1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

M Resort/Bally's May 10-16, 2014

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by LindaP, May 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LindaP

LindaP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

The 23rd Annual meeting of the Polish Princesses in VEGAS!!! My 3 sisters and I meet up in Vegas every May for fun and profit. Fun is always achieved – profit, only on that rare occasion. This year was pretty special because one of my sisters has worked very hard to lose a BUNCH of weight. The Texas sisters hadn't seen her in awhile and she looked absolutely AMAZING!!! We're so proud of her (and inspired by her). We had a great time seeing her in a new outfit every day and just marveling on how wonderful she looked. She still wants to lose a few more pounds (I honestly can't see it), but GREAT JOB!!!

Travel – We all flew Southwest. We got the TSA pre-check both ways and what a nice difference that made. We literally walked right up to the scanner both ways, bypassing a long check-in line on the way home. Since 2 of us fly out of Dallas, we have to contend with the Wright Amendment which requires Southwest to make a stop before flying to an adjacent state. We had to make a rough landing in Lubbock before flying on to Vegas. But this is the last time we’ll have to do that! The Amendment expires in October and for my November trip, I’ll have the option of a non-stop flight – yeah! We rented a car from Alamo, as usual. It cost $207 for the 8 days – way more than we’ve ever spent! My sister did the $5 parking lot upgrade to the Chevy Impala with the large trunk. We needed every bit of trunk space for the 2 sets of golf clubs and endless pieces of luggage. A shout out to my amazing sister Nancy for her uncanny packing abilities!!!

Hotels – One sister got there a day before the rest of us. She got a free night at Orleans w/$10 dining credit. When the rest of us arrived on Saturday we checked into adjoining rooms at the M Resort (just love those rooms). We spent Saturday and Sunday at M Resort and then moved over to Bally’s for the next 4 nights. We got rooms just a few doors down from each other in the newly remodeled Jubilee Tower. The rooms were very nice – they had a nice chaise lounge arrangement in front of the windows. Counter space in the bathroom was in short supply when sharing a room, and electric outlets were hard to come by. Otherwise we really enjoyed our stay there.

Food – Between us we ate at a lot of buffets: M Resort (dinner - GREAT), Caesars Bacchanal (breakfast - Very Good), Planet Hollywood (lunch - Very Good), the Palms (lunch - Good) and the Gold Coast (breakfast - Good). I think the M Resort is our favorite. I usually start a trip with crab legs and champagne and continued that tradition at the M Resort. We didn’t realize the M Resort buffet closed so early (8pm on a Saturday). We got in line at 7pm and although we had line passes, we didn’t get seated until about 7:30pm. We thought we would be rushed, but we found out that even though 8pm is the posted closing time, they will stay open one hour after the last person is seated (I think they cut the line off at 8pm). We had a late lunch at Bachi Burger one day (just a few miles from Southpoint). We shared a Kiki burger and a Bahn Mi burger, turffled fries, and a spicy chicken appetizer. We enjoyed the meal, but I wouldn’t rush back. We also had a snack at Le Burger Brasserie @ Paris/Bally’s. They recently changed their menu and we didn’t think it was for the better. The burgers looked lonely on the large plate with nothing but the burger. Their great onion rings are different – not bad, but not as good as the old ones. Our waitress said they had been receiving a lot of complaints about the new menu. I hope they change it back. We went downtown one day and ate at the 777 Brew Pub at Main Street Station.

[​IMG]

This was our first time eating there and we thought the food was o.k., but we had an absolutely hysterical time reminiscing about our early years in Vegas (we’re cheap now, but back then we used to bring wine boxes and soda cases with us ON THE PLANE!!!).

Shows - We went to Mandalay Bay to see the new MJ One show. We paid $86.85 (with fees) for the cheapest seats in Section 201 and because the show wasn’t full, got moved to section 101, Row Q. While picking up the MJ One tickets, I was also able to pick up my tickets for Zarkana. We generally liked the MJ One show and thought some of the effects were pretty spectacular. We had free MyVegas tickets for Zarkana at Aria. I had 3 premium tickets and 1 standard ticket and when I called to reserve the tickets they put me in the last row of premium seats with 1 ticket in the standard section (section 403). When I went to pick up the tickets, the seats had been changed and all seats were in the premium section (Section 204, Row Q). Only one of us really liked the show – the rest of us were a little disappointed. I really had trouble seeing the “theme” in this one and didn’t see anything that I hadn’t seen in several Cirque shows before. We checked at the last minute on tickets for Rod Stewart @ Caesars. We got the cheap seats for $49 and were in the last row of the last section (no taxes or fees if you pay with points). That theater is so well arranged though, we thought the seats were pretty good. We thoroughly enjoyed Rod. He’s pretty laid back and his orchestra and vocal back-up are all excellent. He completely charmed the audience when after performing a new arrangement, congratulated himself and the rest of the performers for not “effing” it up! I think my favorite show, however, was the free taping of the Dennis Bono radio show at the Southpoint. We saw his show last November and really loved it, but this time it just had everything. Clint Holmes was one of his guests and holy crap, what a performer he is! (Clint Holmes performs the first weekend of every month at the new Smith Center downtown) Dat Phan, the comedian who won the first “Last Comic Standing” show (and also beat out Ralphie May) was also a guest. He did about 10 minutes of stand-up. Other guests included Ron and Lisa Smith doing a tribute to Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme’. Peter Pavone performed Folsom Prison Blues as Johnny Cash. Regulars Ronnie Rose and Corrie Sachs were also there. It was just an outstanding show – something for everyone. The Dennis Bono show is every Thursday at 2pm. You can pick up free tickets (one per player’s card) at the box office beginning at noon on Wednesday.

Golf – Two of my sisters are avid golfers. They spent a few hours one day at the Taylor Made golf experience on the strip (used to be Callaway golf center). They saw some cute golf clothes in the pro shop, but the prices were a bit high. A fellow golfer recommended the outlet stores at the south end of the strop. They went to the outlet mall a few days later and made some excellent purchases.

They also played at Stallion Mountain (golfed o.k.) and at Angel Park (golfed better!) Both courses were in great shape. They had a scarey moment at Angel Park when the group behind them thought it would be all right to tee off while my sisters were still in the fairway. One frantic “FORE” later, their ball slammed through my sisters’ golf cart (with them in it), and ricocheted off the windshield. Neither one of them got hurt, but man, that was too close.

[​IMG]

New Stuff – We played a little at the new Cromwell – it looks so nice and clean in there. There were so many nicely dressed, attentive cocktail waitresses. They place your order on an IPAD and someone else brings it to you shortly after. I played some penny slots. I cashed out 6 cents, but the printer jammed. I pushed the button for assistance and moved to the next machine. 20 minutes later no one had come to unjam the paper. For 6 cents, I’ll just leave. We also walked through the new LINK area. They were doing a pretty good business back there, but we did not see a single person on the observation wheel, The High Roller. The price for a ride after 6pm was listed as $34.95. That seemed a bit high to us and evidently a lot of other people. If they lowered the price, I’ll bet that thing would be full all the time.

Gambling – For the most part, gambling wasn’t that great. I started out slow and deteriorated to awful pretty quickly. I was down about $1400 when I hit a $1400 progressive royal at Bally’s to bring me back to even – thank God!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a very welcome surprise!!

[​IMG]

One sister hit a progressive nickel royal for $300+ at Orleans.

We group played the Megabucks in the high limit area at Bally’s. We all (and a few people from home) chipped in $20 for a total of $140. We ran it through twice and ended with $420 for a small profit for everyone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Every trip my mother gives us money to play for her. We NEVER win her any money but this time my sister hit a 4 OAK on her last spin to give my mom a profit for the first time in a long time! I had heard about the new “Free Bet Blackjack” game and we played that at Gold Nugget downtown. One sister did very well, getting lots of “free bets”. We really liked the game and I hope more places add it. I had some luck at another blackjack variation – the 3-card poker side bet. At one session at Bally’s I hit a 3 OAK twice ($100 on a $5 bet), along with a few flushes and straights. I tried the BJ 3-card bet a few other times on the trip, but that session at Bally’s was the best. I came home with almost all my bankroll so I consider this a very successful trip!

Free Play – Between us we had free play at M Resort, Bally’s, Orleans, Gold Coast, 4 Queens, the Quad and the Palms. While downtown, one sister won $25 in free play at the free slot pull at 4 Queens. While the golfers were golfing, we went to play bingo at Gold Coast. I got down to one number – needing just the hot ball for a big win, but it was not to be. We did the free video poker tournament at the Senior Bonus Day at Gold Coast (Monday) and my sister won $50 in free play from that. When we checked into Bally’s we got a coupon book that included $10 match play @ Bally’s, $10 play @ Rio, $10 slot play @ the Quad and a free slot tournament @ the Quad. Not a bad coupon book!

Birthday celebration – My sister’s birthday was the day we arrived. My niece bakes her a cake every year with a different theme. This year’s celebrated her love of golf. The cake was absolutely delicious! When we checked in at M Resort we mentioned it was my sister’s birthday – they sent up a beautiful cupcake along with birthday wishes. Nice touch.

[​IMG]

Weather - The weather this trip was practically perfect. The temperatures were in the mid-80’s to mid-90’s. It got up to 100 the day we left.

Notes for next year – We have GOT to see Clint Holmes at the Smith Center!

That's it - thanks for reading!

- Linda in TX

2. Keyma623

Keyma623 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for report...sounds like a fun time.

3. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoyed your reports, thanks for sharing!

4. sandybeachbar

sandybeachbar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really enjoyed your tr. Great couple of rfs too!

5. JosieCat

JosieCat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very nice trip report - loved the pictures. Congrats on the royals.

6. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you ladies really enjoyed your annual Polish Princesses Vegas Extravaganza; I always enjoy reading about it. Did you have to finish with the cake photo?! I'm craving sweets something fierce now lol. Congrats on the Royal! Did you get any photos of the Jubilee rooms?

7. pinklime

pinklime Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice report! You had lots of fun with your sisters and even made a few bucks, that's a winning trip for sure. Congrats on your royal, I'm still waiting for mine....

8. higgiel

higgiel Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the enjoyable trip report. And congrats on the royal, which came just in time for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.