1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Labor day weekend car rental

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by mwig, Aug 29, 2016.

1. mwig

mwig High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just able to get a rental rate of $12/day through the Priceline name your own price. I'll be there for four days and this saves me $50 over my previous booking. It's been a couple of years since this bidding process beat the deal I was able to find elsewhere but $12 per is like going back in time several years.

2. NandJfrmNJ

NandJfrmNJ High-Roller

What rental company?

3. DrLect

DrLect Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would that be for an economy car?

New Year's Eve Dinner
  4. mwig

mwig High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is for an economy and it was Avis that picked up the bid. I'm alone with only a carryon so point A to point B is all I need. They claim Kia Rio which is great if true. Anything but a Chevy Volt.

5. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a good deal. We rented through Avis (my first time with Avis) a couple of weeks ago. Got to the counter about 9:00 p.m. No line, 4 clerks. Sweet. ALL of them were sitting there on their phones, no one acknowledged me. A couple of them looked up at saw us but I guess they were too "busy" and were waiting for someone else to help us. Finally some crabby old guy "helped" us. No matter how many times I declined an upgrade he kept going on and on and on about how a bigger car had "better air conditioning" and I was a fool for not getting a bigger car. Then came the insurance. He did the usual "Do you want the deluxe full coverage or the standard coverage?". When I declined as I always do he went on and on about how foolish I was, about how I "obviously had never driven in Vegas before" (I've rented cars many times in Vegas), etc... To put it bluntly, he was an asshole. Crappy employees are everywhere and maybe next time I would rent from Avis it would be fine. But there won't be a next time for me. :)

6. Katrina0001

Katrina0001 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a great deal. Any additional fees on top of that?

7. mwig

mwig High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The total all taxes, fees etc. is $99 for 4 days. Yep, that's right. Taxes are higher than the rental cost. Oh well, I'm staying a little off strip but in town for a poker tournament at Planet Hollywood. This is still the cheapest option. I could Uber to the hotel and then back and forth each way. Ultimately, that would cost more and I would sacrifice mobility.

Vegasvic, I agree 100% with not liking Avis. They actually hassle you less if you are prepaid through priceline. They understand upfront just how cheap(frugal) you are. My favorite rental place in Vegas might be Dollar. Can't stand them anywhere else but the Vegas operation is good. Anyway, I usually go with the cheapest option and haven't had a terrible experience so far. We've rented a car every trip and that now covers 15 years and 35 trips or so.

8. archie1959

archie1959 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rented a car last week through Hertz and they had me use a kiosk. Agent tried to up sell to a Shelby and a Mustang. Kiosk informed I needed to show receipt to Hertz to prove car was full of gas. After I finished with kiosk, car was missing from parking spot and #1 club had to assign another car. When I returned car and I showed Hertz employee gas receipt she informed me that they are trying to tell kiosk workers not to have customers have receipt for gas. Hertz worker also informed me that if I ever use their rental car company again, inform that you want to speak to a person at the counter and not a kiosk.