1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Las vegas night run - am i setting my sights too high?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by PokerrNutt, Jun 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PokerrNutt

PokerrNutt High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Las Vegas Rock 'n Roll Run is on November 16th this year.....and it's one of those things that's been on my bucket list for awhile. There is a full marathon, half marathon, and 1/2 of the half (6 miles) run. I want to go in the 1/2 of the half.

Let me explain and then - the question to all of you - is, do you think it's possible?

Last year (8/5), I had bariatric surgery - gastric sleeve, to be exact. I started at a whopping 325.6 lbs and have lost 133 lbs so far. I now weigh 193 lbs. My goal is to lose 150 lbs in all - 17 to go!! YH!! While I am much more active than I was a year ago, I haven't really used my gym membership the way I should.

So, I would have to really start working out - which would probably help me lose the last 17, as well as get trained for the 6 mile run in a little over three months.

Is it possible? Has anyone ever done it? What do you think???? Any tips on how to train for it?

2. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats on your progress so far. As for the training to run the 6 miles, you have more than enough time to prepare for that. In all honesty with the right amount of effort you'd probably be able to prepare for the half marathon. You have about 4.5 months and the human body is an amazing tool if you use it in the right way and feed it the right fuels. So my advice would be not only to hit the gym but start pounding the pavement a little at a time and you will be surprised how quickly you will be able to cover 6 miles with ease.

There is no such thing as setting your sights to high! "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss you'll land among the stars." Please keep us posted!

3. JennJenn

JennJenn Low-Roller

Congrats on the weight loss! I think you have an excellent chance to do this run. I have never run a race, and in October of 2012 I finished the full Detroit Marathon. Don't get me wrong, I did some walking, but in the end I ran across the finish line.

From a training perspective, google Hal Hingdon. He has a training program for full marathon's and 1/2 marathon's on his website under training I think. This is how I got ready for Detroit. 6 miles will go fast and don't be afraid to walk a bit. Who cares as long as you cross the finish line. One word of caution: drink plenty of water while training, and especially in Vegas. You've got this! Also, for the full marathon, it's an 18 week training program. I am starting week 3 next week because we are doing the Detroit full again this year!

Good Luck!

4. flyguyfl

flyguyfl Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ditto. You can do it easily with some discipline.

5. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep in mind, you don't have to run/job the entire 6. You can always walk.
    This means you don't have to worry too much about training.
    Focus on eating right.
    Also, people who train for these 1/2 marathons don't always run that distance when training so don't think you have to go out and run 6 miles each day.

Focus on eating right and exercise and if your doctors says its ok then go for it.:thumbsup:

6. spicole

spicole Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

PokerrNutt - congrats on the weight loss! I have a training program that takes you from zero to a 5k in 8 weeks. If you can get to 3.1 miles in 8 weeks, you should be able to get to 6 miles in the remainder. Send me a PM with your email address if you want it.

7. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas certified personal trainer/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've run several marathons (including Las Vegas) and a few half-marathons in the past 12 years.

First, you can walk it. If you want to train for running part or all 6 miles, you might check out the training plans on the www.runnersworld.com website.

If you choose to walk - please! - line up in the stalls at the very back of the pack. This is one of the ongoing problems with the Las Vegas RocknRoll (at least in the half- and full marathon) races - way too many walkers line up in the stalls in front of those who are going to RUN. This causes a mess when those who are running must get around walkers who should have started behind the runners.

With that said, you have more than enough time to train properly for that distance, or even to do the half.

Congratulations on your weight loss!

Happy Running!

8. miniwhale

miniwhale Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can totally do it!! Consider looking up Jeff Galloway. I have used his run/walk/run method for 6 half marathons. You run ratios, like run a minute walk a minute. It is very doable, and it makes it easy to reach little goals at a time (When I finish this minute, I get to walk a minute) There are also pager looking things you can clip on your shorts that beep or vibrate when it is time to run or walk. I see that many people who lose weight and keep it off, have found a passion for something that keeps them going and keeps the weight off; like running. Vegas is a fun vibe for a race and the 6 miler doesn't put you through all the side streets like the half and full. There are people of all ages and sizes in this race!!

9. miniwhale

miniwhale Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree about the walking part. Last year didn't seem as bad. Many people wouldn't even get over to the right to walk, or there were large groups of people walking together (think 4 or 5 people side by side). Maybe I am a little too considerate, I am the one looking behind me every time I walk-I totally respect those that are running!

10. vgslvr

vgslvr Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First of all, r ur knees/ankles/legs prones to injuries? Any arthritis issues?

If yes, stick to less impact exercises like swimming to lose weight..
    If no, Get the right shoes..make sure u train outside. If u train on a treadmill, then u r up for a rude awakening..Do weight training as well

6 miles is very doable..I do this on my running days

11. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just start slow.

Good job on the weight loss so far.

I at one pint weighed 325, lost 130 plus lbs with diet and exercise and have been a runner.

Some things to keep in mind is that running will tax your body and it will require nutrition.

Its not all about weight loss, its about fuel. imagine that you have a sports car and you adjust the thing so it just sips fuel. sure, you get good mpg but the guy next to you runs right past you every time because he is running rich and doesnt care about mpg.

thats what running will demand iof our system.

If you dont or cant give it fuel then it wil burn what it has and the first source will be what it deems hardest to maintain and that will be muscle.

So you will be working out, not eating, losing wight and by the math, increasing in bodyfat for all the effort.

So now you are caught in a bit of a stick bind.

You will have to eat enough to balance out the workouts. Its not much mind you, about 100 calores per mile run so you can do it but t is something that must be done.

I would recommend getting and staying at maintenance for a bit and then gradually adding in workouts and more food as space permits. then it will work best for you.

Work off of your calender, not someone elses.

best of luck

12. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just start slow.

Good job on the weight loss so far.

I at one pint weighed 325, lost 130 plus lbs with diet and exercise and have been a runner.

Some things to keep in mind is that running will tax your body and it will require nutrition.

Its not all about weight loss, its about fuel. imagine that you have a sports car and you adjust the thing so it just sips fuel. sure, you get good mpg but the guy next to you runs right past you every time because he is running rich and doesnt care about mpg.

thats what running will demand iof our system.

If you dont or cant give it fuel then it wil burn what it has and the first source will be what it deems hardest to maintain and that will be muscle.

So you will be working out, not eating, losing wight and by the math, increasing in bodyfat for all the effort.

So now you are caught in a bit of a stick bind.

You will have to eat enough to balance out the workouts. Its not much mind you, about 100 calores per mile run so you can do it but t is something that must be done.

I would recommend getting and staying at maintenance for a bit and then gradually adding in workouts and more food as space permits. then it will work best for you.

Work off of your calender, not someone elses.

best of luck

13. PokerrNutt

PokerrNutt High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow - thanks for all the responses and encouragement! You've all given me the confidence that I need to do it.

A couple questions - for those who have run in it in the past years - I know they start at Mandalay Bay, but where is the actual finish line? And the 1/2 of the half race - is that a straight shot down Las Vegas Blvd?

And when you get to the finish line, how do you get back to Mandalay Bay?

Do some people walk the entire race - or walk/run?

Do they give prizes for the 1st, 2nd, 3rd? (I'm not really aiming for that - crossing the finish line might be my prize)!

I'm going to check out those training programs you suggested. Thanks again for the help!

14. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't say for sure but these events have a percentage of people that are serious and trying to win but there are usually lots of people running with the goal of finishing. People just like you that aren't trying to win the race; but the goal of finishing and they will finish no matter how long it takes. People will stick around not to cheer on the fastest runners but to cheer on the most determined runners. Get out there and start training. Train hard and you'll surprise yourself. The body resists getting into shape but after 3 weeks you'll see a big change. Follow one of those couch to 5k type of programs. I know lots of people that have had success with them. Lots of people will walk/run. Don't think you need to be able to run 6 miles in an hour in order to enter the race. The winner will be faster than that but there will lots of people slower than that.

15. Mowsee

Mowsee Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can definitely do this. First step, speak to your doctor to make sure it's ok then go for it. I did the 1/2 marathon last year (my first ever) and only started training in August. Walked most of it at a pretty good pace and made it well under the course time limit. If you mix up walking and running you can easily do the 1/2 of the 1/2 under the 2 hour limit.

The course maps are on the website at: http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/las-vegas/the-race/

I'll see ya there! :)

16. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you focus on conditioning so you don't hurt yourself (ankle, knee, etc) and you want to do it, then do it. Do whatever that's good for your joints and gets your muscles in good shape. Get fitted for the best pair of shoes you can afford. Get the good runners or diabetic socks. The diabetics have been hogging the best socks for years and years. The biggest barrier to getting in shape when you've been out of shape is injury. That's the God's honest truth. Everything else will come if you do the right things to not hurt yourself. If you hurt yourself, it's a big set back both physically and emotionally.

I made a mess of my knee 2 years ago taking a leisurely bike ride through the park with my husband on a custom mountain bike. We came up to a little hill and instead of learning how to use the gears on the bike, I did like when I was a kid and stood up to power up the hill. I heard a noise and that was it for my knee. I had a bunch of therapy on it and it's in better shape now. But, it was a big setback.

17. CIrvine

CIrvine Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes you can do it! See if there is a local running group that you can train with or if there is a 5k in the next few weeks you could enter.

18. Dancemom

Dancemom Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    First of all, congratulations on the weight loss! I have also lost 130 lbs (putting me 150 lbs less than my heaviest ever) so I know the work it takes. Although I didn't have surgery, I started with learning to love exercise and making it a habit for 7 months before adding a moderate eating program. I started with aquafit because that's all I could do at that weight and have worked my way up to regular Zumba classes (my absolute favorite...total joy in every class and an amazing workout) and I've also done 3 5K's and a 10K (running about 50% of them but working my way up). For the running training, I started with a couch to 5K program that worked amazingly well. When I started, running for a full minute was excruciatingly painful but now I can run for close to 8 minutes at a time. Whatever you do, make sure you are enjoying it or at least enjoying the challenge of it. For me, running isn't "fun" but I love doing something now at 44 years old that I have never been able to do, even when I was a teenager (right now, I weigh what I last weighed at 14 years old, but I am in better shape than I was then). Once again, congratulations!

19. JennJenn

JennJenn Low-Roller

I didn't realize this event is November 16th! We are now talking about going to vegas for our anniversary, and will be in town on this date. As long as we are not injured running the Detroit Marathon in October, and are able to find a babysitter, we are going to do the 1/2 marathon on the 16th! You can do this!

20. slimmy28

slimmy28 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great thread!

People are giving some great advice and I don't have much to add. I've run 4 half marathons and several shorter runs as well. With each one, I've learned something new about myself and my body. I think it was Cousin Eddie above who really spoke to the importance of nutrition and hydration. I think the weeks and months leading up the race are just as important for the hydration/nutrition as it is for the miles. There are some great tools on the web to find training programs and nutrition plans that you could use. I won't pretend to tell you what might be best for your nutrition as that's going to be more specific to you, but for training programs, take a look at www.halhigdon.com. You could probably find something that works with your ability level and also your every day schedule. Best of luck and have a great time. Remember, there is not going to be someone from Nike, Adidas, etc. waiting at the finish line to give you an endorsement check should you finish in a specific time. Your first races (in my opinion) should be about completing the race, doing it safely, and most importantly HAVING FUN!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.