1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Insure My Rental Car Dot Com.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by MTMONGO, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTMONGO

MTMONGO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone used an outside insurance for a rental car? My credit card and auto insurance cover a rental, but here's the deal.
    My buddy was in LV for Super Bowl and was rear ended (the car not him) not his fault and had declined the rental insurance. His car insurance covered him for a rental, but the rental place is charging him loss of time for the car. It has been a cluster F for him.
    insuremyrentalcar.com will do a policy for our 6 day rental for $39, compared to $24 a day at the rental counter.
    I think I am going to do it, just for piece of mind.

2. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never had that problem with my American Express, they covered everything when some idiot sideswiped me in Florida a couple years back.

As for Vegas, I have no rental car experience because I drink too much to ever trust myself to rent a car there.

I would call the insurer and just ask what the policy covers. If you care to divulge the details of your buddies situation and you intent to avoid it I'm sure they will let you know what is and is not covered.

3. jimboguy

jimboguy Blubbery Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The thing to be wary of when going with a 3rd party rental car CDW is to be sure they cover loss of use even without the rental car agency releasing the rental log. Many 3rd party insurers - and credit cards that cover collision damage on rentals - will only cover loss of use if there is proof that the rental car company had no other available cars to rent while your rental car was in the shop. Rental car agencies are not required to release their rental log data; which can make it quite difficult (and quite a hassle) to get your loss of use charges covered by the 3rd party insurer.
    However, if you buy the CDW directly from the car rental company, you will not have to worry about loss of use charges in the event of an accident (provided you weren't speeding or violating any other policies outlined in the rental agreement).

I agree that $24 per day for a CDW sounds steep especially when compared to the $8/day price offered by third party insurers, but the potential hassle of paperwork and proving loss of use charges may not be worth the upfront savings.

4. jimboguy

jimboguy Blubbery Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you can get an American Express card, it's indeed a solid choice. AMEX has a car rental insurance option where, for about $30 per rental period, they cover you quite well.

5. klawrey

klawrey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1

AMEX got their old ads right, "Never leave home without it."

6. MTMONGO

MTMONGO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cool have AMEX. Thanks for the info. have rented many times and not worried.

7. smerrian

smerrian Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    AMEX is the way to go. Call them (phone # on your card) or go to website. You hook your card up to program (free) that gives you primary coverage (ahead of your regular insurance) just for this type of thing. This is how it works: Once you hook your card up online you just use the card for any car rental up to 42 days and you will automatically be charged $19.95 for coverage for the ENTIRE rental period. I was just in LV for 2 weeks and had full coverage for only $19.95 just by using my AMEX card. I also used it for a shorter rental of 3 days...same $19.95...but it was for an upscale car and I wanted the extra insurance.

8. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always use my Am Ex card when I rent a car. I signed up for their rental insurance option, which includes coverage for premium and luxury sized cars. It came in handy a couple of years ago when they noticed a scrape on the right front quarter panel. It must have happened the night before when I used the Mirage valet. Anyhow, Am Ex handled the whole thing after my initial call to them. They sent me e-mails keeping me up to date and they paid the claim ($400) in full with no out of pocket expense to me; other than the initial $24.95 charge for coverage for the length of my rental. I swear by these guys; they take care of you.

One more time!
    Winter break
  9. Foos

Foos Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I use Amex primary insurance every time, $19.95 plan (19.95 offered In Mn) per rental for up to 30 days.
    Peace of mind

Four Queens 7 Nights at $25 Per Night Including Friday And Saturday
  10. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you've got the united-branded chase card ("mileage plus explorer"), as a built-in feature is it provides primary rental coverage. Most other cards are secondary unless, as some here have done, one adds on a feature

11. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup...Not anymore at least. Back when I wasnt so degenerate I rented one to go to the Grand Canyon

12. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder if they've faced litigation over that yet, It sounds like a racket to intimidate people into buying their coverage even when they are covered.

13. jimboguy

jimboguy Blubbery Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know if there's been any litigation, but it definitely sounds like a racket.

14. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Diner's Club is the best for car rental coverage. There's no additional charge for Primary Coverage. If you charge the car to your Diner's Club card, you're covered.

I had one claim about 7 or 8 years ago where a piece of pipe came flying across the Interstate and hit the plastic/rubber front bumper of my rental car. The rental car company claimed that it was major damage of $3000+ and wanted to replace the radiator, part of the AC system, etc. I told Diner's it was a bogus highly inflated claim but they paid it 100% anyway. After the "accident" I drove the car probably 1000 miles over two days and had no problem with overheating or the AC...the only damage was to the bumper which had a hole about 6 inches wide and 1-2 inches high where the piece of pipe went right through it. I could have bought some duct tape at the store & covered up the hole on the grey bumper and they never would have known it was there..

15. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Barclays MC covers loss of use fees. That with my regular car insurance should cover you. many other cards do the same. Its def a scam the Rental companys use, but hopefully the informed consumer can avoid.

16. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To answer the original question, I posted a similar question some time ago with no meaningful response.

Since then I've used one $9 per day insurance, Midnight Auto Supply or something like that, and the insurance at a similar price through Travelocity.

I do have the Wells Fargo Visa and I've used it for insurance (Major push-back at Dollar in LV once!) and I phoned them to (try to) see what I am really covered for. I even got a supervisor and I never could get a straight answer whether I am **REALLY** covered for that pesky loss of use. I did not feel warm and fuzzy about it, so lately when I've rented I take out the cheaper insurance.

The next time I speak to my insurance agent (lol, maybe once every few years) I plan to ask about what I'm really covered for on a rental car and if necessary how much a rider for the loss of use on a rental car is.

17. MTMONGO

MTMONGO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks dmr.
    After I read some reviews and checked into it more I am going with the 3rd party insurance. Read a few reviews about AMEX being a bitch to deal with on a claim.
    Hell its $39 for 6 days I'll spend that in tips the 1st 3 hrs in LV.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.