1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Last minute driving trip

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by keno, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keno

keno obsessed with countdown timers

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

This won't be very long, as I've already forgotten quite a bit. Not that it wasn't fun, it was that it was lots of fun.

We drove down to Vegas for the first time in a couple of years. The flights were super expensive for our last minute trip (made the decision about 1 1/2 weeks before going) so we made the 8 hour drive. Driving quickly, it was about 7 1/2 hours. Out in the desert, one of California's finest pulled up next to me, gave me a little thumbs down and showed me how fast I should be going, before speeding off. I couldn't believe my luck!

We had comp'd rooms at NYNY and checked in without problem. First night, we gambled some, finished up a bit then headed to Nine Fine Irishmen to see the new violinst with Ri Ra (read previous posts if you need to know more about this). The new girl adds a much different energy to the band, but it took me a while to get used to her as I missed Alana up there playing. The new girl isn't as talented as Alana, but she is a great performer and a good addition to the band. After seeing her a couple of days, we both really enjoyed her.

After two nights at NYNY, we moved over to Flamingo for another comp'd night. Driving into Flamingo was a bit confusing at first, but easy once I read some signs. We gave our bags to the bellman and went to check in. The line at the check-in desk was very long. And, you have to walk a long way through shops and other things to get to the check in desk. it was a bit strange. The line took us about 50 minutes to get through and just about turned us off to the Flamingo. We got a room on the 4th floor looking towards the pool, which was a better view than the strip in my opinion. Tons of palm trees and gardens to look at in a fairly large room. We liked it quite a bit. This reminds me, we had a room at NYNY that had two walls of windows, had a great view out to the strip and a great view to the south.

We went to the Go pool at Flamingo, but when we went there, the pool was closed because of some lightning. The pool was small but very nice, with some music playing. We had great drink service and enjoyed the Go pool better than the main pool.

That night we met up with our friend who used to be in the band at NYNY for some drinks and appetizers at Margaritaville. It was great meeting up with her and catching up for a couple of hours. After that, we decided we were up for one more late night at Nine Fine Irishmen and were quite glad we went. We met tons of folks from Ireland on Sunday and Monday nights, and when there are lots of Irish in the house, it's even more fun in there.

Tuesday morning, it was time to drive back home. The drive home is much worse than the drive out, especially when it takes 8 hours! But, I'd drive again in an heartbeat if the prices are that high again. THe only problem is my vacation has to be extended by 2 days to drive, but with comp rooms, it can make for a very cheap trip.

That's it. Not much info, but still a great trip. :)

2. VegasDiva

VegasDiva VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad you enjoyed yourselves , met up with old friends and met new ones too nice to be able to drive !

seems your Flamingo stay was more enjoyable , room wise, our first room was filthy
    I agree with the long check in lines, was constant the 2 nights we stayed there earlier this month

3. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unless things have changed, if you happen to be a Platinum member, you can do Diamond check-in at Flamingo. It was the only thing that saved me last trip from the horrible lines. However, I had encountered the same line issues at both MGM and Sahara before. Seems to happen at a lot of the hotels, so I just expect it and am happy when I don't encounter it. And totally agree that the tropical view is better than the strip view. Love that oasis in the middle of the desert.

4. keno

keno obsessed with countdown timers

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was a diamond/platinum check in area, but I'm neither of those at HET properties. I always use invited guest check in at MGM-Mirage properties, so I'm a bit spoiled by that. When we checked in at NYNY, there was a huge line for the regular check-in, but I was able to cruise straight to the front with the invited guest check in.

5. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the post.

later, GVJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.