1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

McCarran Airport Inside Shuttle to Baggage Claim

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by JWVegas, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWVegas

JWVegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flying on Southwest to Vegas tomorrow. Was looking for any info on the shuttle/tram inside McCarran airport. Was hoping to get a ride to baggage claim. Is that where it goes?

Anyone have any instructions on how to get to the shuttle after departing a Southwest plane and what the procedure is to ride the shuttle? Is it free? Is it better and quicker than the moving walkways? Any info appreciated.

2. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're on Southwest, I don't believe that you take the shuttle, as you walk down the terminal, and when you go down the escalator, you are already at baggage claim.

If you were on Delta/United/American, you would have to take a tram from the D gates to the baggage claim area.

I think that may be what you're thinking of?

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it depends on which gate you arrive at. Most SWA flights we walk to baggage claim and the walk feels good after sitting for 4 hours.

The last flight in May, the tram seemed to be the only option. I wish I could recall which gate it was. I think SWA only uses one terminal? Or, could be one of the many times I'm wrong and they use two terminals.:poke:

Christmas
  4. suecasey

suecasey Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you arrive at the A or B terminal gates, you simply walk to the escalator, go down one level, and you're at baggage claim.

If you arrive at the C or D terminal gates, you get on the tram, which takes you to baggage claim. No charge. Just follow the other people who get off your plane.

5. JWVegas

JWVegas Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sue.... I've flown Southwest for the last several years to Vegas and although I'm not sure what gates we arrive at, it was always a loooooooong walk to baggage claim.

Do you know if Southwest has changed gates in the past year that are closer to baggage claim or were you just making the statement that the A and B gates were located closer to baggage claim than the C and D gates?

6. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The tram only goes to baggage claim(or from it to the gates), if you arrive at either the c or d gates, you dont have any choice. It only lasts about a min and you're there.

7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of what's been said above is "spot-on"... but SWA only flies into B & C gates, so don't worry about A or D... if you arrive at the B gates, which is a round sort of hub, you have to walk (no tram over there) and it's a good jaunt, but is mitigated somewhat by a couple of those long people-mover walkways.

If you arrive at a C gate under 14, the tram (it's free and fast) is very accessible and goes right to the top of the baggage-area and you take an escalator down. If you arrive at the higher number C gates, 20 and above, it's easier to take a left and just walk to the baggage area than it is to go right down to the tram and get on. There's a couple people mover walkways if you walk towards the baggage area from the C gates too.

Another tip... all the SWA baggage carousels are on the left side when you go down the escalators to the baggage area and are numbers 2,4,6 and 8... your flight number will be clearly displayed on the electronic sign and will start flashing when you flight's luggage arrives... it's generally pretty quick.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  8. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Smartone....

Thanks!!

Flying in on SWA in one month, and that info is quite helpful!

9. tldbucs

tldbucs Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I are so excited when we get there we never noticed how long, or short the walk was to baggage claim!!lol

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha! That's one of my favorite this about people-watchin' at the Vegas airport! It's never difficult to tell who's comin' and who's goin' home. The arrivals are laughin' and have a "pep in their step" like no tomorrow... the departers are usually draggin' anchor BIG TIME!!!

11. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still get confused. I used to take the tram to baggage area. Since they changes the terminals I have walked to the carousel which is a good walk. I see the tram right there so I must be in operation. But I agree the walk feels good after flying in from the east coast. I usually land at a C Gate.

Jimbo338

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1 -ONLY goes to baggage claim.

2 - Procedure? You get on, ride to the end, and get off.

3 - Free? Never, ever, ever seen an airport shuttle that costs anything.

Should you take shuttle or not? All depends on which gate you arrive at. See Concourse C map

Not that anyone asked, but if we have the option to walk vs shuttle/tram, we walk. After being jammed into the flying sardine can, and having to wait for bags anyways, we prefer to stretch our legs.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.