1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Low sugar drinks

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by VegasTrekker, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasTrekker

VegasTrekker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do any of the frozen drink places, particularly on Fremont St, have any drinks that are reduced sugar or sugar free? The ones I've had before were soooo sweet. I'm not diabetic (yet) but try to cut back on sugar whenever possible. I could always get just a small one, but what fun is that.

2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I haven't found one, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone does.

For low sugar drinks, I'm having a hard time finding something I like. So far the best is vodka/soda with extra lemons. But yeah, it's no margarita! :)

3. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you looking for a "low sugar" drink or more specifically a drink that simply doesn't taste so sweet?

I have purchased the stuff to make the one of the frozen drinks at home and it doesn't taste sweet but there is a lot of sugar.
    If this is what you want you have options like adding an extra shot or two to curb the sweetness.

If you simply want low sugar for health/diet reasons you will probably be better off getting a mixed drink with a diet soda or skip the soda and just do shots. :thumbsup:

4. carolineno

carolineno High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Add me to the list of people interested in the low sugar cocktail. I haven't found a low sugar slushie yet. I'm thinking maybe the mojito slush at Fat Tuesdays might have the least sweet taste/sugar (but still a ton) of the choices on a menu.

I was drinking dirty martinis but sometimes I want something a bit sweet, so I do the gin gimlet now, and ask the bartender to back off on the lime syrup a bit.

Let us know if you find one! :drunk:

5. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let me know if you find anything. I'd be interested. I know those slushie drinks are pre-mixed, the slushie part anyway. Hopefully somebody recognizes there's a market for sugar free and goes for it.

I've switched to vodka soda with lime as my regular drink. My old regular drink is Jack and Ginger which is now a treat for me.

6. spicole

spicole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In order to make a good quality frozen alcoholic beverage, the solution needs a high amount of sugar. Sugar or alcohol alone will normally depress the freezing point of water. However, with a high enough brix level (the ratio of sugar to the solution) you can freeze a beverage with quite a bit of alcohol. Simple(?) chemistry, not demand, has dictated that frozen alcoholic drinks are very sugary and sweet. Simply put - decent sugar free frozen drinks are tough to come by.

There are some outstanding low-sugar margaritas available on the rocks, most often marketed as "skinny" ritas. These usally include just tequila, lime juice, triple sec (or a heavier hitter like Cointreau) and maybe some agave syrup for a sweetener. Liquours like triple sec typically have quite a bit of sugar in them.

7. sakurajen

sakurajen Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm imagining a yard-long sweetened with sorbitol or mannitol. :eek:

Very bad idea!!!

8. shokhead

shokhead I'm no big spender!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shots or the use of seltzer or club soda. Tonic has like 15g of sugar. Straight on rocks is the best one can do as far as sugar I guess.

Here we go again!
  9. VegasTrekker

VegasTrekker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was hoping for a half yard slushie type drink, both lower in sugar and not overly sweet. I may just bring my glass from a previous trip and mix up something in the room.

10. VegasTrekker

VegasTrekker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That would make for a lot of bathroom trips.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.