1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Last Vegas Trip: One Big One… or Three Small Ones?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by thecarve, Oct 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve been thinking about a career change for years. And it looks like it is about to happen. So, over the next few years la casa del carve is going to have very little money coming in and a whole lotta big checks to institutions of higher learnin’ going out. Needless to say, spending money on Vegas trips during this period of (hopefully) temporary poverty probably isn’t the most prudent thing a guy could do. So I have decided that the money I have earmarked for my trip next week will be the last money I dedicate to Vegas until my period of un/underemployment is over.

The original plan for my trip next week was to do Vegas just as I normally do. Then, if there is enough money left over when I return (win, break even or small loss) I will put that money aside for a future Vegas trip. I will repeat this and continue taking regular (if less frequent) Vegas trips as I normally do as long as there’s enough money to do so without having to add new funds.

But then I got to thinking and figured that I could probably squeeze three guaranteed trips out of what money I have already mentally dedicated to next week’s trip. It would require me to reduce the length of the two future trips and cut my bankroll for all three dramatically. But other than that, I probably wouldn’t have to make too many important compromises. The bankroll should still be enough to play at 3:2 BJ tables and thanks to Tringlomane’s great list, I’ll be able to find low denomination VP with reasonable paytables. I’ll likely have to spend much less time at my beloved Wynncore and more time downtown. But it is certainly a doable proposition.

So, what would VMB do faced with the same situation? Would you do one last trip living it up and hope to come home with enough to fund future trips? Or would you sacrifice a little excitement to ensure that when you come you’ll have more trips to look forward to that won’t be five years down the road?

2. pokerbucketlist

pokerbucketlist Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    easy- multiple trips, gamble less, walk around and be a tourist more. See the fountains more, volcano, play spot the hooker etc...

3. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    more trips, lower BR
    I go to get away, not win big

4. Tank45

Tank45 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd go big and hope for a huge win fall for future trips! Of course I'd lose it all. If it was me, I would want to make a cold turkey break from my previous life (financially) and have the end goal of returning to prosperity and a return Vegas trip as a reward for getting through studies and a new career.

5. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For us we would choose to take more trips. I'd go nuts knowing I couldn't get back to Vegas for an extended period of time. We're low-rollers, so no chance of a big hit to help finance future trips. Love the anticipation of having a planned trip even if it's several months away. Best wishes with your decision.

Christmas comes early
  6. safe51334

safe51334 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would do multiple trips with a smaller BR each trip, If you are doing a lot of studying for your new adventure in life, you will probably enjoy the extra little trips more as you will need the time off.

7. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For us airfare is the biggest expense. I can raise or lower the budget for fun, food, booze, hotel, etc. But, airfare I don't have nearly as much control over. It's also too long a travel day to be messing around with a 2 or 3 night trip. I know a lot of people have a longer way to go and they don't care. But, that's my feeling on it. Anyhow, those factors eliminate the idea of shorter trips from my mind.

8. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me it would be fewer trips. But my reasoning is based on the cost of airline tickets ($425RT for each of us). If I could get there cheaper I would probably go the 3 route.
    Was is your cost for transportation to/from Vegas?

Christmas Trip. Sam's Town & MSS
  9. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I say I was going to go easy and try for 3 smaller trips, then once I got there... go stupid, gamble too much, pull money out of my college fund trying to chase loses, lose that and return home with my dreams shattered and be forced to beg my boss for my old job back.

10. SW

SW Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd have a hard time cutting my bankroll dramatically as you stated, so my vote is for one trip doing Vegas as you normally do.

11. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If this is a five year endeavor like the last sentence may imply (not sure if that it is), I think I'm definitely taking the 3 trip option. I have gotten way too used to going at least once a year now... :grrr:

12. thestugot

thestugot Low-Roller

I find it difficult to revert to lower bets. I was a $10 per hand BJ player years ago. Now I play $25-$100 per hand. And I actually play less BJ and more craps, which seems to demand a higher BR - must be my way of playing. I don't think I'd play at the $10 level on multiple trips. I'd rather take one trip at my current level. I guess it's an adrenaline thing. $10 per hand not as exciting as $25 per hand... I guess. IMHO.

13. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Preachin' to the choir, brother! I'm a degenerate. I know I would find it hard to get excited winning/losing 1/3 of my normal amount.

Of course the thought of not having a Vegas trip in the not too distant future isn't a pleasant one. :cry:

As I've given this more thought, I think a third option might be worth considering - two trips. I could budget 2/3 the BR for my trip next week and a 1/3 for a future trip in a year or so. Having 2/3 of a normal budget wouldn't be quite as big of a change and could be accomplished by a combination of playing fewer hours and at slightly lower limits. So my wins would still be exciting and my losses would still sting a bit.

For my future trip, I don't think the lower bankroll would be as big of a deal. I would have spent a year (or however long) living more frugally and watching my bank account get smaller each month. I think I would probably end up getting the same thrill betting 1/3X then as I do X now.

Thanks for all the opinions, gang. I'm enjoying seeing how others would approach this. :beer:

14. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is this 3 trips in 3 months, 6 months or a year or two?
    What expenses do you have?

For example, our biggest expenses are the dog kennel and airline tickets.
    Room and food are essentially free in Vegas.
    This if course doesn't count gambling expense.

So, 3 trips could be expensive simply due to the kennel and airline tickets.
    As a result, I would opt for less trips and a bigger bankroll.

In other posts where people asked about going to Vegas with a very limited bankroll and I always respond that I would rather cancel a trip and save up the bankroll.

Since my Vegas trips are basically all gambling, others who do a lot of other stuff may think otherwise.

15. VegasChic-

VegasChic- VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not to overthink this....but I will, lol.....here's what I'd do~

I'd set the $$ in a separate bank account and make a game out of how many trips I could create with it. I'd pay more attention to betting strategies....start with a mid-range bet (so it's not boring) but raise it when winning, lower once dropped to a certain predetermined level (That at least would give me play time/value). I'd pay attention to my loyalty programs, meaning I would try and dedicate all my play to the one property that will likely let you stretch the budget the furthest...... good free play and possibility of discretionary comps. The great thing about a Vegas trip is it always has the possibility to come home with more than you left with, break even, or even let you play a lot with a small loss. I think your idea of splitting the budget with two trips is a good one......and with some luck maybe it could stretch to more~

Good luck!!

16. 34cents

34cents Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would do multiple, if you already do more than one a year it's not going to be easy cutting back.

17. Iamrice

Iamrice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Three. It sounds like your fine with playing downtown so you could do that until you are out of school.

You get everything, Vegas, School and you don't go bankrupt!

And down the line when your finances improve I am certain you will be welcomed back at the wynn.

18. sabinomarine

sabinomarine Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If transportation costs are low and you have comps at multiple properties/companies the three smaller trips make sense IMO.

19. firstkill

firstkill High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1 big trip.

if you win, you will get another trip
    if you break even, you can get another trip
    if you lose, then get busy with the "new" life and let it refill (also hopefully the bad taste of losing will keep you away!)

20. BC_ girl

BC_ girl Low-Roller

I would always take more smaller trips than one big trip. I like to to have something to look forward to so one big trip and then nothing for ages would be sad for me! But I am not a huge gambler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.