1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Layover too close?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by IWannaBeInVegas, Oct 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For those that have flown into lax, do you think my 37 minute layover is cutting it to close to catch a connection? Flying delta, going to terminal 5

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If Delta is the carrier for both flights, and THEY allowed the booking, you will be okay. They really, really do not like to have people miss connections. Too much work for them to get you on another flight. We have two flights via LAX coming up and have a 44 minute connection. I happened to check the current days flight info a few times and see it normally gets in early anyways. If we are early enough, we will hit the Delta Lounge.

Meanwhile, keep yourself alert and get your butt to the gate. And, as always, check the screens. Gates do change.

Airport Map

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  3. Huddler

Huddler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would be more worried that any checked bags would not make the connection.

4. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep in mind that flights early in the day tend to have the fewest delays.

5. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The issue with short layovers isn't so much not having enough time but not having room when the first flight is late. That's when you miss your connection.

6. captainron62

captainron62 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

That is exactly what I was going to say. We had a 55 minute layover going to Jamiaca last month. Out of 4 of us, I was the only one to get my baggage. I have been on SWA flights where they announced take off would be delayed as we were waiting on connections passengers and they wont leave their own bookings, I dont know about Delta though.

7. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to try to take carry on only. The flights were booked through Expedia but I also checked the flights on delta and it was the same itinerary.

Won't lie, I was nervous booking through Expedia, I had issues with hotel in Vegas once on there but as soon as I booked it and had no email conformation other than the alert from my bank telling me of the charge, I called delta, not only did she confirm it but assigned my seats for me

8. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep an eye on the itinerary since there might be a schedule change. If the schedule change is significant you might be able to reroute yourself with a longer layover, free of charge.

Personally, I'd be worried about this connection, especially if I'm in the back.

9. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always think the sweet spot for a layover is 1 hour 15 minutes....gate and baggage.

I've on;y had one occasion where my bags had to get delivered.

10. jackincols

jackincols Guest

This happens to me all the time with Delta. My upcoming trip Oct 22nd has been changed (by Delta) no less than 3 times since I booked it. The last change simply didn't give me enough time to make connections in Atlanta. I have COPD and can't do "O.J. Simpsons" through the airports anymore. Anyhow, I called and told them my situation. They put me on another flight out of Atlanta that gave me an hour between flights. No charge because they were the ones that made the initial change(s).

11. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a 1 hour 11 minute layover in Atlanta a few years ago. That one had my arsehole puckered up like a snare drum until I made it cross-concourse and to gate 3.5 million.

Does any airport really need to be that large?

12. Kickin

Kickin Flea

Ha! Look who's talking. You're from the UK. Heathrow is the biggest bitch to connect through. It's like a friggin workout.

13. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Airline and Hotel bookings via expedia are way different. Since you checked Delta, and the flights are the same, you are okay. Tight, but okay.

14. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:

Yes, ATL is big. Has been the busiest airport in the WORLD for a number of years. They have tried to open a 2nd area airport, but it just is not going to happen.

Yet, for all of this, it seems to work pretty good. And, even with the size, it is fairly logically in the layout, and easy to work with. The recently opened Intl terminal is another story that opened maybe a year or so ago. Even with maybe 500 trips through that airport, I have not been there yet, but read some not so great comments.

15. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is true. I try and stick to Gatwick wherever possible.

I reckon ATL is bigger, but Heathrow is more congested and painful to experience. I had mentally blocked it out.

16. mdlee3_46041

mdlee3_46041 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are a couple potential problems here people haven't mentioned yet.

One, if your flight arrives too early, you could get into a situation where another plane is in your gate so even if you're early, it works out the same as you being late or at the very least right on time.

Also, unless you're at the very front of the plane, you're at the mercy of everybody getting off before you. You could mention that you have a tight connection to one of the flight attendants and they should try to arrange it so you can get off faster.

It's been my experience that Delta won't hold a flight for connecting passengers if it's just a couple people, but they will if it's say 10-15 or more. Somebody else may have a different experience with that though.

17. IWannaBeInVegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lots of good reading. I am going to keep an eye on the flights, see what the average arrival/departures are. Im sitting about the middle of the plane, row 17 to be exact of a 737-800

18. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    man, I don't know what you're talking about, I love ATL. yes, it's large, but so easy to get from concourse to concourse using the train and the walk to any one gate is never that long.

19. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shifter. I would agree in that I think Atlanta is easy to get around in. Laid out well. Shuttle train great, even that rare time it is down.

But, then again, if you are running late, land at A-31 and need to get to C-31.... you have got some walking/running ahead of you.

One of my regular connections used to get in late at a far A gate and I had to be at D. That last escalator is not made for running with a roll aboard! Of course, after a half dozen drinks on the plane, I was my own worse enemy.

20. wigwam_salesman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was the time I was talking about. A transatlantic flight into terminal A to get to terminal D in just over an hour is a buttock tightener, especially when you have to factor in watching to make sure your bags get transferred (as they advised us to do).

The airport itself is very well structured, just not designed for people coming from the UK that need to transfer to an internal flight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.