1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

It's Shrimp Boil in six days!!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

We like to entertain and cook, as you've likely surmised. One of our best traditions is the late-summer shrimp boil, which we started down south then relaunched up here with this being the third installment. It's getting crazy out of control as we're looking at north of 70 attendees this year. WTF? We need a bunch of people to really make asses out of themselves so we can excommunicate them or something. :evil laugh

I just got off the horn with someone in LA (that would be the gulf LA, not home to the choking dogs Angels and Dodgers) ordering up our shrimp -- thanks for that tip here. We're doing CheeseCrack (queso fundido), blanched veggies with a Creole dipper, watermelon-tomato salad, cole slaw, the usual corn/sausage/spud/shrimp and we'll have a bunch of local berries with crema and brownies -- you gotta have chocolate -- for dessert. So glad we are at our casa as the wine bottle tally at the end can be staggering, though the local cabbies do well that evening.

Every year we look at the simplicity of the menu and then just laugh at the work that goes into pulling this off. And we'd have it no other way. Fun with friends. That's what it is ALL about.

Now when do the holidays roll in?????

2. TheCooler

TheCooler Professional Gambler and the Best Football Handica

That sounds amazing Ken, if a bit of a logistical nightmare. I couldn't even begin to imagine having 70 guests at my house.

3. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What are you boiling the shrimp in? Hopefully something like Zatarain's shrimp and crab boil. Maybe throw some ears of corn or andouille in there too. If someone says they don't eat meat, you can ask them politely but firmly to leave. That will thin your crowd out a little.

4. ken2v

WTH? We gotta let them IN the house?!? lol We'd be hosed if this was some swank sit-down soiree but most all of this will happen outside and once the prep work is done the "cooking" all happens outside in a massive caldron we bought for this occasion. Probably gonna be three soaks, maybe four, however, with this crowd. It's actually a pretty easy endeavor ONCE it starts.

- - - Updated - - -

"corn/sausage/spud/shrimp."

We're Old Bay-ers.

5. TheCooler

TheCooler Professional Gambler and the Best Football Handica

My Man!

6. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Old Bay, of course! :evillaugh.

Is there anything else? :poke:

Had some oysters grille with garlic and butter at a festival in Connecticut, crack on a half shell. Props to the Acme Oyster House in NOLA, I think it's where this dish was invented.

7. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You must be doing something right. Good food; Relaxed, inviting atmosphere; Great friends. Have fun!!:beer:

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  8. ken2v

Don't you got starting any pizza/Battista's/BBQ holy wars on my thread, son. :wink2:

9. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :popcorn

Haha, I thought I could slip that one in......just wanted to spice things up a bit, bad pun intended!

I have a packet of Zatarins crab cake spice mix, and as temporary empty nesters, I vow to use it soon,

But the idea of a shrimp boil sounds like a great idea for an upcoming no wives weekend/fishing trip.

Any craft brews at this shindig? Corona does not count.

10. ken2v

Who would even put "Corona" within earshot of "craft brews." A pox upon your hops!!!!

If I recall correctly, the beer fridge presently has Ninkasi, Firestone, Figueroa Mountain, the obligatory Guinness which I don't see in play this Sunday, Terminal Gravity, Green Flash or maybe it's Lagunitas and some real Czech pilsner I got from a Czech friend.

11. vwhiten

vwhiten High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds great -- I can't imagine having that many people over. I am not a beer person at all and my husband is a Royal Crown man-- my son likes all the craft/specialty beers. His new love he found while on a business trip to New Orleans is a Belgium beer Karmeliet Tripel. His usual go to beer is Shiner Bock Bohemian dark lager -- cost wise more affordable than his favorite Optimator.

My go to beer if I have to drink it is the Bud Light - ritas --

36th Wedding Anniversary
  12. ken2v

We'll have some beer folks here for sure but it's gonna be a wine-y afternoon and evening! Personally, I'm an equal opportunity drinker: bourbon, tequila, vodka, Scotch, good beer, wine.

13. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Putting feta in your watermelon salad, I trust. And, I don't think I have to remind you not to overcook those shrimp.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.