1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

IT Help/Network Specific: Routing Protocol with only ONE router?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by TIMSPEED, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

TIMSPEED Too young, Too poor, Too addicted.

Aug 8, 2013
    Modesto, CA
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    This might be a stupid question... and I'm just looking into taking my CCNA...but if I have only ONE router per LAN...wouldn't a routing protocol (like EIGRP) be kind of pointless, because in total I only have like 10 routers total in the WAN?
    If I'm seeing this right...the router only cares about other routers within the same network...if all my routers are on different networks (although connecting to one main core switch), wouldn't the route just be one (Router -> Core switch)

Like I said, just looking into actual routing protocols and CCNA (going past desktop and server support)

EDIT: Nevermind...with small scale you COULD do Static Routes (which I guess we always did?) but it's not scalable..so even with small EIGRP and summarzing/stubbing is the way to go...
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
    Palace Tower Suite!
    Thanks CreditKarma!
  2. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

Jul 22, 2013
    Glad you answered it because an airport without traffic control was starting to brew over my head.

Edit: with that said...I once talked with a guy who was a CCIE and he said if you are going to do Cisco and you want to work in WAN, then stopping short of CCIE is hurting your pay potential. Now this was way back in the early 2000's when certs meant money, so not sure if it applies anymore. He also said the CCIE practical was no joke.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.