1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Live Vs Semi-Live Vs Non-Live Reports

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Snowbelle3, Jul 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sco5123

sco5123 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's your preference? What are the benefits of them for the author and/or the audience?

Note: Thought I clicked Vegas Polls.

2. bighead1970

bighead1970 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vs started but never finished trip reports.

3. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From experience, it's "I'm in Vegas, I'm going to do a live trip report..."

Beer, Beer, shot, shot, beer, pass out.

"What was I going to do again?"

4. JillyFromPhilly

JillyFromPhilly Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Doing a live/semi-live trip report would require me to access the internet while in Vegas - and once I was on the internet, before long I'd be checking my work e-mail, and thus ruining my vacation. I don't even bring my phone when I go to Vegas because I don't want to be bothered by work while I'm there. And even if I could somehow manage to avoid checking up on my business while doing a live trip report, I couldn't see wasting one minute of my vacation writing up a trip report instead of enjoying my trip. So you'll never, ever see a live trip report from me for those reasons.

That being said, I enjoy other people's live trip reports.

5. BeeeJay

BeeeJay President of The Red Lobster Hostess Satisfaction

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the extra detail in after-the-trip reports like Jilly's and I also like the up-to-the-minute twitter-like live posts.

The thing I most like in trip reports is large, quality pictures. I like pics of Food 3rd best, Gambling wins 2nd best, and hot chicks in bikinis 1st best.

I took a couple trips off from doing trip reports and did like Jilly, no or minimal phone. One trip I actually turned off phone/computer for a week. That was pretty relaxing.

Part of that was I was getting annoyed with slow crappy phone. Now that everything is 4G LTE and auto-upload, I like doing the reports live as it requires less effort. I think the distraction helps slow down my gambling. Also we end up with quite a few very funny videos which are not of a "presentable" quality.

6. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I enjoy all the different types of trip reports.

I do prefer the non-live reports however. Only because that's how I prefer to write my reports. Old school style. Take notes. Try to write in a style that will stimulate the readers minds. Throw some humor in. Present your story in a provocative style, include interesting observations, etc. etc.

And the members of this board do not dissapoint. I've read some wonderful reports and laughed my ass off to many. Some are written in such vivid detail that I feel I was there with them. Makes me long for my next trip...

So even though I prefer the old style of TR's I enjoy all the other types too. Please keep them coming, all you great TR writers, and a big THANK YOU for taking the time to share your trip with all of us.:wave:

7. Tammy58

Tammy58 Frugal Slot Jockey

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't even bother reading any that have the word live in their title anymore. Too many started and never finished...or questions in the middle that drag them out 200 posts. I like to read a TR all at once.

8. Reed

Reed High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think they all have their place here and don't really have a preference. It is fun to read different formats.

9. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I don't have a preference for reading, but writing a live trip report was really fun and it encouraged me to go out and try new stuff while I was there!

10. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My preference is for the non-live reports.

Semi and live can be fun to check back on, but they don't set up the story the same way, and thus (for me) don't make you feel like you're there. Its basically just like subscribing to an active tweeter's feed and getting random pics/comments about their big wins/losses.

11. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My preference is generally for non-live reports, both as far as reading and writing them.

But some people can do one great and can't do the other at all...

Like I've read some live reports where the person is providing some good detail and they are interesting to read, but then when they get back and write the full trip report out its just one giant wall of text with run on sentences with no paragraphs or spacing - those I just have to skip over.

Likewise I've read some non-live reports where the person provides meticulous detail, and those I do like to read, but when they were going they were promoting that they were doing a live report which just turned out to be one comment about every 5-6 hours like "I am at Luxor now" and then four hours later its "At Bellagio, checking out the conservatory" stuff like that where its not really a report, more like a pushpin being moved around a map.

12. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do my best do update my Semi Live Reports and do the occasional drunken update to supplement my nightly updates from various Diamond Lounges. I prefer to do it this way and I would like to think my descriptive, no holds barred, honest details provide some smiles during the day for those who cannot be in Vegas.

I just don't think I would bother doing a full TR when I got home if I had to do it from the start. I also send Beejay and Mcker pics for them to put up which really adds to the TR's.

So my friends....jilted updates they shall be. I will say this...I am getting better at finishing the TR's a little quicker upon my return to the real world.

13. numeno

numeno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just like reports will all the little mundane details. The closer the report gets me to feeling like I was actually there the better. :) How and when the person decides to tell it is completely up to them.

[sarcasm]Now the people I get frustrated with are those that start off live, post a few great days, and then just leave me hanging. I mean, how dare they. They got me all excited and then went off and had a vegas vacation without me.[/sarcasm]

14. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like Royal Flusher... he writes up this great recap of the previous day, then instead of telling us about today, he is actually doing it. I mean, what gives? :beer:

USBC Nationals are back in Vegas
  15. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL mjames...

I have a lot of appreciation for those that keep it pretty live and can manage to write up enough detail that I can get some sort of a Vegas fix... Beeejay is pretty good at this, considering how hammered he is when some of those updates arrive. That's dedication.

If you hung out with me you'd think I was crazy, or a cop, I'm always writing shit down in a little notebook. Man its dweebish. But how else am I going to remember what some hot waitress said, denigrating my manhood? (Just an example, never happened at Magnolias.)

16. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would like to do a Live trip report, but don't want to pack the laptop.
    Attempting to type a trip report via the phone would be more of a nuisance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.