1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Local Cardroom/Charity Poker Rooms

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by Falcon_Rob, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falcon_Rob

Falcon_Rob Flying Winnebago

Jun 29, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was able to find one thread about this subject but it was over 2 years old, so I thought I'd throw it out there again.

I just moved back to Ohio (Toledo area) after living in Vegas for 5 years and was looking for places to get my daily NL tournament fix. Someone in a different thread suggested I try out local card rooms as opposed to driving all the way to Detroit.

I tried researching local card rooms but found a TON of very old information (usually at least a year, sometimes two years old). However, I did find a place pretty close to my house right across the Michigan border that is a charity poker room called Dollar King in Temperance, MI. I stopped by without playing to ask a few questions and found that they routinely spread 1/2 NL ($40-$300 buy-in) but the rake is ridiculously high!! I guess I realize the charity needs to make money, but the rake was $1 for every $8 in the pot with a $6 maximum!!! So win a $48 pot but lose $6 plus tip....ouch.

On the other hand, the daily tournaments seem more reasonable. It appears they put 80% of the buy-in into the prize pool. The buy-ins are normally between $25 and $50 and I saw the list she had for that nights tournament which had at least 40 people on it. I don't know what the structures or starting chips are, but for $30 I could definitely try it out.

Does anyone here have experience playing in these rooms?? I guess my biggest concern is who the heck regulates them (if anyone). With a $300 max buy-in, you could have some really big pot situations in the cash game. What if something crazy happens that would normally be a call to gaming control? I'm assuming there are no cameras in these rooms. What about poker rules and etiquette? Things like string bets, the oversized one-chip rule, commit lines, etc.....can I expect Vegas type rules or are they really relaxed? How good are the dealers?

Any stories, tips or information would be appreciated concerning these rooms.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.