1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Mgm - 9/23-26

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by jpw711, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpw711

jpw711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Took another Solo Trip to Mecca, September 23-26. I'm 47, married to the best wife, at least the best wife for me.

The Setup: Took a solo trip last month (August) to de-stress at the suggestion of my wife. Actually she suggested Tunica, and I countered with Vegas because flying is safer than driving. Stayed at Aria (and planned to again). Flew for the Springfield MO, which is about a 40 minute drive from my house, so had my wife pick me up to save on parking. On the way home, she asked if I had made Platinum status to which I replied no, and she said that she guessed I'd have to go back then. Little did she know that tier credits reset to zero at the end of September, and I took the advantage to point that out to her before we made it home. Three days later, I had airfare booked:

Flights: Looked at flying Allegiant again and going over the previous weekend, but I heart Radio was in town and the MGM corporation was being a cheap bastard and had all the comped room offers blacked out. So I ran the numbers flying out of Branson (two gates, nice airport) on Frontier connecting in Denver. The money was the same, and I like Denver, so booked the flight. Allegiant had cut their schedule down to only two flights per week and I didn't want to go for four nights (or ten depending on Allegiant still operating). Branson is only another 30 minutes past SGF, but Ann passed on being my driver.

Flights were on time, comfortable and had more legroom than SW or Allegiant, without an upgrade to their “Stretch” seating. Another bonus is that they fly in to the little used Terminal 3 in LV.

Purchased the “Classic” fare which allowed one two checked bags, free soda, and an assigned seat up front, well row five.

Limo: Week before departure, called Ted from WI at Presidential Limo and had him watch for my reservation. Booking a stretch for one person to go to the MGM Grand is ?, but Ted is cool, I hate cab lines and I prefer not having to tell a cabbie not to long haul me, it messes with my buzz. Last two trips, I have beat Ted to baggage claim, and that's cool too, as the meter doesn't start running when the plane touches down that way.

Hotel: Looked at the milf offers, the new fall offer was for two days at most places and $100 FP, but noticed that the offer I had utilized at Aria was still in effect and offered 3 nights at MGM with $150 FP, along with a 2fer for a show. I booked MGM and a few days before, sent a message to a facebook friend that just happens to work at the front desk. Now I've never met the lady, I friended her when playing a FB game a few years back, but thought I'd ask her if the rooms have coffee makers, they don't.

FB friend works days, but sent a message back telling me to look her up and she'd hook me up with some starbucks comps, that works.

Arrive at check in, and head for the gold/plat line which was empty at 6:15 PM. Ask for a airport king smoking and they say no problem, hand me the keys and I head upstairs to call the bellman. Find the room (24th floor) and walk in, nice room EXCEPT the connecting door that was broadcasting bugs bunny or what ever the children watch in the cartoon genre nowadays.

Do an about face and return to the front desk, where I ask the same clerk, any chance I can get a non connecting room. Two new keys were prepared for the 20th floor and off I went to a much quieter room. This room had a view of NYNY and the Trop, which was probably a good idea since I could hear the helicopters crystal clear.

Room was quiet the entire time, and I will note that the grand has the best blackout shades I've ran across in all of my Vegas forays.

Gambling:

For the first 24 hours, I didn't hit shit. Nothing, nada, zilch. It was ugly. I had a few good chances, but Damn, they were tight. I stuck to penny and Dollar slots and neither would produce more than a cash out ticket that said ZERO on it.

Had a few good chances on a wonder four penny machine, twice I hit max bet ($16) and hit the bonus. Both times, the win was way under $100.

The second 24 hours was a bit better, did hit a few pennies for $3-400, but was still brutal. Finally found a four screen lobstermania that let me play a long time, that was a good thing as the CW was doing a good job. I'll come back to the gambling, now that I've mentioned the CW....

Cocktails:

I like bloody marys, enough that half of the suitcase is packed with the requirements for a good bloody mary, including pickled Okra (try it, you'll like it). MGM's cocktail service was so good, I made one in the room.

At one point, I asked for a spicy bloody mary, and the server went so far as to bring the tabasco with her, handed me the drink and said try this, if it's not spicy enough I brought the bottle. Now that's service!

My other drink of choice is a 7 and 7. Many times, I think they forgot the second 7, which was ok with me.

One other thing I noted was I was never told: “I'm delivering now, I'll be back to take your order”. They just took my order and brought me my drink. I guess they could just tell by looking at me that I tip.

Gambling part two:

So I make Platinum on morning number two, and decided to go over to NYNY to play money works (which is great if you get wilds as they stay on the screen for another 3 spins), but it didn't work. Came back to MGM and decided to eat good and went to Mcdonalds. God it sucked. Went back to the room and waited for the pain to “pass”

Went back downstairs and started playing the $'s. Specifically the “Play all nine lines!” $'s. I did and they started to hit. In quick order I had $1500 worth of tickets in my pocket. I then went to play the majestic lions progressives. Won $200 there, then went to play some 5 line $'s and hit a bonus for $400.

Lost a couple of hundred and decided to go pack for my early morning flight (6:40am)

Dining:

First night, I didn't get around to eating until 11:30, so I went to Nathans and had a $11 chicken strip sammy. It was decent, but not $11 decent.

Second night, I had all intentions of going out, but ended up with room service. Grilled chicken sammy with fries. Worth $18.

Third night, after recovering from the McShits, had “8” hot wings for $17. The cooks can't count because the order had more like 20. I also ordered the crispy fries with “your choice of dipping sauce”, so I asked for buffalo dipping sauce. I like me wings hot and messy. They were messy, but nobody knows hot, besides Buffalo Wild Wings blazing, that's hot, and that's what I want. Still the meal was worthwhile

FB Friend: had sent me a message telling me that she had put a $50 credit on the room for coffee. I applied it to room service instead as I brought my coffee pot. Hell, she treated me better than the friends I personally know.

Flight home: Cabbed it to the Airport, $11 + tip. Frontier recommends that one show up to the airport two hours early for their flight. Why? The flight is at 6:40 and the desk doesn't open till 5. I got there around 5 and the line was long, never saw a skycap so I stood in it. Went fast enough and was in the gate area way to early. Flight home was uneventful, and managed to get behind a semi between Branson and Springfield to use for protection for patrolmen. I figure they are gonna give the big rig going down the hills at 90 MPH a ticket faster than they are gonna give the guy driving the challenger.

Thanks for reading!

2. golfnut

golfnut Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for sharing. Glad you finally started getting some tickets to cash in.

3. RAWDAWG33

RAWDAWG33 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great quick TR

Pics of challenger? I want one badly. I drive a charger with a 3.5 6cyl. One of the guys that works for me has the srt8 challenger it's sweet. Minus the color (red)

4. justmare

justmare High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice trip! Glad you finally got some decent slot hits.

Sorry about your McDonald's adventure.

Yes, pics of the Challenger, please! I had a 2010 Inferno Red with black stripes on the front. Traded it in back in May and miss it terribly.

Thanks for the report!

5. jpw711

jpw711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Challenger

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

6. Tonez78

Tonez78 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Joe,

Hope all is well. Looks like I've missed ya again since I get into LV this Thursday. Gonna stay at the Aria for the first time and looking forward to it. Great quick solo report and it was nice to see you finally got a few tickets on the plus side! I too am a BWW fan and love the Caribbean Jerk on my wings but also like it as hot as you can get it. Well hopefully you were able to de-stress as you put it and you had a good time. Nice looking car BTW. We shall see if the gambling Gawds take care of me this trip as the lost few have not been so good.

Thanks again for sharing.

Tony

7. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice TR. Even nicer car. I was in the market earlier in the year and I REALLY wanted to get a Charger. But unfortunately my BF has a big truck so the snow blower has to fit on MY side of the garage, so unless I wanted to put the snow blower on top of the Charger, it wouldn't fit. So I ended up with a 2014 Mazda CX-5 instead. Oh well, some day.

8. higgiel

higgiel Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice quick trip report. Turnarounds in the gambling mojo are always good.:wave:

9. RAWDAWG33

RAWDAWG33 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is awesome

10. jpw711

jpw711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! Less than 3K miles on it so far, owned it 11 months!

11. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did you win that car on one of your trips?:D

I just checked Frontier as I wouldn't mind a bit more room but their options from the East Coast are terrible.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.