1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Map, GPS--mutually exclusive?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Since the route thread is closed, thought we could explore -- pun intended? -- how it is people get around.

I'm an inveterate map person. I never go anywhere without hitting AAA or the bookstore/travel store and getting the pertinent map(s). Now I'll use the various mapping functions on my smartphone if I'm in, say, Santa Barbara and want to find BevMo. And the phone is essential when dealing with traffic. But I'd never head out on a road trip without a pile of maps. Nav's great for point to point, but route planning, going walkabout? No thanks.

You?

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate gps. We've named the one in my husband's car "Crazy Sarah". We use it for point to point, or we'll adapt it when we know the route we want to take just so we can have it giving audible instructions. But I'm totally a map person. Ken, we still have atlases in our cars! USA and NC, plus I've got a few local maps for the areas where I travel somewhat regularly.

I have started doing my own Google maps with locations marked for domestic trips (hotel, shops, restaurants I want to try, etc) and I love that I can pull that up on my phone, but I'll still review maps before I leave home or my hotel room to get a general idea of the layout of the area.

Did I mention I love maps? Antique replica maps hang in my library:thumbsup:

3. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no cell, no gps.

i will look at a map at home, mentally mark a few landmarks and take the trip.

i always remember a too far point such as if i see a certain street, I have gone too far.

I used to teach land navigation as a survival instructor at SERE so moving around without a map is second nature to me.

4. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my preferred usage is Google Maps on my cell for the lay of the land. i'm a visual learner, so if i look at the route on a map, i generally remember it. i don't really use the GPS much, but for long drives, it is nice to get that audio reminder when you need to exit. one time i was in long drive zombie mode and i missed my exit without realizing it and kept driving for an hour in the wrong direction. ended up adding 2 hours to the already long trip. :(

5. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a planner. When traveling, before we leave we will decide what restaurants we will be eating at and places we will be visiting
    Then I use Google Maps to get directions from our hotel and print them out.

I don't have internet access on my phone. I just don't have a need for it and internet access on a phone is too slow for my taste.

There are times on the road internet access on a phone would be very useful for getting directions. The few times a year I need it does not justify paying $30.00 or $40.00 a month for internet access on a phone. If I want to know where a restaurant or store is I will use 411 to find out the phone number for the closest location and call and get directions. I don't like bothering someone for directions, but it is rare.

One time, I called the concierge at a hotel we were staying to ask for directions. Tipped him when we got back to the hotel.

My next vehicle will have a navigation system.

Does anyone know if all the Garmin navigation devices are capable of searching for stores and restaurants near a location?

6. Aero

Aero Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My 'getting around' methods have changed a ton over the last few years...

2005 - All Maps, planning, and memorization. No car, the deuce or taxis everywhere. We stuck mostly to the strip with one trip downtown per trip. No Vegas Message boards.

2008 - Laptop loaded with maps and information so each day's plans may be executed. Pockets still full of maps and information, just less of it. Rental car is essential.

2010 - Smart Phone is used for everything including GPS application. All documents loaded and easily accessed. Most of our time is now spent off-strip around the valley.

7. allustoms

allustoms Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a planner.

I get maps from the auto club so I can visualize the whole area. Google map and print routes out in larger, easier to read quickly form. And then I enter the trip on my GPS and use it most of the time.

I use a mobile GPS, I don't want a factory one in my car. I take it with me whenever we travel. I preprogram addresses I know we will need before we leave and save them on my GPS such as the hotel, restaurants and other places we plan to go to. I still have most of my necessary locations for Vegas stored from last year's trip.

I grab the GPS out of my suitcase as soon as I get to Vegas. My soothing Ausie-accented Garmin will be giving us directions before we clear the checkout booth at the rental pickup. :thumbsup:

I don't know who asked, but my Garmin does pull up various places like the nearest gas, restaurant, shopping, etc. I think just about any brand can do it, just make sure you buy the model that has the capability.

8. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maps. I haven't trusted Google Maps since the time I was looking at my destination (on the other side of a small subdivision. I was looking for a way through it rather than around it) and my phone said to get on the freeway and travel 22 miles south. Give me AAA foldables any day.

9. Bruinfan1

Bruinfan1 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Map guy from the time my grandfather showed me his collection of roadmaps from across the West. Official navigator of family roadtrips. Some people on this board gamble a little. I read maps a little. :beer:

But your title asks if maps and GPS are exclusive. No...at least that's what I tell my folks. Maps (for me) are for figuring out where to go. GPS is for when I've failed to go where I want to go, and would like some immediate assistance. Second set of "eyes" in unfamiliar territory shouldn't be a bad idea. May not be the best idea...but if I failed to use the map successfully the first time, I'm willing to let someone else take a shot at it next....

I'm quite fine w/o GPS, but happy to let it track my average speed...and if necessarily bail me out of whatever I got myself into. (Also a Microsoft Streets & Trips heavy user since 2000? and big Google Maps fan. Paper is when I'm disconnected or w/o power.)

10. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't remember the last time I picked up a paper map.

If I'm in a place where I haven't been before, I'll generally have my GPS along. If I am driving a long ways(3+ hours), I will look up the route beforehand on google maps to plan it out. I prefer taking back roads rather than just spend 3 hours on an interstate. So while I will use my GPS in these cases I will ignore it when I want as well.

11. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Both.

Google maps, smartphone. Don't use the car GPS much anymore, but prefer it on long trips to smartphone as a little more accurate.

I'll still def run and print the google maps on any trip of length. I like the GPS for reminders, which my smart phone doesn't have. I like the smart phone cause it can show the full map making it easy to see route progress.

OH and I almost forgot. My most common method of navigation is "Wife Voice Command".......

"Slow down Clark"

"I don't know why Ellen, we're making good time"

12. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to say "both".

I have planned road trips by map for way too long to mention. I can't do it at all with the phone or gps. I try with some desktop options, but nothing beats spreading out a big AAA map on the dining room table and perusing through guide books making notes on the map. I think those sticky note flags are the greatest invention since the map pin. :)

But once I'm on the road, I much prefer the gps to the map. That giant, unwieldy book or piece of paper is so much more complicated than the gps. If I plot out our routes and waypoints, even better. (I'm still learning)

Also, we have a fun little game we play in the car where we defy the crazy GPS lady. I worry Dan takes a bit too much joy in shouting, "Screw you, GPS Lady! You're not the boss of me."

13. DonD

DonD Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    GPS and Google maps. I wasn't aware they still made paper maps. Oh, I don't use a slide rule anymore either.

14. mikenhe

mikenhe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    google earth when I'm planning a trip. taking way longer than paper maps because I can easily get distracted on google earth and go off looking at points of interest online and street view etc.

most routes I remember the main points and let the maps function on my phone do the rest. I'm not adverse to pulling over somewhere interesting and checking out the area and rest of the route. add a nice distraction. I'll also use maps for walking new areas/ bus routes etc.

not sure I could let the phone go now... although it is over two years old and I'm patiently waiting for a new one in the mail (ok - not so patiently).

15. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will say my husband's portable gps was great in Venice. He downloaded the maps for the city and it made getting around a lot easier. Especially once I entered the points for the Nave de Oro stores we found so I could make my way back to them.

(Barrels of wine. Choose a wine, fill a 1 or 2L water bottle for a euro or two. HEAVEN!)

There is one road we take on a regular basis. Crazy Sarah HATES this road. She spends MILES trying to get us to do a u-turn or take a circle road to get back to a bigger road. I wish she'd learn......GPS out in the country (where we live, where we often drive....) can be a big ole PITA. So that's a factor in why I prefer maps as well.....

16. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got my paper map of Seattle from AAA yesterday. And although I don't use it, I still have a slide rule from my college engineering courses.:evillaugh

Christmas
  17. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use online maps and have GPS as a backup.I don't use GPS as my " go to" navigation tool.
    I still like paper maps and a trusty road atlas.

18. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Map = imagination, exploration, discovery, terra incognita conquered.

Device = robot.

19. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see maps and gps units as tools. Both have pros & cons, both can be used by me to get me to my end goal, whatever that is. And whatever that end goal is determines which tools I prefer to use......

20. Uncle Steve

Uncle Steve Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Us atlas
    State maps with dirt roads
    GPS
    Google maps and streetview
    Mapquest
    Smartphone with maps Heck it even has street view.

The smartphone is great for calling up close places to eat. You can even look at reviews on it.

The gps is great for punching up close gas stations as you drive. I also like the way it gives me an estimated time for my trip. My old one is in use in my work pickup that the speedometer/odometer quit working in. Sometimes I will plug in a destination I would rather be at than working and simulate driving there .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.