1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

May 19-21st Cosmo and Paris

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by vic568, May 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vic568

vic568 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Headed out to Vegas May 19-21st. Like a lot of people, the TRs people write help with tips and such and I always find some information that helps in the planning of our next trip. Hubby and I were married our first trip to Vegas in 2001 and since then it's been our favorite vacation place. Always amazed on what changes in the four months in between. I'll try and keep it short and not bore anyone.

Flew in on Southwest out of Cleveland NS on early Tues morning. Only issue is Cleveland airport is now kind of a mess since they are in remodeling stages for the Convention next year. Left in plenty of time but the security line was a mess. Don't know how my husband always gets the Pre check.........and I never do. Took me 30 min to get through security and they were already boarding when I got to the gate. So much for EB boarding. Oh well, we still sat together and the flight was uneventful.

Rented a car through Advantage and got one free day using their club membership. $74 for the three days. Drives me crazy on how they try to upsell everything. The answer is NO. You want to upgrade me? Give it to me for the price I've already committed. (rant over)

Rooms:
    We checked in at the Cosmo for the three nights. We'd each gotten an offer for free nights and about $150 in free play. We just went through marketing even though we have a host at the Cosmo, but we had friends joining us and they don't gamble much so we weren't sure what kind of play we would be doing. No matter what, we always find a way to gamble! We checked in about 11am and the room was ready. The interesting tidbit on this was I kept getting emails about early check in. That if we wanted to check in early, there would be a fee. Well, we decided to just go for it and not pay any attention to that and do the usual of 'be nice' etc when we were checking in and see what happens. Turns out there is a huge line at check in for a Convention and we are both thinking, this is going to suck not being able to get in the room. However, wasn't a problem. The guy at checking tried to upsell us to the wraparound terrace suite for $100 a night. We almost did it but we figured we would not be in the room that much this trip since we had a full itinerary. Got a studio suite facing the fountains. I wanted the spa tub so the studio was fine for us. The one bedrooms with the Japenese soaking tubs are bigger and nicer, however, one too many drinks in that thing and I'd probably drown. I like the jacuzzi tub in the other room better.

Unpack and head over to the Paris and check in there for our friends. Again I booked online for the room since we didn't have any special requests. If we would have been by ourselves I would have. This trip my husbands best friend of 40+ years, and his wife are driving down from Utah to join us so we just wanted a nice place for them to stay comped. Red Room that overlooked the pool and nice view of the fountains from that angle. They were more than pleased and so were we. This room came with an offer for $250 free play which we turned in to $300 playing $5 VP. Always a nice way to start the trip.

Shows:
    Tuesday night we did a show at the Smith Center. It was Frankie Moreno "Under the Influence". Wasn't sure what to expect. He used to play at the Stratosphere and I have been wanting to see him. The 'Under the Influence" descriptor of the show was how different music 'influenced' him and jazz. Tonight's performance had the Mozart theme and he had as backup the Las Vegas Children's String Symphony. Part of the show was rehearsed and other parts were not. Totally blown away. The symphony was comprised of kids ages 13-18 and they were truly gifted. We got a little jazz and a little orchestra and the two together were awesome. He has a few more weeks of this tour. Last week he did a tribute to James Brown with a full choir (that would have been great also) Tickets were $30 each. The venue was top notch and so were the acoustics.

Thursday night we went and saw Jersey Boys at Paris. Always a great show. This is the third time we've seen it and it's still as awesome as the first. Our friend's picked up the tab on those tickets and they got a discount somewhere online. I wouldn't pay full price since there are numerous tickets everywhere discounted for this show.

High Roller: Used the free Diamond tickets and then my 2 for 1 with the Platinum. The view was great. Would I do it again? Probably not unless it was at night. Then that would be more than enough. Glad we didn't pay full price.

Pool: Spent two of the afternoons at the Paris pool. Great place to try and rehab it with some sun and a few drinks. Not loud and was able to catch up on some sleep since neither of us can sleep past 6am in Vegas. Doesn't matter what time we come in.

Food:
    Used the $100 Diamond Renewal and hit the buffet at the Paris on Wed night. Cost us about $20 for the four of us with the voucher. I'm not a huge fan of the Paris buffet but Ron and Lil love it. However, the waitress we had was truly awesome and made a huge difference. The waitress offered and brought out steamed crab legs fresh from the kitchen. What a difference. They were awesome. Then she offered wine with dinner. It's comped for Diamond members. I'm not a wine drinker but everyone else is so they were all happy. Just a great waitress throughout the whole experience.

Went to the Wicked Spoon on Thursday night before the Jersey Boys show. IMO, this is one of the best buffets in town. We had a 2 for 1 and paid the rest in points from the Cosmo. Super impressed with the fresh seafood bar where they make what you want to order. Plus everything else we tried was excellent.

As far as any other meals, really, there were none. Unless you count the muffin and coffee in the morning and the copious amounts of alcohol there weren't any others!!!

Gambling:
    So Harry and I thought we wouldn't gamble as much or have time to do it. Ya, right. My highlight was 4Aces with a Kicker on quarters. Couple nice dollar DDB hits and just enough to keep my head above water and come home with about half my bankroll. Oh, and I did hit four points playing craps. Too bad I wasn't maxing my odds bets.

Harry had four out of five excellent craps sessions. He plays full odds all the time so he did very well. One in particular at the Cosmo where he had a great roll himself on hitting five points and then on hot tables. He had one hand pay on a slot machine at the Cosmo for $1400. We were supposed to meet Ron and Lil for dinner and he was late. I was mad about being late till he came to the room, 'but honey, I was waiting on a hand pay!" Yes, he was forgiven instantly.
    Another time, we walked by a roulette table, Harry said I think 17 is going to hit, so he lays down $10 on 17 and the number hits. Unreal!!
    So he had a great trip bringing his bankroll back.

Packed alot in, it was good weather, good gambling and we got to spend some quality time with friends.
    Thanks for reading!!

2. livala

livala Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A fun winning trip with good friends can not be beat! Thank you for taking time to share.

3. sandybeachbar

sandybeachbar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great report. Glad you had a great trip!

4. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you all had a great time. I agree that Wicked Spoon is one of the best buffets in Vegas. Did your friends give gambling a try?

5. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report and I think everybody here loves a Roulette #17 hit!

6. vic568

vic568 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ron gambles very little. However, he does like the free drinks that go along with it so he will dabble. I introduced Lil to DDB video poker. (even though I was showing her the regular bonus poker strategy etc....she liked the higher payouts with DDB) She lost about a hundred and was no longer going to gamble but the last day she won it all back when she started hitting 4OKs! Especially the four 4WK! She made out enough to go buy an new iphone at the end of the trip!!

7. RedRiverRose

RedRiverRose Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great trip report, enjoyed.

8. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome; I bet Lil has "the bug" now.

9. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report!

10. queentata

queentata High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great trip. Nice to hear about that waitress. Wait staff can really make or break a meal, at any price. Nice to spend time with friends AND go home a winner! Well done!

11. Superpocky

Superpocky VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fantastic trip report, so nice of you to take care of your friends coming down from Utah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.