1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

LAS->SFO....Best Airline options and SFO->LAS rental car?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Jordan, May 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to head to San Francisco for business at the end of June. I'd like to fly return from Halifax to Vegas , why, cause I fully qualify as a degenerate (see Packers thread: http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?120229-Degenerate-players!&highlight=degen)

I have to be in San Fran for Thursday, June 25th and would like to be there for the morning (noon would be fine).
    1. What would be the best airline option to get to San Fran on that Thursday (reliability/price etc).?

My wife is meeting me in San Fran and we are going to spend some additional time in the San Fran area (Jordan winery tour, Alcatraz, bike GG Bridge and other things are on our short list). After San Fran we are heading back to Vegas (again see Packers thread) and thinking about renting a car and taking the PCH from San Fran down to either Hermosa beach or Santa Monica and then shooting across to Vegas for the July 4th weekend.

2. What would be the most reasonably priced rental car company for a pickup in San Fran and a drop off in Vegas (preferably a convertible)?

Thanks you your help!

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Might be better in the GETTING THERE forum.

As to who is best? To me, it is the the one with the best price - not counting super cheapo like Spirit). Keep in mind that the big search/online outfits will not show Southwest.com - you have to go direct to their site.

Rental - one way rentals can get expensive. You will easily pay double for a convertible. I would also go to maps.google.com to see how many miles and hours you will be driving.

3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can get a car at LAS and return it to SFO for $130 + taxes from Dollar. 1 week rental
    A Corolla. Their website estimates full charge with fees at $200.

Over $1,000 to do same car SFO to LAS.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
    Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Some thoughts on this from someone who lives less than a mile from PCH/El Camino Real/Hwy 1 along the central coast:

You plan to overnight on this drive at least one night, no? If you truly take Hwy 1 the whole way, and particularly the Big Sur stretch between Carmel and getting back on the 101 in SLO, you're putting in time that belies the mileage. As for getting to Vegas from the south coast, Ventura provides the first conduit, heading up through Fillmore to Santa Clarita, then up to Palmdale and across to Victorville, where you catch the 15. From Hermosa you're getting across the LA Basin to the 15 in Devore. Figure 5 hours to Vegas from Ventura; 4.5 from Hermosa w/o traffic. (Go with 1.5 to 3 hours from Ventura to Hermosa depending on route and traffic.)

And from the City or even heading a ways down the 101 you have alt ways to get to Vegas, offering different experiences, including the Sierra Nevada.)

5. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    - Totally forgot about the "Getting there and around", can a MOD plz move?

Thanks for the SW tip, perhaps I will try their site directly as you suggested! I know the cost of the drop off is foolish, but we really want to finish the top portion of the PCH, it's on our todo list!

6. Jordan

Jordan Caveman

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Ken,

We are definitely overnighting on the trek south from San Fran and we are in no rush and intend on taking the #1 the entire way. Recommendation on a nice hotel right on the #1 about 1/2 way (6 hrs or so) down (Something with amazing ocean views)?

Also we have done the Hermosa->LAS several times, and have made it each time in about 4.5-5 hours (not including the stop at PRIMM mall so the wife can shop ;)

I'm actually thinking of SFO>LAX for the rental car and then fly from LAX>LAS to avoid a ridicules out of state drop charge on the convertible!

7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

The king, queen, regent, crown prince, tsar and archbishop up that way is Post Ranch Inn. Rooms are often impossible to come by and it pays to have hit nicely in Vegas before checking in: http://www.postranchinn.com (Not six hours into the jaunt, unless you literally take 1 all the way down from the city and kill some time in Santa Cruz/Monterey/Carmel along the way.)

Plenty of options in Cambria but you might want to consider clifftop in Pismo Beach -- Best Western, Inn at the Cove (former Best Western), the Cliffs, Dolphin Bay -- or maybe up around the horn at the Inn at Avila Beach.

And as a wine fan, let me know if you want some suggestions for a detour through one of our several AVAs here in north SB County.

8. Krh2o

Krh2o MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in the bay area. The best way to fly to and from Vegas is Southwest into Oakland. It is a short drive from OAK to downtown SF. Many times often quicker then SF Airport. Just be advised if you will need to cross the Bay Bridge, but it is a cool view and nice new bridge. Only issue would be if you are arriving during rush hour it will be bad, but if you got in at like 10am you should be fine.

As far as renting the car, it will be expensive. They charge a lot for one way rentals. I rented a standard car once to drive to vegas and leave the car, cost me $150 for just one day.

For Hotel, check out the Madonna Inn. Even if you don't stay there you should stop there to use the restroom.

9. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Airline - Either Southwest or Virgin America

Car Rental - I was in LA once and decided to drive to Las Vegas. I gave the rental car company a heads up.
    I was told I needed to return that rental car and get another one. It has to do with California's Smog/Pollution laws.

10. eksantirik

eksantirik Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did both during my April trip.

LAS - SFO flight: I bought the ticket on Expedia. Jetblue 7 AM flight, non-stop service, $38, including one checked bag. Was a great deal!
    SFO-LAS rental: I rented a full-size car for a week, picked up at SFO, dropped off in LAS. Total rate with full insurance, taxes and fees was $250. Rented from Alamo, via Rentalcars.com. Great service from both companies. I didn't pay one-way fee but, they charge one-way drop off fee for convertibles and maybe even SUVs. With most companies, economy-full size cars are exempt from this fee between CA and NV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.