1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Is Payless Car Rental really that bad?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by elbee309, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elbee309

elbee309 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We'll be in Vegas March 11-20 and have always rented a car from Alamo or one of the other major companies (sometimes using Priceline). Everything for this time period is $350 and over except for Payless. I booked them a couple weeks ago at $223 all in (intermediate) but after reading the reviews on Payless, I'm not sure we want to take a chance on them. Any thoughts or special deals I haven't found yet.

2. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm going to be in vegas from March 8 - 16 and because of nascar (and st. patty's day and march madness) all the rentals are sky high now. Even the costco site lists rentals all over $350 for something I probably paid only $140 this past October.

I rented from Payless before and would prefer to rent elsewhere if I found similar prices. Payless isn't the greatest but should be sufficient. Just be prepared for long lines and long waits to be processed. Limited selection with cars, when I rented a car there was only one car in my size. I was lucky because someone who rented a full sized car was already waiting in the lot for half an hour for their car (payless said that their car was being washed and processed, I think they were waiting for the car to be returned). Payless doesn't seem to ugrade you if they don't have your car size available.

Another thing, make sure you bring along a copy of your reservation, if your rental price doesn't coincide with your reservation price then go over your bill with a fine tooth comb, they usually added on some unnecessary daily option such as a lock out fee or fix a flat fee to your bill so they make a little more off you. Sometimes when you question a charge the salesclerk will try to con you and tell you that it is a standard charge. Unfortunately you don't have much recourse so be prepared to pay a little more than you expect.

For a week's rental I would probably pay another $50-75 more from a national chain just to avoid the hassles and better service. In your case at this stage you should probably stick with payless but keep checking the search sites daily as you may get lucky and find a better deal.

3. LVHooked

LVHooked High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rented from them once, like Makikiboy says they add $3 and change per day charge to your bill, for road service. I was quite a while arguing with the guy before I found it. He removed it, but that’s why the line is so slow.

4. zamboni

zamboni VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bad enough the rates in Vegas are about 40-45% taxes then they add crap like that on.

Super Bowl 2017!!!!
    Super Bowl 2017!!!
  5. OKC Gal

OKC Gal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To save money, play around with two separate reservations during your time in Vegas. Bring the car back and get another. I've done that a few times to save money and it does work. Not really that much of a hassle.

6. Twinks

Twinks Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband rented from Payless last week. He said there was no line when he got there, so it was very quick to get the car. The rental was $11 a day for a midsized, but the insurance was an extra $20 a day, so that added up. Other than that, all was fine.

7. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you just want to get a car and get out, DON'T go to Payless-Waitmore Car Rental.....if you have time (at least 1 hour) then you can save a lot of money from Payless-Waitmore.....just keep saying NO to everything they try to sell you....you could say you been through this before and I'm NOT interested in ANYTHING EXTRA......ALSO...make sure you have a copy of your insurance card with you are they will KILL you with insurance....more then the rental cost.

BTW to that "were washing you car BS"....they told me everything is running slow because the car wash broke down that washes 100 cars at one time....and all the cars are stuck in there.....I must of looked like I had IDIOT dust all over me for someone to say that to me....:rolleyes2:

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never rented from Payless in Vegas, but did 3 weeks ago in Tampa. No hassles, no hard sell for the extra insurance. I declined that and the gas option and they just had me initial it.

They were off airport with their own shuttle, but it only took a 15 minute wait.

I would do it again since they were about 70% cheaper than Dollar, my normal rental place.

Christmas
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.