1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Interesting theory someone told me on room prices

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by AceRothstein80, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AceRothstein80

AceRothstein80 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, I am looking to go to Vegas in early April, room rates are very high, compared to what I normally have to pay. Total Rewards will not honor my deal code the nights I am going.

I check all the other sites, Mlife, priceline, Expedia, exct exct.

My friend who is a traveler, a seminar guru, and somewhat of a conspiracy theorist told me this: that a guy told him, traveling sites, use your IP adress, cookies and such.... And see that you are constantly searching for a trip. And that they slightly raise the price lil by lil, scaring you into booking. They figure since you looking so much for specific dates you are commited

I'm about 30 days out from when I want to go. I'm not totally sold on his theory, but I am going to take 7 days off or so from searching, before checking back into rates.

2. bta15

bta15 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Clear you cookies or go check from the library. It's all supply and demand

3. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That theory doesnt work very well considering that 90% of room rates are fully refundable... Book what works now and if you come back 7 days later and prices went down, rebook. Packages are a different story, but typically not the cheaper option either.

4. JeJas

JeJas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What dates are you talking about? If you can avoid Friday & Saturday night, the rates are not so crazy.

5. Kolmeseiska

Kolmeseiska Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What I've heard is that if you book exactly midnight on the first Thursday of each month during a full moon you're almost guaranteed to get a bargain. Sadly I can't get all 3 to work together so I'm forced to book the normal rates.

I've heard all of these stories and I've never ever seen any sort of difference in prices. I kind of feel left out.

6. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The cost of implementing a reliable system would far outweigh the ROI third party travel sites would make in commissions within any reasonable timeframe.

7. AceRothstein80

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately fri/sat is unavoidable, I am going to see GNR. I found out Manny Pacquio is fighting, which I was unaware of until recently. So idk if that is why rates are so high or not?

I figured him theory was a lil off, but what he said about prices slightly rising each time is kind of true. Especially with the 3rd party travel sites.

- - - Updated - - -

Damnit I missed the first thursday

8. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is some evidence that repeat searches impact the quotes you get. Clearing your cookies should help with that. But the bigger issue is the fight and the short lead time. I think this maybe Manny's last fight so it's a big one that will impact room rates for most strip hotels. People like to go for fight weekend even though they won't see it. Also, TR will group people and send offers out to them. There can be limits on how many of those offers they honor on a date. If you don't jump on them early, the people who did will crowd you out. Waiting longer won't help you get a better deal.

9. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just search in a private or incognito window.

Its only going to be a couple of dollars difference after all.

10. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have wondered about that when checking airline rates as if I checked one day and then looked again a day or two later, the price was up. I clear my cookies now. May be a coincidence.

11. spdandpwr

spdandpwr Low-Roller

You're going the week / weekend I'm going. The prices have been lifting every day since I booked some 6 weeks ago. If you want to save coin, there's a 25% off coupon floating around in the hotel offers / discount section of the site. A room at MGM came to like 600 bucks. Not much coin for a busy April weekend. The bigger question is if you can save money on the GNR tickets :)

And to answer your question, I had to refresh the page some 100 times to get the discount I wanted to two rooms. If I booked my rooms now, it's would be double what I paid.

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    #1 Rule in hotels is Supply and Demand. And Vegas is #1 in this business. Where else can you see a daily room rate go from $59 to $500+ in the same month?

All the rest is conspiracy theory stuff with may be a LITTLE truth blended in.

By the way, try booking while logged into CET and do not use any offer codes. You usually can do better.

13. Miles1

Miles1 Tourist

Have you tried calling TR? You can sometimes get offer codes honored by phone that will not work on the web site.

14. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Airlines definitely do it. I can be logged into my United account and search a flight several times and the fares generally stay the same or even be up a couple bucks and then pull up the same request on my laptop at work and it has shown a lower fare sometimes.

Hell they're even known for displaying higher prices for Apple device users sometimes. I was getting fares for my March trip way higher on my iPad when compared to laptops.

15. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED !địt mẹ!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Working for a Travel Website software company...you're on the right track.

Palace Tower Suite!
  16. AceRothstein80

Trips to Las Vegas:

cool, I will check that. I want to avoid MGM because that is where the fight is, but maybe Monte Carlo or NYNY will be cheap enough for my blood

17. AceRothstein80

Trips to Las Vegas:

I locked in at a price, that was a lil cheaper than they had been showing me, but still expensive none the less.

So, if I go on TR in a week or two and check prices, while logged in, there is a chance that they will be lower? And if so, just cancel my old trip and rebook?

18. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is where the cookies do come in for some sites, prices will go up if you don't clear them and do multiple searches. I think I watched a Youtube of a guy on one of the booking sites and it was going up when he did multiple searches for the same flight.

19. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you ever get a lower price after booking, rebook the new price first and call to cancel the old price once you have your confirmation. Make sure when you are booking that it is all refundable, most rates are unless they are package deals with airfare or some other piece of the vacation.

20. AceRothstein80

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, I have free cancellation, so should be all good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.