1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

just ate a half a pie

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by chef, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Made a combination rhubarb/blueberry 10-incher this afternoon and couldn't stop eating it. Not that pie was that great, but that my craving was. Rhubarb is in full bloom in this part of country. Never tried it with blueberry before. It wasn't quite as good as strawberry/rhubarb, but good none-the-less. Also put in egg, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, brown sugar and molasses, along with cornmeal to tighten it up.
    Does anyone else still make pies from scratch or is becoming a lost art. Making pie crusts is not one of my favorite cooking tasks, nor has it ever been.

2. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd like to try rhubarb pie. Never had a chance since they are hard to find.

My military buddy long ago loved rhubarb pie. His mom made him one during one of our furloughs and he would not let me have even one piece.

I vowed to try rhubarb pie one day. I need to know why my buddy loved it so much that he wouldn't even let me have one bite.

I love homemade pies. I hope that practice never dies.

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  3. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I buy the pie crust all ready made and just bake it. It taste great and no work in making a pie crust.

I make sweet potato turn-overs and just use the ready made crust. Yum...

4. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love to make pies, although I don't do it too often. Strawberry-rhubarb is one of my favorites and is always a big hit at home and/or at work. I make it with a decadent crumb top crust like you'd find on a French apple pie. OMG, scrumptious!! (And I always do my crusts from scratch; they're a pain but soooo worth it!)

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Strawberry rhubarb pie is an inside joke in my family:peace: My mom lied to me as a child and told me it was strawberry pie to get me to eat it - one day I had real strawberry pie and of course it tasted different - I learned the truth about how she LIED to me. Which is really odd since today I'll eat anything - she really didn't *need* to lie to me:rolleyes2: Can you tell I'm still bitter, 30 years later? ;-)

I'm bummed I cannot grow rhubarb - it's just not cold enough in the winter here, not the right growing season. We had it almost wild in our backyard when I was growing up in Connecticut.

Otherwise, I don't really love pie. I don't like sweets in general, and when I do crave sweets, I typically go for a cake texture instead of a pie. Though I do have a few I will make - esp for my FIL. Blueberry pie when my blueberries are in season. Applesauce pie in the fall. And for those REALLY decadent occasions, chocolate chess pie.

I use my great-grandmother's pie crust recipe:peace:

6. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use my mom's crust recipe! :)

Chocolate chess pie is TO DIE FOR... Applesauce pie sounds really interesting, too! (It's really cold and gray here today... Hmmm, maybe I should bake a pie!)

7. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll send you the recipe later -it's so easy. Amish/amish-inspired. I typically make my own applesauce because I prefer a tart apple - like granny smith - and little or no sugar. Pie filling is literally applesauce, butter, sugar. An egg. I think vanilla....

(my blueberry is easy too - blueberries, a little sugar, lemon juice, and tapioca as a thickener....)

8. bigdogmom

bigdogmom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would you share the chocolate chess pie recipe, too?? I've never made one; sounds like something yummy to bring for a potluck!

9. BlueSkadoo

BlueSkadoo VMB Sweetheart

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could I get the applesauce pie recipe? My grandfather loves sweets and we're always looking for things he can eat, since he has limited chewing abilities, and that sounds perfect!!

Thanks

10. Jimbo338

Jimbo338 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never had strawberry/rhubarb pie since I feel that strawberries are made to be eaten fresh or on strawberry shortcake or ice cream. I grew up in Connecticut and now live in NH and never realized you cannot grow rhubarb everywhere. We have a big patch and it also grows wild probably escaped from the garden years ago. My mom used to make rhubarb sause when we were kids and I loved it probably cause it had a ton of sugar in it. Or, as kids we would take a cup of sugar and grab a stalk and dip it into the sugar and eat it raw.

Well, about 40 years go by and I decided to make rhubarb sauce. I call a friend's wife for advice and go cut some stalks, peel it and cut it up into pieces, simmer it and add sugar. I strained all the stringy stuff and had a nice bowl of rhubarb sauce.....probably enough to last me my last 40 years! I decided to give the remainder to a friend who I usually supply with fresh rhubarb who later told me he didn't eat most of it cause I strained all the stringy stuff out! lol

Well, rhubarb is almost ready in NH, apples are in blossom!

jimbo338

11. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My recipes are at home so I'll post later:peace:

(Jimbo - my MIL is from northern Ohio and I grew up all over but mostly CT - we've both been frustrated by what we cannot grow - but what we *can* grow is pretty amazing, so I'm not complaining too much:cheers:)

12. S'AllGoodMan

S'AllGoodMan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rhubarb is my favorite pie. No strawberries. Just cooked rhubarb with sugar and corn starch to thicken. Then you bake it in a full crust.

My grandmother used to make it for me as a kid and i would get to help. I haven't had it in years...

Hoya, thanks for the recipes. They sound great.

13. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like rhubarb sauce on meat, like a pork roast. Typically I prepare sort of like that pie filling - cook with a little sugar, cornstarch or arrowroot.....

14. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pie recipes are posted here

Yeah, now I feel I need to bake this weekend ;-) Maybe I'll make my mom something for Mother's Day. Guess I better see if she'll be in town:eek:

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.