threads/sites, but I can't really find out whether or not my chances are hurt by being some low-rolling chump who's redeeming a corporate offer :eek:

2. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually when you're on an offer, it's harder to get upgraded than if you were paying the rack rate for the room. Because the price of the room is in a different department for a comp (it's with marketing, not with the hotel) so often you're going to be told that only a host can upgrade you from your current comp.

As to what kind of room you can expect -- what did you book? That's kind of a key piece of information.

3. domeboy

domeboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless you get there really late at night, chances are you won't get stuck in the West Wing. The bottom line is there are a lot more rooms to fill in the main towers and unless they are busy you will most likely be able to get into the main towers.

You can probably upgrade at check-in to one of the junior suites (used to be called bungalow, not sure of new name) for about $30/night. If it is important to have a little more space in one of the rooms it might be a good idea to do the upgrade before you go.

4. Odelay77

Odelay77 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry I wasn't specific. The offer I booked is for a "grand room," so I assume they won't stick me with a petite unless my timing is awful...

5. mike_m235

mike_m235 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They won't stick you in a lower class of room than what you booked. But the grand room isn't exactly 'hangout' sized.

If you want a little space, give a call ahead of time and ask if you can pay for an upgrade to an executive suite. For your dates, it's not going to cost you that much -- maybe $20-$40 a night. And you'll have a lot more space.

6. twobroslawn

twobroslawn Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    not to jack this thread but my arrival time is saturday at 5:30p. I have a petite kking booked through southwest, whats my changes of the $20 upgrade?

7. onsan

onsan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Slim to none, doesn't work well at the MGM.

8. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually by my experience at MGM Grand, I would say pretty good....and since your checking in later then earlier I would say pretty good...if you only want to upgrade from a petite King room to a Grand King I think you have excellent chance on scoring if you play your cards right....get in line with a older women or man....don't pick a young girl that might be timid to do the free upgrade...those older women know how things work and will be more then glad to occomidate you if at all possible....money talks...BS walks to the petite room...LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.