1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Looking for Hotel Tips

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Dulahey, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Dulahey

Dulahey Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I are headed to Vegas sometime in July to September for our 5th anniversary. Dates are flexible for best deal.

- We're driving, with short stops at the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam.
    - Preliminary plans are showing 5 nights in Vegas, Sunday through Thursday nights.
    - Wife has never been to Vegas before.
    - We are in our low 30's, but we're not party animals.
    - We are minimal gamblers.
    - Most of our time will be walking and exploring the whole strip, so a central location is probably preferred, but not required.
    - We want a nice pool. I'm sure they're all considered nice, so calm and not as crowded is probably the better request. An older crowd, less kids & party animals.
    - Budget is kind of up in the air. I think our limit is going to be $200/night, including resort fees and parking. We're not regulars, so there are no comps. I am open to suggestions such as "stay two nights and get one free" at a cheaper hotel, then splurge a little on two nights at the Wynn or something that's closer to $250/night.

We don't look at the hotel room as ONLY a place to sleep and shower, but we're close to that. We will hang out in the room to relax a little bit, as I'm sure we're going to be walking MILES the first couple of days and will need to rest some. I guess my biggest turmoil is, do we just get a cheap hotel to sleep and shower, such as the Excalibur for $29/night+fees or get a Terrace Studio at Cosmo for about $200/night+fees? Those are not specific places we want to stay at. Honestly, those two don't really appeal to me. I'm just asking you guys if you know a happy medium or good combination.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome onboard the board :wave:

Hmmmmm......I think you will be able to find a nice place to stay in that budget range, we are not pool people so can't help there much. Not being big gamblers won't be a problem, it's still a fun place !

My first thought for you was the Mirage, I enjoy the whole hotel and probably the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in for some reason. Now we mostly stay at the Flamingo If we are on the Strip, but we play enough to get a little bump on the room rate ( but not much ). I have heard the Flamingo pool is a zoo, not sure if that is the case all the time or just weekends.

Another thing to maybe think about is the heat......if you like it hot then July/August are great and hotel rates tend to be a little less, but it is seriously hot....like 100 at midnight hot. The heat mitigates in September some, but rates start to creep up a bit.

One thought might be an off Strip condo place. Most have shuttles to the Strip, and the pools are mellow. We have done that twice in the last couple years and really enjoyed it.........certainly not the Vegas vibe of a Strip stay though.

No matter what you choose you will have a great time !

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might want to check out this thread as well. Mirage would be nice, but there are so many.

4. TedCheddy

TedCheddy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking at it from the pool perspective first, Vdara has a calm pool. We just did three days with a cabana there ($175 / day) and really enjoyed it. You get a semi-private plunge pool which was all we needed to soak. The main pool was never crazy from what we saw and they have a lot of umbrellas available - daybed rentals are also an option for some privacy. The location of Vdara is set back a bit from the strip, but access to Aria, Cosmo, and Bellagio is really easy. The rooms would definitely fit in the budget you're looking at, too.

As mentioned above, Mirage is another nice option. They have the Oasis Pool that is separate from the main pool (usually $50 / chair) and is absolutely worth it. The main pool gets very crowded and just seems so exposed to the sun. The Oasis Pool is very calm and you get some other perks like sorbets, and lemonades brought around during the day. Resort rooms there will be in your price range, and the location is really nice for exploring. They've got decent food options, but you're so close to Caesar's, TI, V/P that food court to fine dining is minutes away.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Being that you are staying Sunday-Thursday, you really have the choice of pretty much all the hotels with a $200/night budget. A few of them may stretch that a little, but as you said, it becomes your own choice if you want to pay more for fancier.

But again, being that you are staying Sunday-Thursday, one thing you might try is booking at one of the lower end hotels and seeing if you can talk (or if you prefer $20 trick) your way into an upgraded room. Mention it is your anniversary and you'd like it to be special, and see where you end up. Worst they can say is no, so if a basic room is fine this could be a sensible approach.

An option that has not yet been mentioned is Bally's. It is not typically thought of as having a good pool, but that is simply because it is boring. A rectangle with a deep end. But that should also keep it less busy, and it is a good size. Bally's would probably be the lowest price option that matches your criteria. The rooms are large and decent, but not high end. You would avoid MGM parking fees.

But really, you are going to have a tough time going wrong. Sun-Thurs, almost everywhere's rates are close to in budget, and as less busy days most pools should be at least tolerable. So figure out what vibe you'd like, what you value in a room, whether you have a players club preference, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  6. oldcrabtom

oldcrabtom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you are talking about the SouthPoint! More things to do there than you can imagine. You would have the option of driving to the strip to do your exploration.......:woohoo: