1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Just one more thing to make it harder to get a simple car tag/license renew

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by vwhiten, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vwhiten

vwhiten High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess this started this year in Texas grrrr. So yes I procrastinated to get my husband's tag -- it is due in August so I run up to the courthouse -- luckily in a small town you don't have to wait hours in line to get it. His inspection is also due this month and he didn't realize it -- and he just had the oil changed last Friday at the dealer -- you think someone would have realized that like my husband who drives it every day or the dealer who puts the little thingy on the window with oil change --- duhhhh -- oh well

New law even though the inspection is technically not overdue -- they can't give me the tag --- until I prove it has been inspected -- :grrr:

I just got my tag for POS Mitsubishi last month and there was nothing posted -- My inspection and license used to be due in the same month -- over time I delayed a few days each year on my inspection -- You don't get a ticket unless you are more than 3 days late - I managed to bump it up to December on my inspection -- so get 13 months -- yes I know -- don't need a lecture --

That is the funny part -- my husband shows up early for everything -- being on time is his pet peeve -- and he has lectured me about my inspection sticker -- every year -- Now he has to run up to get it inspected real quickl :Þ

36th Wedding Anniversary
  2. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha! You just made me check my windshield...I still have a "7". Do'h! Guess I'll wait until tomorrow and squeeze another free month out of it...of course that means I'm definitely getting pulled over tonight!

3. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    never had an inspection.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

I heard it's kinda like an upper GI, whatever that is.

5. ken2v

It is so freakin' easy here in CA. They mail you a notice months in advance. You go online and you're done in 30 seconds.

6. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Florida hasn't had Inspections since the 1970's. Thank goodness! This was back in the days when a full Tank of Gas cost - $3.00! That was before the Gas shortages!
    As a Teenager I remember praying that my Brakes would hold out during the inspection! And they were always having to adjust the headlights on my VW for some reason.

7. vwhiten

vwhiten High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So the husband runs up to the Phillips station and gets inspection -- he starts back home and realizes the guy doesn't put the inspection sticker on -- he turns around -- They don't put the inspection stickers on any more -- They give you a receipt and that is all. So we go back to the courthouse - My husband drops his USMC specialty plates - save $40 - plus all the crap going on in the world - he doesn't want any military insignia etc on the truck.

The guy at the counter asks if we have another vehicle. I told him I just got my sticker last month but my inspection is due in December -- he told me not to get it or I would have to get another one before July -- Had he not offered this information I would have gotten my inspection sticker -- in January.

I don't know if I can renew the sticker on line -- I haven't tried lately -- A couple of years ago our county was one of the few that did not have that option -- I guess they didn't have enough little hamsters that power the computer.

True story -- The driver's license office here about twenty-five years ago or so -- was not open every day. -- There was only one man that worked there. It was hit and miss when you had to renew. One day I went to renew and there was a sign saying he was out for the rest of the day -- plowing his field.:)

36th Wedding Anniversary
  8. ken2v

That's rich. :thumbsup:

9. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NC switched a couple years ago to inspections, tag renewals & property tax all being due at the same time and processed together. When you get the inspection, they upload it in the system and I can go online and pay for everything immediately & my new tag stickers are mailed out. Very convenient - I like it!

10. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here in WI we don't have safety inspections, but if you have an older model, you can caught with a big bill for the dreaded emission's test every other year.

At least they improved the process. Now, many car dealers can do the check and it is free. Before we had to go to the state run centers and if you procrastinated, the lines could be very long.

Christmas
  11. ken2v

Smog checks are pretty much a snap out here. Inspection stations are everywhere, they email it to DMV. I guess we've been over-regulating so long we at least have it down pat.

Safety inspection actually sounds like a good idea, but it needs to be substantive. I'd haul folks in and show they can drive, as well, with some spaced regularity. Driving is but a privilege not a right and given the number of cars out there, the LCD abilities and mentalities of so many, age and physical abilities, you name it, we should make sure folks and not just the vehicles themselves are capable. I do believe cars are our fatality weapon of choice.

12. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, the safety inspection can be a good thing. You might not notice it, but your ball joint might need replacing.

Emission testing is a crock.
    Do big rigs,buses,etc that spew large clouds of black smoke have to emission tested? I think not.

13. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's been going on here in Texas since March. We learn too.

14. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Pennsylvania we have yearly safety inspection and emmisions, degree of emmisions check depends on population of county you live in. There's three levels of testing. Very rural counties are exempt, or if you drive less than 5k a year. I live in a middle county....it's a joke they test gas cap seal and make sure a few components are on car. It costs about $40 depending on where you go. But if Pa didn't put it in place we lost federal highway money. Safety inspection is very strict, it's best to know a good and honest mechanic. Plates are $36 per year mail a check or online. Also insurance is mandatory for plate renewal and inspections. 6% tax on new or used car when first registered.

15. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Utah went from yearly inspections to every other year. Nice. They're tight on cars here but fairly loose on 4x4 mods. And, they've never noticed I don't run front plates.

Bill

16. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Illinois has it pretty tight. You get your emissions test notice a good three months before your sticker renewal and make it clear you have to have it done before your get your sticker. The test is pretty quick and they have been separating the renewals from the rest of the DMV functions so you don't have to take a number and wait.

17. cphllps

cphllps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No inspections here in Michigan. They mail everything in advance and you can do it online for a fee. I always go in since I am not paying for them to process my credit card.

18. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have lived in many states. Those with inspection rules always require you get it done before you register. Just the way it is.

19. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not here in Masshole...you register first, then have 7 days for inspection....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.