1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I'm Monitoring Spirit Airlines

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Jimbucc, Jul 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay, so I have heard all the horror stories about Spirit Airlines and all the extra fees etc. I have educated myself on what to expect from luggage size and weight to personal size carry on and don't get on the plane hungry etc. I decided to make the plunge for my upcoming August trip. My wife and I are flying out of Cleveland non stop both ways. $322.36 for both of us round trip which includes $12 seat assignment ($48 total) and $21 for luggage ($42 total). We only need one suitcase for the two of us. Light clothing for the summer. That comes to $161.18 per person out the door non stop round trip flights.

I booked the flights June 11 and have been monitoring my flight to Vegas which is flight 1069. The flight leaves at 7:45 P.M. So far it has been on time or early 90% of the time. It has been 15 minutes to a half hour late a few times. Twice it has been 2 hours late and once the flight was cancelled. I can handle late but not cancelled. Unfortunately this is how Spirit rolls. I still like the price and will take my chances. Wife and I are retired so it wouldn't be the end of the world if the flight was cancelled.

We are prepared for whatever happens. I think you need the right mental attitude to fly Spirit. If you absolutely positively need to get somewhere, then look elsewhere.

2. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The risk of a canceled flight is what makes me never use them.

3. cphllps

cphllps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Coming home from FL last year our flight was delayed for over 2 hours as they had to wait for a replacement flight attendant to show up in Chicago. They are horrible for delays. I guess if you are willing to take the crap shoot, more power to you. I have renamed them Sir Pit for good reason.

4. B S

B S MIA

Good luck. Cannot wait to hear what happens.

5. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep us posted - interested to hear your experience.

6. runningonthehub

runningonthehub Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same here. I would not risk flying Spirit or Allegiant.
    I would not fly Spirit if they gave me a free ticket, just because of their history of cancelling flights and leaving people stranded.. There are times when peace of mind is worth more than a cheap airfare.
    But, to each his own.
    Fortunately, I live near Midway airport, so Spirit would never be a consideration for me.

7. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some people gotta learn the hardway.....

8. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown Spirit a few times when the price was too good to pass up. I always book their 1st flight of the day in case of cancellation. It has never been cancelled, though it has been late. I avoid flying them mostly because the seats are crammed so tightly together, it is uncomfortable for me at 5'5". I'd never fly Spirit if traveling with my husband; way too tight.

9. FLHfan

FLHfan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's only twenty bucks pp more to fly Southwest out of Cleveland. For the cost of a couple hands of blackjack I will take a comfortable trip and not have to worry about getting home.

10. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gosh... I wish you folks the best! I'm the first one to disregard a couple negative reviews or comments on something, but I don't think I've ever heard a good thing about Spirit. I hope they come through for you.

11. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever "The Welfare Queen of Windsor"

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly Spirit twice a year, round trip Detroit to Vegas.
    I am guessing I have done at a minimum, forty flights with them.
    The longest delay I ever experienced was around a half hour.

I just booked them again for an October/November 2015 trip.
    Round trip is $253 U.S. and about $330 Canadian.
    I bought on a sale.
    That includes a checked bag each way.
    Also I bought an exit row seat there and a Big Front Seat home.

I have yet to have any nightmarish type issue with them.

12. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone here not paid for assigned seating and been seated a distance away from their companion?

Wouldn't they seat you together anyway?

13. Sethto80

Sethto80 Tourist

We have never paid for assigned seating, always get seated next to each other. Flown with them multiple times and only had one half hour delay. In fact I'm using them in a couple days to go back to MN to visit family. Hard to pass up $100 round trip, I use a back pack for luggage and stuff it under the seat.

14. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a Vegas trip. The gamble will begin before we get on the plane. If we get on. :thumbsup:

15. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    www.seatguru.com shows the seat width at 17.75 for Spirit. Southwest is only 17 and Frontier comes in big at 18. I believe I read somewhere that Frontier is changing their seats so that means they will probably be cramped also. :wave:

16. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with you 100 percent but Southwest was $175 one way for quite a while. They have finally come down to around $103 to $111 one way. I am flying down with Southwest in November. They had no deals when I booked my August trip.

17. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's encouraging. Most people only talk about the bad stuff. Hope we have no "nightmarish" issues either. Thanks for the good news Blonde 4 ever.

18. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps High-Roller

I've never looked into spirit, but I'm curious, you say "cancelled flights", are you talking about flights that get cancelled for weather, or does spirit just have issues and has to cancel flights out of the blue for personnel or mechanical issues or whatever?

19. gilly from philly

gilly from philly Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Look at the seat pitch. Southwest has up to 5 inches more between rows. That is a lot of leg room, and goes a long way to make one feel less cramped.

20. Candy Apple

Candy Apple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I live in Cleveland. Not only is Southwest more expensive than both Spirit and Frontier, if you're lucky, Southwest will only have one non-stop per day going to or from Vegas and often at inconvenient times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.