1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Long Drive + Direct Flight or Local With Layover?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by thecarve, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One bad thing about living in the sticks is that I'm not close to any airport that flies direct to Vegas. My options are A. My "local" airport (30 min drive) with a layover or B. Drive to CLT (2 hr 15 min) and get a direct flight. Nine times out of 10, the total travel time is about the same. So it usually comes down to whether I want to deal with that long drive after a booze-fueled, sleep deprived Vegas trip or deal with an extra airport and doubling my chances of a delay.

So, as I contemplate my next trip, I'm finding myself flip-flopping over which option to take this time. I'm sure that there are plenty of you guys who are in similar situations. So, give me a little help making up my mind. Which annoyance do you "prefer"? Do you always do one or the other? Or do you mix it up depending on schedule, price or your mood? Which would you choose if all other things are equal?

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    damn, both those options suck. a couple months ago I did my first layover in several years and it sucked big time. but I would still pick the layover over a 2+ hr drive home from the airport.

3. jpw711

jpw711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll drive 3 hours for a non stop, if I feel Allegiant is sticking it to me, or if they don't fly the days I want to go. I have been known to say to hell with it when I get back to the airport and hole up in a room for the evening though.

4. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. It does suck. Fortunately, the layovers are usually in ATL. So I never have a long one and if a flight gets delayed or cancelled there's usually another one in a hour. Plus my local airport is so small that I can arrive 20 minutes before my flight and still be at my gate with 15 minutes to spare.

5. motownbob

motownbob Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Non Stops

I say stick with the non stop flight deal. You're in control, and not at the mercy of some plane that may or may not make it to your gate on time. Not to mention the chance of your luggage getting lost. Just ease up on the last day, so your in good shape for the drive. Hell, add a day so you can designate the last day as a "chillin" day ! Bob

6. ButterflyMtn

ButterflyMtn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My question is "how hard do you Vegas on the last night?" Would you be ok making the long drive home or prefer a layover hungover? How long is the layover?

7. xmarksx

xmarksx VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live about two hours from Midway Airport, Chicago, with the only flights in my city connecting with layovers. We decided a few years ago it was better to drive to Chicago the night before and do a park-n-fly then book a very early flight with Southwest, nonstop. It somewhat extends our vacation and we pay less for parking.

8. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I generally like non-stops because there's less chance of something going wrong.

But if weather isn't likely to be an issue in causing a cancellation, I'd go with the one-stop, no way I want to drive for two hours at the end of a trip.

9. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going against the crowd and vote for the shorter drive. What if you're an hour into your drive to the airport and get a flat tire or other car trouble? Not much chance someone could help you in time to make that flight.

10. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have 4 airports to choose from all 1 hr 30 mins (give or take 15 mins) from our house. We haven't taken a connecting flight in over 10 years. Due to the stopping of nonstops from our favorite airport MHT...we are connecting this year. The husband is looking forward to it...I am dreading it. At least we picked flights with enough layover time to not be too concerned and the changeover airport is directly in the route from here to LAS (as the crow flies). We passed up the ns from BDL solely based on the flight times ( hubby didn't like those either).

I have a sneaky suspicion that after this trip we will be back to nonstops only no matter the times or cost. I like to take off/land once and not have to worry too much about my luggage. Combine that with smaller airports on my end so very little chance of delays taking off from here.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.