1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Lurker from Texas finally posting

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by qoolness, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qoolness

qoolness Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Been a lurker on this board for some time, but now I am a poster. My wife and I are unabashed fans of gaming and everything about LV and I have been to Vegas two dozen times - a handful even before i was of age.

I'm in my early 30s and she is in her late 20s and for the first time we are going to be taking our newest addition - our eight month old. It should be interesting.

I love the ease of flying but this month we are driving up. It was never too bad before when I lived in El Paso and when I lived in Phoenix, but now farther into Central Texas, it is going to be more of a haul.

I love all the information on this board and that I can always find things that I didn't know about reading your posts.

Quick question ... where is the best place for a low roller to cut his teeth in craps?

2. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome fellow Texan!!!

3. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to the board. Have fine drive through the American West. Have any planned stops along the way for sight seeing? Lots to see and experience.

later, GVJ

4. sybgal

sybgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome to board! Hope you have a great trip!!

5. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting!

Where to start craps? Answer: downtown. Specifically, someplace friendly with low minimums.
    My list: California & Main Street Station. Both cater to Hawaiians, who are pleasant, and the dealers tend to be pleasant also.

Next on list would be: Four Queens, Binion's, Fremont.

Golden Gate is rowdy, but fun. Younger players. Same for The D.

El Cortez attracts a older clientele. IMHO, a little surly at times.

Next topic.......

Your driving plan interested me because I have made the drive from the Houston area to Las Vegas and back several times.

Once, my son, d-i-l, and their 7 mth girl rode home with me. That was actually a very nice trip. Not sure that It would work as well, now that she is 3 years old.

Anyway, if you are interested in routes & places to stay along the way, I will be glad to make suggestions.

Best wishes. Hope you enjoy Central Texas. My family settled there prior to the Civil War.

6. qoolness

qoolness Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still have family in El Paso and Phoenix, so we are driving into EP and staying for a couple of days with the in-laws before heading up.

A whole bunch as a matter of fact. Both of my b-i-l's and my m-i-l are coming also to help watch the kiddo.

I think we are going to make a pit stop in Phoenix to see some of my clan, and possibly hole up for one night.

I saw that there is some new construction between PHX and LV. Any reason to look for alternate routes? When I was a college kid I made the trek quite a bit, but I haven't driven up in 5 or 6 years now that we can afford airfare. I also haven't seen the completed Tillman Bridge, so that will be different.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

7. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am uncertain about new construction between Phoenix & LV.

I used to travel Phoenix to Wickenburg, then 93 to Kingman.

When I last drove, the new bridge at Hoover Dam was not quite open. I always went through Laughlin, then took 95 through Searchlight into Las Vegas.

Your stops in El Paso del Norte and Phoenix are going to break the trip up nicely. I am envious! You are going to have a great roadtrip!

8. Lexlthr

Lexlthr Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome aboard! :beer:

9. topcard

topcard Older than the Stardust!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome from a fellow Texan (DFW area).

I would suggest the el cortez downtown. Their crap table is a $3 minimum. Hard to get beat up too badly at that level, and the croupiers seemed very receptive to helping the newbies I saw playing there.

Best of luck... especially with that drive (ugh!).
    Personally? Assuming by "central texas" you mean the Austin area, I would check the SW Airline fares for your trip... RT tix may actually prove to be less than RT gasoline and motel/meal costs associated with driving.

But of course, that's your call.
    :beer:

Seems like forever from now, but the flights are booked, so it counts!
  10. maximus56k

maximus56k Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Qool I live in Austin and drive every time 3 or 4 times a year now. The construction at Wickenburg is minimal but we leave TX at a time that gets us through all of Phoenix and Wicky early in the a.m. and usually on a weekend so we avoid that wonderful Phoenix traffic and any construction delays. They have been working on Hwy 93 all the way to I-40 or a long time but it is looking close to done and pretty nice now. I'll be headed out there right after July 4th weekend so maybe we'll cross paths. Good luck and hope you have a safe drive up.

11. robert m.

robert m. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maximus,

Your entry reminds me of a big mistake I made 6 or 7 years ago. I had completed a weekend school board convention in San Antonio on a Saturday afternoon.

My initial plan was to depart the Marriott on Riverwalk at 7a.m. on Sunday morning, and drive through to Lordsburg, N.M.

However, I awoke at 4 a.m., excited about the trip. Unable to return to slumber land, I hopped in the cat & hit the road.

Obviously, there was no traffic on the San Antonio freeways, and I felt pretty smart, riding on a cruise control at the speed limit.

However (here's the big mistake), by Boerne, I began to see dead deer on the shoulder of I-10. Presumably hit by 18 wheelers during the night.

Well, between Boerne and Kerrville, I saw MANY live deer near the shoulders of I-10. My cruise control clicked off, and it was a very anxious time.

Only then did I remember the advice of a friend who takes motorcycle trips: " I never ride my bike in the dark in the Texas Hill Country -- too many deer! ".

Only made that mistake once.

12. maximus56k

maximus56k Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I laughed when I saw what you wrote! When I leave I always pick my Aunt & Uncle up in BOERNE! The "dead deer zone" is what we call it. He is president of his local Harley Chapter and they worry more about deer than they do drunk drivers! Over a ton of trips we figured out in the early a.m. like when you left you are far better than say 10 to midnight. And of course when the rut starts! They should lower the speed limit for that!:eek:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.