1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Is it true? Dig for turquoise in Vegas ?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Sumitup, Mar 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sumitup

Sumitup Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok did i open up a can of worms !
    My wife and I are going to Vegas mid April with her sister and husband. I mistakenly said I heard you can "dig for turquoise" in Vegas ! And now they want to go do it. My questions are:
    We are only in Vegas 3 days sat/sun/mon and leave Tuesday . And I figure the only day we could really go would be on Monday. Is it too far and is it worth it ?
    Anybody ever do it ?
    Any help with this decision. Would be greatly appreciated ..
    Thanks

2. Smo

Smo Mr. Las Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can find turquoise all over Nevada, but a 4-wheel drive is recommended if you go out and about the deserts by yourselves. About 4 hours North of Las Vegas is the Royston Turquoise mine. They have tours, a shop, and you can dig through their tailings for a fee and look for turquoise there. They require at least a 2 week notice for your reservation.

http://www.roystonturquoise.com/minetours.htm

Most of the turquoise mines are in the Northern half of Nevada, far from Vegas.

3. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm.. for a three day trip I think I would be saying "Whats this 'we' stuff and digging up turquoise... you can go do it if you want" :)

As far as worth it: it really depends if this is something that interests you or you would find entertaining. To me I would have no interest in doing it, but I am sure there are plenty of people that find it neat/fascinating/interesting to go and do.

4. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It looked interesting til I saw the cost. I wouldn't even want to do the tour. I would just want to sift for turquoise. In Wisconsin Dells, they have an attraction where you buy buckets of sand and sift through them for rough. For all the gem mining in Nevada and Arizona, I wonder if something like that could be popular.

5. jackincols

jackincols Guest

While this would interest me somewhat, not so much that I would

A. Travel 4 hours one way to get there.
    B. Shell out a CNote for a bucket with no probable chance of getting my money back with a sizeable find of turquoise.

6. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Traveling four hours each way to try and find turquoise is a waste of precious Vegas time when you are only going for three days. If they were diamonds maybe....

A side trip that is not too far out of the way (but still extremely cool and fun) is the gold mine tour at El Dorado Canyon/Nelson's Landing:

http://www.eldoradocanyonminetours.com/

Nelson's Landing feels like you were transported into the middle of an old ghost town in the Wild West - there is a great store there where you can get a bite to eat or just browse through the souvenirs - definitely a fun day trip but not one that will eat up an entire day of your Vegas time.

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nv/nelson.html

The turn off to head toward Nelson's Landing is not far from Boulder City, so that could be another good pit stop if you want to have an adventure that is different from what you can get on the Strip but won't take a toll in travel time.

7. TomTWI

TomTWI High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For the OP if you want to get out of it just casually mention you need to pick up a snake bite kit and or scorpion antidote. Don't know about yours but that would end it for my wife.

Just hope she doesn't read this MB.

TomTWI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.