1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Is It Customary To Tip When You Win A Free VIP Party At A Bar Lounge Nearby?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by PartyBeastGuy, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PartyBeastGuy

PartyBeastGuy Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't even know how they got my name & address or how I even got entered in their contest as I've never even been there before. I was already gonna tip the bartendress but do I have to tip the doorman and hostess and security and leave the usual huge tip for the "free bottle of champagne" after I know I may have to be taxed for it, too? If I have to spend all this money for this "free party," I don't know if it's even worth having. I was thinking about just not even presenting the congratulatory letter I received from them to the hostess and just show up as a fake name I'm gonna send on the guestlist so, I don't have to receive the free champagne bottle so, I don't have to pay taxes on the bottle or even tip for it. Basically, just show up as one of the guests. Ha ha. What do you people think? This is what was in the letter:

Department Of Sweepstakes And Awards
    Certified Winner Notification

Congratulations.
    This letter is official notification you are a confirmed 2012 Summer Sweepstakes Winner
    You have won a Summer VIP Party for up to 25 people (the value of your party is over $1,000).
    Friday June 29, 2012.
    Open bar from 10:30PM to 11:30PM for you and your guests.
    Free admission for everyone.
    Please call to confirm you received this winning notification and to reserve your free bottle of champagne.
    Anytime your guests arrive, they simply inform our host at the front door the winning confirmation number and your guests will be given a VIP bracelet entitling them to an open bar from 10:30PM to 11:30PM.
    In addition, to help celebrate your winning, when you arrive please present this notification to our host at the front door for a free bottle of champagne.
    Once again congratulations as a confirmed winner in the 2012 Summer Sweepstakes.

2. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmm, this almost sounds like a scam to me. "Department of Sweepstakes and Awards"???

I guess I would be doing some research first, just my two cents worth.

3. heatherlovesvegas

heatherlovesvegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea it does look fake.. if it's real you'd have to fill out a tax form, a W9 or 1099 since it's over $600 (sweepstakes wins are taxed as income), and if you didn't remember you entered it.. I wouldn't be giving strangers my social security number.

Or if you think it's real call the place, and double check everything and ask what the deal is.

Most likely it seems like some kind of scam to get you there and spend money haha. A lot of bars have free open bar for an hour, and ladies are free at a lot of places.. and it doesn't say you get "bottle service" or a table or anything, just a physical bottle of champagne.

But to answer your question, yes you need to tip the waitresses.

4. PartyBeastGuy

PartyBeastGuy Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh. Well, I called and it seemed for real. And I know to tip the waitresses, but the doorman, hostess, and security, too? Because they already expect me to pay the tax + tip on the so-called free champagne bottle. Ha ha.

5. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a real scam

They will give you a cheap bottle of Champagne. Then expect you to spend lots of money tipping everybody that is a service person.

You will end up spending more money than what the Champagne is worth.

The deal is real... but not worth it. It looks like a cheapy fly by night deal.

Do yourself a favor and throw the letter away.

6. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1 HR of open bar,then Your f-ed!!

I have a feeling that the drink service is going to be super slow until 11:30pm and all of a sudden the booze will flow. I'll bet you'll have to post a credit card for " incidentals" or "gratuities"which probably means at 11:31you better bend over and brace yourself.
    How scummers like this can pull this crap is amazing! I'd just give this letter to your local consumer protection agency to keep on file.

7. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They plan to make money

It would be really funny to invite 25 persons to your VIP Party and after the hour of free drinking is over..... a friend says..."lets go someplace else!!"

But people don't want to look like cheap-skates and will pay for drinks at a higher price and that is how the Bar gets their money back.

It's a scam for sure unless you turn the tables on them which I don't think you will do because a "Very Important Person".... who is you... could never do that.
    I still say throw the letter away.

8. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    most likely, it's a way of drumming up business to an otherwise poorly attended bar. You aren't getting anything other than a decent happy hour deal, to be followed by overpriced drinks to be sure.

9. PartyBeastGuy

PartyBeastGuy Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ha ha @ the "hey, let's go some place else!" I'm literally CTFU. And good lookin' out for the advice, people. I'mma just take y'all advice & not do it. Party's off, people! Heh. :Þ:peace:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.