1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

March 2003 and 3 days to go !

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Laura, Feb 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laura

Laura Tourist

My Trip Report

Hi guys,

Everyone was so helpful last year when I was planning my first trip to Las Vegas and I promised I would write a trip report when I got back - sadly this never happened. So - to set the record straight this is a quick run down of what we did last year. This may be a bit boring as neither me or my husband are big gamblers so we basically just took it all in and had a blast.

Flights and Hotel

Flew with Virgin Atlantic from Gatwick, London to San Fransisco – spent 3 days here. Enjoyed Alcatraz and the Sealions. Also weird to see the Golden Gate Bridge for real instead of in a movie !

After 3 days flew from San Fransisco to Las Vegas. Sadly we flew the day that security alerts went from orange to red (this was just as the bombing was being started in Iraq). Security took forever but hey who am I to complain – safety is so important.

Arrived in Las Vegas after a pleasant quick flight and picked up baggage no problem. Headed outside and got a limo to The Venetian.

Wow – all my wildest dreams come true. It really is a spectacular hotel. Our room was amazing – more like a flat than a hotel room. We didn’t have a great view (simply because my husband suffers from Vertigo which means we have to be on a lower floor). This didn’t matter one bit though – I have never been so pleased with a room before !!

Shortly after we arrived things got even better! There was a knock at the door and when I opened it there was a waiter standing holding a silver tray with a bottle of champagne and a huge bowl of strawberries and cream – it was with compliments of the receptionist who had checked us in because she had noted it had just been both mine and my husbands 25th birthday – impressive – I could have died. We were so grateful we called down to thank her. What a start to our 8 nights in LV ! [​IMG]

The holiday is a blur now in terms of all the amazing things we did/saw so I will try to summarise as best I can.

Food

For breakfast we had room service every day which was wonderful – to keep the cost down we realised after the first day that ordering a continental breakfast for one was actually enough to feed the two of us so we did this every day !! Lunch we mainly grabbed a sandwich or burger whilst we were out and about apart from one visit to Mon Ami Gabi which was superb (the weather was great whilst we were there and sitting outside to eat was fab – we only had to wait 15 minutes at the bar without reservations!)

For dinner we didn’t try any really really high end restaurants but ate at Bucanner Bay (TI), Spago (Caesars shops), Andre’s (Mote Carlo), Caramel (bar in Bellagio), Grand Luxe Café – can’t bring to mind anymore. The most noteworthy was certainly Andre’s – the food and perhaps more importantly the service was simply outstanding.

Sites and Shows

We managed to watch the pirate show at TI (which I understand is no longer running), we saw the Bellagio fountains, visited The Secret Garden at the Mirage (didn’t like this very much at all – the enclosures (other than the dolphins) are far too small). We caught the rain storm at desert passage in the Aladdin and checked out the conservatory at Bellagio – all great fun.

Visited two malls – the Fashion Show Mall and another one just outside of Las Vegas that I can’t remember the name of. Visited the Forum Shops, shops at Bellagio, Grand Canal shops at the Venetian – all great to look at but bit hefty on the price tags!!

In the time we were there we walked from one end of the strip to the other and visited every single hotel. I loved Mandalay Bay, Bellagio and Venetian. Bellagio quite snooty though which was a draw back.

We also caught a “took-took†thing one night (guy riding a bicycle dragging a little seating cart) and went from Mandalay bay to mid strip – great fun.

The only show we saw whilst in LV was “O†– my God it was amazing. I loved it. We have never had the chance to see a Cirque show before (although currently they are in London with their touring show “Dralionâ€). I would thoroughly recommend “O†to anyone.

We visited the Grand Canyon with Pink Jeep Tours – went to the West Rim. What can I say – Awesome. No matter how many times you see it on TV/films – nothing prepares you for it in real life. Simply amazing.

Spa and Pool

We both (my husband and I) had treatments at the Canyon Ranch spa. The receptionist first of all looked at us as if we were mad when I asked if the pools/sauna were mixed – a firm “no way†and a dodgy look up and down at me had me confused until I entered the segregated part of the spa for women to find they were all naked !! In the UK this is not really the done thing and a bit of a shock for me to say the least. I kept covered up and had a little chuckle to myself thinking no-wonder the receptionist thought I was crazy ! I had reflexology which was a big mistake as it was so painful – however the spa itself was truly magnificent.

We were a little disappointed with the pool at the Venetian because it was being refurbished while we were there !

Gambling

I don’t really gamble and if I do it tends to be slots because I don’t really have the confidence for anything else. Still on my first day I put $2 in a machine and won $100 – trouble is for the next 7 days I kept trying to repeat this good fortune – ended up loosing the $100 obviously!!

My other half mostly played BJ and was up and down. He played quite a bit at the Monte Carlo because the dealers were so friendly and the table limits were lower. I think he came home up about $200 but he just enjoyed playing on that trip more than anything I think.

Next Trip

We are due to fly out on Tuesday 17th February and this time we are staying at TheHotel (new bit of Mandalay bay) in a suite. Also this time we have my mother and father in-law with us – should be interesting ! We are staying for 7 nights (again flying with Virgin Atlantic) and I cannot wait.

Our principal reason for visiting is that my husband is attending a 2 day conference at Mandalay Bay whilst we are there – still that leaves another 5 days of sheer partying !

Plans this year are as follows:

Peppermills Fireside Lounge
    Bellagio Fountains at Night (can’t believe we missed these)
    Horse Back Riding at Sage Bush Ranch (dinner time)
    Husband wants to play poker this year !
    Dinner and Conference Party at Rumjungle
    Shark Reef
    Dinner at Delmonicos
    Plus everything we did last year !!

I hope this was in some way interesting and am sorry if it reads a little rushed etc. Hope to write a more detailed/more interesting report this time around !!

Laura
    xx
    :D

2. Coaster Kikky

Coaster Kikky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Better late than never, and thanks for taking the time to write it up! I enjoyed reading it. How exciting that you're just a few days away from your return trip. Vegas does that to a person doesn't it? [​IMG]

Had to laugh at your spa reaction. I'm not from the UK or even any other country (unless Vermont counts) but it still took me by surprise to find women lounging around in the nude in the spa. And been there, done that with reflexology. Ouch! I don't think I'll be getting another one of those again anytime soon!

Kitty

3. Bobby

Bobby MIA

Vermont's NOT a country? Next your going to tell me Hawaii is a island. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Coaster Kikky

Coaster Kikky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually...
    Hawaii is eight major islands [​IMG]

And Vermont used to be a Republic, a long time ago...

Kitty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.