1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Locals or recent visitors.... how's Uber or Lyft ?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ohmom, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohmom

ohmom Tourist

We will be coming in a couple weeks, can anyone give me their opinion on Uber or Lyft rides in Vegas ?

2. jimboguy

jimboguy Blubbery Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used Lyft twice at the end of September. It was shortly after Lyft gained approval to operate in the city of LV. My first trip was a Saturday afternoon from Gold Coast to Smith Center. The driver picked me up less than a minute after I requested the ride since he was actually parked in the Gold Coast parking ramp waiting for a fare. Nice guy and the cost was about $9 less than cab fare (I've taken a cab that route on previous trips).

Second trip was from Main Street Station to Gold Coast at about 2am. Again a fine ride and also less than a cab.
    I use both Uber and Lyft on occasion in my home town and I will not hesitate to use either in Vegas on my next trip. It helps that I got $5 off my first 10 Lyft rides as a new sign up promotion.

3. mescalita

mescalita High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We always rent a car in Vegas, but I've had really good experiences with Uber in Austin. My son drives for both Uber and Lyft - if you haven't signed up with Uber yet send me a PM or email and I'll give you a code for a free $20 ride anywhere they operate.

4. pleepleus

pleepleus 2016 - The monkey is back

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've used Uber twice in Las Vegas so far Both times, the cars were clean and the drivers were cool.

One of the glitches though is some drivers still don't know where they are supposed to pick up passengers from certain hotels.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  5. YoungGun

YoungGun VIP Whale

I have not used either service yet in Las Vegas, but based on experiences in other cities and from having friends that drive for both this is my take: most of the drivers that have driven for both like Uber better for various reasons. Uber promotes itself as more professional while Lyft tries to be quirky and fun. From a passenger perspective, I like that Uber drivers are not supposed to begin a ride until you are in the car. Lyft drivers can start when they are in the area where you requested a pick up. I have had experiences where a Lyft driver started the ride (and hence started charging me) when they were in the wrong place and I was running around trying to find them. The good thing about both services is that since they track your location using your phone, they can see if you were overcharged by a driver starting a ride early or because you were taken on a longer route. One time I did ask for a fare review because a driver went to the wrong place and started the ride before he came to the correct pick up location. Lyft ended up refunding the difference. I do like Lyft's app better. Uber got in trouble for taking a commission on driver tips so they responded by deactivating the option to add a tip. Uber drivers can only take cash tips. On Lyft you can still tip using your phone. Tip is supposed to be included in the fare so most drivers do not expect it unless they go out of their way to help you out. For example, if you keep an Uber driver waiting in your driveway while you get ready (remember, unlike Lyft drivers, Uber drivers cannot start until you're in the car) it is customary to tip (my driver friends tell me that some customers will just give them the OK to start the ride while they wait).

6. ohmom

ohmom Tourist

PM sent thank you!

7. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good to know it's working well so far. I use Uber on occasion here and in Philly and it's all been mostly good.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dumb question and since I don't have a smartphone, I'll ask. Younggun posted about overcharging. I was under the impression the cars used were the driver's personal cars. They have meters installed?

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  9. vegasbound

vegasbound Moderator

The cars are personal vehicles. The "meter" is run on the app that the driver/passenger use to connect with each other. I've rode Lyft and Uber, I haven't had an instance when the driver started the ride early. Most often once I'm in the vehicle they confirm the destination and then the trip is started. Uber has refunded a fare when the driver clearly had no clue how to best reach the destination. Their customer service has been fantastic. I've not had to report any issues with Lyft.

My husband has been driving for Uber. It's been going well. Riders seem pleased that ride sharing is here. It is the limo drivers that have been rude and unwelcoming, not much stink from taxis, at least in his encounters. The hardest part is connecting with passengers. He will go to the designated area and they are at another entrance. Some properties are more easily accessible than others too. He likes Mandalay Bay, but MGM is a cluster. At first, weekends were constantly surging, but now it seems there are more drivers than ride requests. He seems to do better off peak times. Once word spreads that ride sharing is here, I think there will be more riders, I still feel that ride sharing, taxis and limos can co-exist. Competition should only enhance the experience of getting to and fro.

10. amanty

amanty Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also have a $20 promo code for anyone interested. (Truthfully anyone with an Uber account does.) PM me for details.

On a side note you can get a fare quote using the app. I have tried it a few random times this week with varying pickup and drop off locations with no surge pricing. I have yet to try but look forward to seeing what a weekend fare quote looks like. If I remember I will post up some screen shots.

11. amanty

amanty Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The app does a great job of recognizing the strip and then offers you guidance on where to be picked up. image.jpg

12. flychild7

flychild7 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just got back from Vegas and used Uber XL to get back to the airport after disastous cab rides. I was very very happy with my ride and when I return in Jan, I will only be using uber.

13. ohmom

ohmom Tourist

Our Lyft driver just told us yesterday that Lyft is approved for the airport now, however only one pickup location he said drop off smoother

14. ohmom

ohmom Tourist

We took Lyft from the D to airport it was $31.31 with tip

Much better than the hose job we got going downtown from taxi which was $65 and through the tunnel :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.