1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

McDonalds and sodium

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Mar 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Long story short. We had an appointment in another city that was fairly rural and picked out a restaurant to dine at before the appointment. We didn't read the fine print on the web site and they are closed on Tuesdays. OK Garmin, find us a restaurant. We drove 10 miles one direction - closed. Drove back and 14 miles the other way, not open for lunch. So we ended up at Mickey D's for the first time in about 6 years. Big Mac, Quarter # and large fries.

Wow! Neither of us could get over how salty everything tasted. At home we eat a low sodium diet. Not out of medical reasons, but we just try to reduce our sodium intake.

Funny part, on the way out after depositing our trays, I see a guy adding two salt packets to his fries.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  2. spdandpwr

spdandpwr Low-Roller

Your low sodium affects your sensitivity to it. I agree that McD's is too salty, especially the fries, but if you're used to a low sodium diet, the saltiness stands out more. I personally think salty things taste funky...I don't why some people like it so much. Worse combo: sweet and salty. Maybe I'm the one with weird tastes haha

3. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your food selection added to your observation...

Big mac... two patties loaded with salt, special sauce loaded with salt
    Quarter pounder... Big patty loaded with salt
    Fires...loaded with salt

Chicken nuggets are not very salty, chicken sandwich isn't very salty, apple slices aren't very salty...

Regardless of where you eat, there is something on the menu that is very salty... you just happened to pick them at McDs.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Salt. The American dream. lol

My thing is garlic powder. Man. I eat gobs of garlic, but that dried stuff is just nasty. You actually have to watch a lot of _____ powder products, for salt and other additives. For instance, buy "ground chile" not "chile powder."

5. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I visited a Progresso soup plant in the late 1980's, there was a little conveyor that dropped a cube of salt into each can before the lid was put on. It was bigger than a sugar cube.

6. ken2v

I get a kick out of processed goods -- and, hey, we all need/use processed goods -- touting "reduced sodium" and then you read the label and learn you're now only getting 40 percent of your daily quota, from that one product, instead of 75 percent.

And it is a good idea to use good culinary salt at home -- kosher, sea, whatever. Salt is not a base constituent, it is a flourish, an elaboration.

7. Geogran

Geogran OTD Tea Sipper

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe apple slices aren't very salty in the package, but after I add 2 packets of salt, just a bit on the salty side - lol - for me, apples just cry out for salt... The fries are way too salty for me..

8. BreakEven

BreakEven Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only 2nd trip for year :(
  9. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't notice the sodium at McD's but I do at places that are even saltier than them. Long John Silver's stands out as one. Some sit down places like Olive Garden and Red Lobster are hard for me to take, too.

10. Lovegas95

Lovegas95 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed. America is very salty. I see people put salt on watermelon.

Must...Go...To...Vegas!!
  11. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    McDonald's fries are so salty.

My doctor told me to watch my salt intake.

So I watched my intake of salt as I devoured those delicious fries.:evillaugh

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  12. ken2v

A bit of salt on something sweet can really make the flavor leap -- a dark chocolate caramel with a whisper of crunchy salt? Wow.

My comment previously does not mean I'm against salt, not remotely. It is one of the key building blocks. Folks should just think about it before instantly reaching for the iodized salt in the shaker.

13. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We know Ken is already salty enough! :poke: :evillaugh

I had to laugh at your comment about salt being the American Dream. Took me back to my undergrad learning about the salt trade in Africa where salt was traded for gold. If only I could use it as currency now. (Changing 100....pounds of salt)

Downtown - Wanker Returns after baby!
    Wanker Returns After Baby
  14. ken2v

I'm hurt.

And to think, this trained historian wasn't even thinking the history angle. lol Just contemplating all the meals we've prepared only to have someone's first act, even before tasting anything, being reaching for the salt pot.

15. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn I thought for sure that was the angle you were going for.

Downtown - Wanker Returns after baby!
    Wanker Returns After Baby
  16. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah salt. does a body good.

Mom puts salt on watermelon which i always found strange but to each his own.

17. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get the sweet/salty thing (chocolate covered pretzels were a favorite childhood snack of mine) but I do think salt on watermelon is weird. But some people put sugar on tomatoes and I find that off-putting as well. But whatever makes you happy ;-)

18. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Joe,,,,,,, are you crazy !!!!~!????
    You post a thread about moving out of VEGAS !!!!
    Now, you post about McD's being too salty ????
    How many friends are you trying to make around here ?
    Next thing you'll do is TELL THE TRUTH,
    We can't HANDLE THE TRUTH !!!!!!!!

19. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you have any brand names for the ground chile? I can't find anything flavourful. Some mistake hot for flavour. If I knew what to look for, I'd pick something up in the US.

20. ken2v

We don't buy much from grocery stores and no "brand" named spices, unless it is something like Old Bay.

penzeys.com has ground ancho: https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/ancho-chili-pepper-ground/c-24/p-896/pd-s

We get most of ours from Jane Butel: http://www.janebutelcooking.com/Public/PecosValleySpiceCo/index.cfm

These guys are not cheap, but Chimayo chile is damn nice: https://sites.google.com/site/chimayochile/

And when we are in southern AZ we always stop by Santa Cruz Chili and Spice Company, mostly for the paste. http://www.santacruzchili.com/products.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.