1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Is Hertz LAS that bad???

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by kralthewizard, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kralthewizard

kralthewizard Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I typically never pay for a rental car in advance, but got a killer deal through Priceline and had to pay upfront for a midsize SUV only $120 all in for 5/23-5/28. I was ecstatic as that was cheaper than even a midsize car through Payless which I booked and rebooked a bunch to even get such a low price with them for a holiday weekend. When i saw Hertz I thought, well that's a big company, should be a great experience.

Then I saw the reviews...

Is Hertz LAS really that bad? They have horrible Yelp reviews! We aren't getting in til really late on 5/23 (which is a Saturday) and it seems like they run out of cars all of the time. I also read a lot of people saying b/c the car had a little dirt on it or it rained and made the car a bit dirty and Hertz was going to charge them a $25 detail charge.

Anyone had these experiences? I'm a bit nervous although there's nothing I can do now. Thanks in advance for your input!

2. Fligster

Fligster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only issue I had was last time where the car they assigned wasn't in the spot and I had to speak to the garage guy and he just gave me a different one. I haven't had any issues with service or charges etc.

15th Anniversary Trip
    Pink17 ITSM Conference
  3. trellaine

trellaine Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hahaha funny I should come across this post. I got the same SUV mid size from hotwire. May25-28.

My friend says Hertz is good BUT I dunno .

I was hoping I could bypass the counter but you have to be a gold club member or something and also had to have rented at least once before from Hertz.

I am expecting LONG lineups next Monday.

4. hattrick225

hattrick225 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've rented from them @ LAS a couple of times, and never had any issues with the car or charges. I have a reservation with them for an upcoming this summer, as well. On one trip (~3 yrs ago) they must not have been making #s that month, because they REALLY gave me the hard sell on EVERYTHING from the insurances, to the prepaid gas, to trying to convince me that their economy car would not be big enough for me and my one single suitcase. It was getting annoying, and took a lot longer that it really needed to, but not a huge deal, and wouldn't prevent me from using them again. Just petty annoying stuff.

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rented from Hertz Las Vegas approximately once a month for several years till our company switched it's contract to National about 3 years ago. I never had any issues at all... Gold Club...right to the vehicle, on my way. I haven't seen the Yelp reviews, but my guess is this is a category where people are predisposed to complain about... unless the service is so OUTSTANDING, is anyone really of a mind to write a review? But let one thing go wrong and the keyboard commandos are ready to pen a nasty review at the drop of a hat.

6. Film-Noir

Film-Noir High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    na,

Hi Kralthewizard

We always Priceline, name your own price, Never had a problem.

We always do a pre-inspection, I have a flash light in my back pack for that & mark the crap out of the Sheet.
    (The car rental garage is dark & unless it's night, you will be bright blinded)
    Scratches, dings & chips on the windows (during the boom was a bad issue, from all the dump & concrete trucks)
    and make sure it has a spare tire.

If we don't like the car, we ask the downstairs person for a swap with a $10 sandwich.

2 recent rejects, a Jeep (junky), had a Cup holders mounted in the center Console
    with a Sheet metal roofing Screw with the Seal washer drilled into it.

The other reject was a Red Rental with Alabama plates, we always pic cars with NV. plates when in Las Vegas.

Take a pic of Starting mileage, ending mileage w/full tank of gas & keep the gas receipt.
    /rinse repeat

As far as Yelp, it's Troll heaven & now irrelevant

Enjoy!

7. Piggylane

Piggylane Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a President's Circle Hertz member, arrived a couple hours ago and they really pissed me off. Because my plane was three hours late (busted grease fitting on a 737 out of Detroit) I missed my regular pickup time. When I got here they had me in a Dodge Avenger with 58K on the odometer and it looked like it was ready for the shredder. I asked for a better car, given my status. I got a Corolla with 27K on it.

I left Avis after 30 loyal years for crap like this. I will bitch at Hertz Corporate. This is the first time I've had an issue. The garage was pretty empty.

I will not tell you my plans for the Corolla. It won't make it to 58K, I can guarantee that.

8. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's always hit and miss, it mostly depends on the clerk you happen to get. People are much more apt to post a negative review than a positive one so I take those with a grain of salt. You will hear horror stories about every company. It's true some seem to have more of those than others but if the price is that good then I wouldn't worry about it, you'll be fine.

9. kralthewizard

kralthewizard Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks all for the feedback! I guess we'll see how it goes. As I usually say it's usually all in what you make it, so hopefully I'll stay cool and calm no matter how it goes and remember that I'm still IN VEGAS! Thanks for all of the great posts on this board, it's always been a great help!

10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I seldom do Hertz. I get the Hertz #1 through work, but the prices are almost always high. I did a one-day rental from Hertz at Paris recently with no problems at all. Easy out, no line, easy in. I've done Hertz in other cities and I can't think of a bad experience, well, uh, except their prices could be better. They are seldom very competitive.

11. trellaine

trellaine Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cheap rentals on mid size SUV next week if anyone's interested.

Must be a slow week. I've seen cheap prices for the past week or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.