1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Impressions of this year's CES and AVN expo

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by makikiboy, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    haven't seen any posts (I haven't read the TR's though) about this year's CES and AVN expo.

Anyone has any opinions on this years conventions? I know that the CES is SOP but how about the AVN?

I attended last year's AVN and it was the pits, smaller setup, not as many exhibitors and basically very little freebies offerred. Probably could have attended the first 2 days and saved some money since there wasn't much to see or do. The showroom they used for the entertainers was a joke, during the fan days the place was a madhouse and packed as heck and many of us avoided that place because it was so crowded. The showroom wasn't even open the first day (trade day) so we had to compete with the fans and the crowds on the other days. I honestly don't think that the HRH is big enough to hold a venue like the AVN IMHO.

I just wondered if it was done better than 2012. Because it is on a separate week than the CES I am not sure if I would attend both conventions the next time I go.

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was at the Hard Rock for my regular business Tuesday-Friday of the AVN convention week. The place started to get busy on Wednesday and was in full swing by Thursday (1st official day of AVN). Lots of "eye candy" and lots of weird little dudes with cameras... by Thursday night the place was insane. I can only imagine what Friday and Saturday were like. I wasn't there for this expo and haven't been to one before, so I can't compare, but the lines did look long and the property seemed a bit overwhelmed. I read a couple comments on some other boards from people who'd been before and they didn't seem happy, questioning as you did whether or not the property is big enough for it.

3. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was there last Friday and it took a freakin hour and a half to eat lunch at Pink Taco. Not to get a table. It took an hour and a half to get our food AFTER we got our table :grrr:

4. MrSandsman

MrSandsman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wasn't too impressed with the AVN convention this year. The Joint remains a terrible venue for the show. Although I must admit that despite huge lines out the front trying to get in, the actual numbers inside the Joint seemed way down this year from last year - but the venue was still a nightmare to negotiate. Many more of the performers were charging for photos and autographs - some of the major studios had threatened to do this but in the end didn't charge a fee. A few t-shirt and DVD giveaways - but nowhere near as many as in the past. Lots of complaints about the advertised "VIP ticket holder cocktail party" which was simply a beer pong tournament with free beers for the participants.

The bar scene at HRH was also hit and miss. A few industry people around Wednesday night, Thursday night was the big one with numbers around the two circle bars so huge they actually met in the middle walkway, but there were too many offsite parties on the Friday and Saturday for there to be any action at the HRH.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.