1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Lottery Corp Tracks Down $50million Winner

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Julie888, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some people have all the luck. Nuts

3. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know this is supposed to be a feel good type story, but I have a few problems with it:

1) The lottery corporation has never gone and hunted down a winner before. When they have a big prize that is unclaimed they do put out press releases and its in the news and newspapers, but in this case they actually went out and did an investigation to find this person.
    And there has been multi million dollar prizes in the past that went unclaimed.

2) The lottery policy in Canada is that you have a year to come forward and claim your prize, if you do not then you forfeit it... so they are making an exception in this case.

3) It seems a little implausible that the drug store has video footage from a year ago

4) She could have been buying the ticket for somebody else or as part of a group

5) There are actual far reaching ramifications to giving her the prize: if the prize went unclaimed it would have been forfeited, so the prize would have gone back in to the LottoMax as "MaxMillions" prizes, or more specifically as fifty $1,000,000 prizes all given away in a future draw.

Again, I know its supposed to be a seasonal feel good story, but the lottery shouldn't be breaking its own rules and bending over backwards in just one case. As the news article explains they still have $22,000,000 in outstanding unclaimed prizes for this year... are they going to try and track down every one of those people too and give them extra time to claim their prize or award them the prize if they don't have a ticket?

4. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first question watching the TV coverage was why are they doing this. They said they had ads reminding folks and 348 folks had come forward with a story that they had to eliminate.

I don't question the camera footage. They know exactly when and where the ticket was purchased and probably were picking up all video almost immediately.

I do agree it has opened a can of worms that others who think they had lost a big ticket will be reacting. The lottery corp has sent a message that they do this.

I also would have preferred that the money go back in so I could win some of it. :wink2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.