1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Is there problem with Verizon data service near the strip?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Vegas863, Jun 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegas863

Vegas863 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Curious to know if anyone else happens to be in town and is having problems getting consistent data service on Verizon. Both 4G and 3G continues to drop. VZW Customer Service hasn't been helpful thus far.

2. worldtraveler661

worldtraveler661 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Usually fine with my phone. There are certain hotels that dont get that great of a reception. Encore up top I've had some connection probs from my experience.

3. JarettK

JarettK Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep in mind what conferences are in the area when you go. If any geek or sales type conventions are nearby, it could be that the network is just saturated, since people at those live on their phones/wireless hotspots/etc 24x7.

Normal phone service and 3G/4g ride different parts of a carriers signal/network depending on the carrier. Makes a difference when you notice things like you can make a call but not get net access on your phone.

4. Vegas863

Vegas863 Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies, it seems to have gotten a little better so perhaps it was just over saturation of the network. Perhaps from the overload of WSOP players.

5. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We had the same problem at Encore. Service was intermittent at best and frequently non-existent from our high (59th floor) room but seemed better from the pool area.

6. luvnvegas2

luvnvegas2 Guest

I have never had a problem with my Verizon service but, offer the following suggestion for Verizon Wireless users. I managed cellular services for my employer and suggest you do the following. Once a month, you should dial *228 and choose the option for updating your roaming capabilities. Doing so adds any new towers to your device. In addition, it does improve battery life and generally gives your phone a boost. This must be done from your home calling area. In other words, you cannot live in Michigan and do this while in Nevada.

If you have a smartphone (Droid, IPhone) it should be shut off occassionally. Doing so, is similar to clearing the cache on your pc and helps the performance of the device.

Car chargers should be used only when absolutely necessary. The charge from a car charger is different from wall current and also can impact the battery on your phone. There are conflicting opinions on this, but I have had to replace many employee batteries due to overuse of car chargers and we discourage their use on a regular basis.

7. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the tips!:nworthy: I had been told about the *228 before by VZ but forgot.:rolleyes2:

8. thenuke1

thenuke1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i get the fastest internet anywhere in vegas...

So much so that i ditched the wifi internet (built into the resort fee) from Circus Circus and used my DroidX (rooted) and tethered via USB ...

9. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It should be noted that any phone that has a SIM card (Droid Razr, etc) on the 4G network does not require *228 done to it. Matter of fact, the phone won't even allow you to call the number.

But I've heard if you really needed to to it, you dial *22899 instead.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/490780-228.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.