1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Mandalay Bay Shark Reef-Shark Feeding

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by LolaDoggie, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Alls I know is...I get to feed a shark! :blowkiss:

2. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't get to pick what you feed them Lola so Bob has to stay out opf the tank lol

Lady Gaga and Dierks Bentley Concert Trip
  3. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There you go, ruining my dreams again!

Apparently they take 4 people at a time and they give you a set of tongs and you feed the sharks. I am sooooo excited.

4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How fun! I haven't done it at Mandalay Bay, but did elsewhere. Good stuff.

Sometime ask Dan about how at the aquarium, it's always a bunch of little kids and me, elbowing into the touch tanks. :haha:

5. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been fascinated by/with sharks ever since our time at the Golden Nugget's pool. My husband was running up the stairs to the water slide with a couple of 9-11 year old boys. It was us, and 2 kids using the water slide. I did 2 runs down the slide and that was enough for me but my husband kept going. I'm surprised at how many people we saw who were refusing to get into the pool and/or near the sharks. We had our faces pressed up against the glass. I'm pretty sure the one shark was playing peek a boo with me. He'd go all the way down to the bottom and then pop up right at the glass right in front of me. The one big one would glide past me slowly, moving his eye around. Trying to steal my soul, no doubt.

6. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did this back in February. It was a lot of fun. They let the tourists feed the zebra sharks, which I am convinced are giant puppies. They come right up to the edge and nibble the fish right off the tongs. Make sure and hang around and watch the pros feed the reef and tiger sharks. After watching those beasts eat, I see why they only let the tourists feed the zebra sharks :eek:

Stop #2 of my two week bday extravaganza
    Hard Rock Hollywood, Stop #5 on the bday tour!
  7. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So you're close by, not behind glass when they feed the other sharks?

8. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. The catwalk you stand on when you feed the zebra sharks, they feed the other sharks from the same catwalk. The day I did it they also had a separate pen where the sea turtles ate. That was fun to watch too

9. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like fun! How much and where can I sign up?

10. feeltheheat

feeltheheat Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sounds cool.

11. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had it all comped through my host, so I have no idea how much it costs. I know my lady friend found out about it through the Mandalay Bay website (which is when I called the host), so I would start there in the shark reef encounter section. Don't know the price, but for us the experience included a personal tour of the aquarium by a staff member, a behind the scenes tour where we watched the preparation of the food, feeding the zebra sharks, and watching the trainers feed the other animals. The entire experience lasted a couple hours and was a ton of fun.

Keep in mind, I think they only do the shark feeding on Mondays. Apparently, Monday is chow day for the sharks. They offer other experiences as well. We noticed another group doing something with feeding the sea turtles.

12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I paid $70 right on the website. And it's a Monday morning, 10am. I have to get there early for paperwork and whatnot. I'll probably have to sign something to the effect that they're not responsible for sh!t if I get eaten by a shark. We're getting into town on Sunday evening so I have to stay in decent shape and drive down there from the GN by myself but I think it'll be worth it. My degenerate husband and the other couple we're going with are like "meh" so screw them, more sharks for me!

Hey, do they have special souvenirs for the shark feeders? Fridge magnet? Anything? I know the experience includes pictures.

13. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No special souvenirs, just the pictures. I think you can by larger versions of them. But I don't recall them offering us anything like a magnet. Of course, I'm not into souvenirs, so maybe I am just forgetting. No matter how many folks are in your group, you only get to feed the two zebra sharks. So less people, I guess, means you get to feed them more of their fish pieces. But the actual feeding lasted less than 10 minutes of the entire experience. I will try and post some photos from when I did it

14. UKFanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here are the photos I took

Attached Files:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.