1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

loss of appetite and nausea feeling, whilst in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by regg0, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. regg0

regg0 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are from the UK, and regular visitors to las Vegas. In recent years each visit I tend to lose my appetite and get the feeling of nausea after meals. Also suffer from small burst blood vessels in the nose. We have travelled all over the world and I have no such effects, only Las vegas. My wife sometimes also suffers with the blood vessel in the nose problem, but never the loss of appetite etc., The strange part is as soon as we are on the plane coming home and the cabin is pressurised. everything returns to normal. In fact I can eat the airline food no problem. Ive tried looking up various things and can only come up with the fact that Las Vegas is 2500 ft above sea level, and all documents I have read mainly say that anything below 3000 metres should have little or no effect. We are by the way in our mid 70's.

Has anyone else suffered from similar problems?? If so what remedies did they take (if any)

Thanks for reading

regg0

2. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some people have nose issues due to the very dry air. But loss of appetite? Maybe it's just the subtle differences in food? Like how we prep things, what the animals are etc? When I'm in Europe I can tell a difference. It's not bad, just different. Though often in Vegas I'm eating meals that are much more rich than I'd ever eat normally. I could see your stomach getting upset if you're drastically changing your diet.

3. bobby jones

bobby jones Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't comment on the nausea but, definitely feel the dryness in my nose and lips and eyes coming from a more humid east/central part of the continent. Coming form the UK, a definite difference in the humidity!

4. irmster

irmster Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From the UK also but have never had the symptoms described.

On a related matter, I suffer form chronic migraines, but have less attacks when in Las Vegas. I think it may be connected to the relatively stable barometric pressure, compared to London.

5. Peachiekeehn

Peachiekeehn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No nausea for me unless it's alcohol induced but I do have sinus problems as I'm used to a very rainy environment here in Vancouver. I have started taking a nasal lubricant spray with me and it has made a world of difference. No more daily sinus headaches :)

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm with Peachie on the alcohol. I am not much of a drinker in my real life, but in Vegas I always have a drink in hand. Often the drinking, salty foods and all that walking around in the dry heat is dehydrating and can make me pretty sick. I try to do one drink, one water, one drink, one water, but that tends to start out well in the morning, but.. :wink2:

For the nosebleeds, I've found a shot of Simple Saline spray helps. If it gets bad, a dab of lanosil in the nostrils helps keep things moist and happy.

7. marcianofan

marcianofan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whoa, my daughter goes to UNLV and is in her fourth year and suffers from migraines also. But living in Vegas for the last four years haven't changed her migraines attacks too much (we are from the pacific nw for what it's worth). Actually I just back from Vegas today after 6 days and I caught a cold but no nausea or lost of appetite. What got me feeling crappy was, I think, cigarette smoke. It usually doesn't bother me to much but this trip it seemed especially bad. And I went to basically my usual haunts downtown and on and off the strip. Maybe it's how long the trip is in Vegas, how long the trip to GET to Vegas is, where you're staying, what you're eating etc. or some kind of combination of these???

8. FullPay

FullPay High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Without fail, every trip to Las Vegas I am shocked the first time I see someone light a cigarette indoors. As an ex-smoker I don't get too worked up about it, but that constant stench and breathing second-hand smoke could kill an appetite. I have occasionally had spontaneous nosebleeds and twice I have had bouts of eye watering which left me 'Vegas blind'. Another minor annoyance I associate with the city is static electricity. Some trips I get a shock from every video poker screen and every door handle. Once I get conditioned I find myself taking my wallet out to push the elevator buttons.

9. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The dry air definitely contributes to nosebleeds. Nick Dipaolo had a great line..."Two days in Vegas and the inside of my nose feels like a Triscuit"

10. Pea

Pea Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL

Regg - do you drink more alcohol in Vegas? Alcohol can increase the neurotransmitter Dopamine which can cause nausea and lack of appetite.

11. regg0

regg0 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Many thanks to all, for the various replies.
    Yes I would agree that alcohol can and in a lot of cases cause this feeling, and yes we definitely do drink more whilst we are there, but I genuinely don't believe it is that. We always carry and drink a lot of water. As regards diet, we don't normally eat any different foods than we do at home. As regards the nose bleed part, I will definitely take note of the saline spray. As i said before, the minute we are airborne on the way back this feeling completely disappears. It certainly looks like I'm the odd one out!!! Whatever the cause, it is not bad enough to stop coming and we will still keep on visiting LV whilst we are fit enough and able to do so.

Many thanks once again to all

regg0

12. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I almost always get nosebleeds my first day or two in vegas. I usually find it normalizes and is fine by about day 3. Mild annoyance for me.

13. DRPinVA

DRPinVA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funny, I thought I was the only one....with the exception that I usually use a chip from my pocket :confused2:

14. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I let my wife push it, she's always in a hurry in Vegas so she beats me every time. And I let her. Lol

15. zerofan

zerofan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The saline spray will save you from so many issues when traveling to and from Vegas.

I used to come home and have a cold/stuffy nose a day after landing.

I finally started to bring Saline spray to Vegas and it is something you can use 20x a day if you want - it is only salt and water, no chemicals - do not by Afrin or any nasal sprays like that - just a saline solution.

I promise it will save your nose and sinuses if you use it every day, multiple times a day and also on the plane rides.

16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even though it's more expensive than some of them, I love the Simply Saline spray cans. The mist is really fine and doesn't attempt to drown me like some of the cheaper sprays.

17. smerrian

smerrian Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hold a key in my pocket to avoid the static electricity. As I keep my bankroll in my front pocket also, it keeps my mind at ease keeping my hand in there.

18. DRPinVA

DRPinVA Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

:beer:

19. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't suffer with nose problems but I do lose my appetite somewhat, I do tend to eat lightly in Vegas although to look at me you wouldn't think so lol.

20. Peachiekeehn

Peachiekeehn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't eat as much either but I think it's because I'm full from all the alcohol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.