1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

iPad mini advice needed. Which one?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Nov 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I need some advice on an Apple iPad mini. We were at a bar the other day and the guy next to my wife was using a mini with an add-on keyboard. My wife loved it. She currently has a iPad and complains how heavy it gets.
    She wants to stick with Apple, so I’m looking at pricing.

Mini 3 16gb for $399
    Mini 3 64gb for $499
    Mini 3 128gb for $599.

Mini 2 16 gb for $299
    Mini 2 32 gb for $349

She doesn’t need cellular, just wifi.

Any pros & cons among them and would she really need 128gb version? Web surfing and email are her two main uses.

TIA from a guy still using a 10# laptop, but I would get the old iPad if she buys a new mini! :thumbsup:

EDIT: And is there going to be mini 4 coming out soon to make whatever we buy old?

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  2. Thickskinnedalive

Thickskinnedalive Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mini 3 just came out so Mini 4 not even on the radar yet. If she is not into storing movies and doesn't have massive music collection she shouldn't need 128G. IOS8 is massive and installs around 8G so rule out the 16G models. Best bang for the buck is the iPad Mini 2 aka retina in the 32G model. There is very little difference between the 2 and the 3 and not worth the premium price point IMHO. Finger print security the big thing otherwise they are nearly identical spec wise.

If you can wait until Black Friday I've seen ads that show another $50 or so off iPads.

3. Kirby

Kirby Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check Microcenter.com currently 310 for mini 2 32gig. Also Best Buy is 75 off on Black Friday. Personally think the mini 3 is over priced for the added features of the mini 2.

4. gpenguins67

gpenguins67 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, if she is only using it for web surfing and email, a 128gb is overkill. You only need that much memory if you are going to put a lot of movies/music on it. I'm not really a big apple person, but I know when the mini came out it was 1 generation behind on the processor..... although I don't know if that is still true. I would say to go a newer model and step down to 32 gb for her.

5. tipdrill

tipdrill Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    32 or 64GB.

6. lotso-bear

lotso-bear VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should consider an iPad Air 2 since it's pretty lightweight and still gives you the bigger display. I believe BestBuy has the 64GB ones on sale for $399.99 ($100 off original) on Black Friday,

7. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How is her vision? I loved my iPad mini when I bought it. Then realized I had too much eye strain and was tired of zooming

Definitely not 16G. I didn't listen when I bought my Air, after the mini, and though not full, found it didn't have enough space to permit iOS upgrades so I was deleting lots of stuff. PITA. I don't have any videos on it.

I recommend last years Air, 32G or second choice would be this years at 64G. They are both light and fit inside most average size women's purses.

8. newmans

newmans VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ditto. I have an older iPad and then bought an iPad mini. I liked it at first, but found it too small. I've pretty much gone back to my original iPad.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.