1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

LV Marriage Licenses

Discussion in 'Vegas Weddings' started by HoyaHeel, Dec 21, 2009.

1. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. AStack75

AStack75 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you get married, do you have to give the wedding chapel your marriage license permanently or do they give it back? Just wondering if I should be making a copy of it for record keeping purposes or not when I get it.

3. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm-never thought about that. I think in NC (where I was married) you mail in the license with the signatures from the wedding and they mail you back the marriage certificate proving the legal marriage. I made copies of that - to send in for name changes, give to Social Security etc. The wedding license only gives you permission to marry - it's the marriage certificate you need to keep for all the things to do after the wedding. I don't think Ken covered this in his book Neon Nuptials either....:evillaugh

Yahoo Answers has some responses on the topic:http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090317203513AA9eKVQ

4. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
  5. LesTyler

LesTyler Guest

When we got married in Vegas last year they gave us a "keepsake certificate" but it's not an official copy. You have to complete the form and mail in a written request for a certified copy within 15 days of getting married.

Don't quote me on this, but from what I can remember, the minister who performed our wedding sent in a set of signed documents and then we had to mail our request for an official certified copy.

I do know that the lady at the courthouse made a big deal about making sure you completed the forms and sent in for your official copy right away so you probably want to make sure you do this asap :)

Also, one last thing - I'd recommend going to get your certificate the day before you plan on getting married if you can. It can be a bit confusing getting there if you're driving yourself and sometimes the lines get long. We went the day before and I'm glad we did because we would have been way too stressed out trying to do it the morning of our wedding day.

6. Dans Lady

Dans Lady Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sent an email to the clerk as I had questions about the pre-application.

My problem? My name is not correct on my birth certification or my driver's license. My BC was issued before it became the norm to have the parents look over the BC to make sure it was correct.

DL has my 'legal' name but is correctly spelled every time I sign it.

My Social Security card has my correct name. I figured that a government issued document would trump a state issued document. Well because it doesn't have a photo ID, they won't accept it (and they wonder how SSA gave me a card without a correct BC).

So please make sure that your name is correct otherwise it will remain that way. It's gonna cost me $40 just to have two letters added to my first and middle names....:grrr: