1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Limited walking and sitting

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by flamingogal, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flamingogal

flamingogal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One my last 4 visits to Vegas i have been able to walk anywhere as long as I took time to rest. I have herniated discs and an unstabel SI which make walking long distances or standing more than a few minutes causing pain. I also have a chronic tailbone pain which limits my sitting from 20-45 minutes at a time, after which i need to walk for 10-15 minutes. I have a special cushion I use to sit on. DH wants me to rent a w/c or scooter.For those who have rented either what is the difference in comfort and ease of use. I am leaning toward the scooter because the way seats are like a sling on w/c with much use causes me pain. How comfortable is the seating on a scooter vs electric w/c? It has been 4 years since I dealt with different models and seating in my job.
    DH has offered to drive the scooter or push the chair when I need to walk.

Any opinions? I have searched and read older posts but there is not a lot recent.

2. OntheStrip

OntheStrip Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are staying in one place and not roaming around a lot they might not be worth the effort. Crowded elevators, walkways, lookyloos, ect are all a pain with a bulky w/c or scooter if you can do without.

If you plan to sight-see and roam a lot the scooter is probably the best option. Though a W/C might get a bit more sympathy for pedestrians getting out of your way. If using a w/c then get a thick seat pad (my mom has one that is about 2 inches thick that works well). You can use it with large hard chairs as well.

If your hubby is willing to push it, buying a standard w/c or transfer chair is likely cheaper than renting. My mom has a one that was 1/2 the price of a rental. It's not great but it folds up for storage and works for the occasional outing. No need for any special transport rack/ramp and works for a plane as well.

3. flamingogal

flamingogal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the response. We were considering buying a transport chair as i could use it other places in the future as needed. i already have a couple cushions I use at home and in the car.

4. BlackJackLady

BlackJackLady Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most hotels will let us use a wheelchair for free, scooters will run about 35-40 per day. Also, wheel chairs are easier to get in and out of cabs and shuttles should you choose to use those. I myself prefer my scooter as it allows me more freedom.

5. sandi527

sandi527 Tourist

I always use a scooter in Las Vegas. It is so easy to get around. People, restaurants, taxi drivers, bus drivers, bellmen, are all so very accommodating. Elevators are easy in and out. A scooter allows me to travel all over Vegas. You can get on light enough to break down and lift into the trunk of a car. Bus and van taxis are equipped to handle scooter and the drivers know what they are doing. The only disadvantage I have found is that my battery died once a long way from the hotel I was staying at. Generally you can get a charge at any bell desk in any hotel. Or, you can call the company and they will come and bring a charger or swap out the scooter. I always carry the charger with me now. It's the best money I ever spend in Vegas!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.