1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I'm going camping - my first time!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by weluvvegas, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weluvvegas

weluvvegas Vegas Slot Junkie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok so I love love love Mumford and Sons and they are making one of their stopover shows during their "Gentlemen of the Road" tour this year about 3 hours from here in OK. It's a weekend music festival and there will be other bands there as well. It is a Friday evening through Saturday night. I'm going with my 18 year old niece and the catch is that we bough camping passes. We will be camping at the campgrounds the whole time.

I've never gone camping in my whole life and I'm more of a upscale hotel gal....although for the chance to see M&S, I would camp in the Mojave desert in the middle of summer. Apparently during these GOTR tours, they involve the whole city in which they are playing and its 24+ plus of music, food and fun.

Have any of you ever done any of these weekend-long music festivals? How was it? I want to bring my guitar but it was pretty expensive and I'm afraid it might get stolen. The thought of carrying it on my back everywhere I go that weekend seems daunting. I don't know much about this kind of thing. Should be an experience!

40th Birthday Bash!
  2. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have camped a lot over the years...our biggest camping trip entailed camping through Ontario and 17 states while travelling 6,500 miles in 30 day back in '06...... with that said I did a LOT of planning before hand. And we did camp in the desert at times....also above 10,000 feet in Cripple Creek, Co

Now you haven't said what kind of shelter you will be camping in......tent, pop-up trailer, hard shell trailer or a motor home...of course there is always the option of sleeping under the stars too...not recommended but it possible.

Also where are you going to set up camp.......there are commercial camp site like KOA which are really more like camping on top of each other in a Walmart parking lot.

Then there State and Federal parks/lands that maintain camp sites....these are more like camping to someone who really enjoys camping.

Also depending on what area of the country you're in, you can just set up camp in the middle of nowhere...but then you are completely on your own if and when a situation comes up...meaning a injury or sickness or even a broken down vehicle that got you out there.

So with these questions answered by you....myself or many others here can help.

3. dfalk

dfalk VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never been camping?!? You're going to love it, I've been camping probably 250+ times since the age of 6 or 7.

I've never been to one of those weekend festivals but I have friends who always go to the Gorge for the festivals and they all say it's the best time of their life.

4. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have camped thousands of times. Was a survival instructor in the Navy so I spent 4 or 5 days every week outside.

Dont overthink it. Sleeping outside is a natural thing. Overplanning and taking tons of stuff just weighs you down. It will never be as comfy as a hotel room so dont try to make it in to one. enjoy it for what it is.

5. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "We will be camping at the campgrounds the whole time."

You didn't say what you'll be camping in. Unless you have your own trailer, expect it will be very basic. You'll be sharing the facilities with everyone. I'd suggest not bringing anything of value unless you have a way to keep it under lock and key. Likely not worth the effort. You are camping and there to enjoy the show. Pack light and enjoy.

6. weluvvegas

weluvvegas Vegas Slot Junkie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah sorry bout that I didn't even think about it. It is in Guthrie, OK and the info about the festival said that the camping is at the campground. We got camping passes with our tickets. We are bringing a big tent. I have no idea how it all works...if we park our car somewhere and then walk to the camping area, or if you can park right there..or where all of the stages and activities will be relative to where our tent will be.

I have a blog so I'd like to be able to take a lot of pictures and maybe some video as well. Do those campsites usually have electricity access? If not, could someone recommend a good (and fairly in expensive) portable charging device for my ipad and our iphones? Does something like that even exist? LOL sorry, I'm a camping virgin!

40th Birthday Bash!
  7. S'AllGoodMan

S'AllGoodMan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You will want to keep your electronics and all valuables with you. If you leave them at your tent site there is a good chance they wont be there when you get back. Charge your stuff in your car.

Bring a sleeping pad and bag. The pad will keep you off the ground. Have a great time.

8. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two women alone?

Wouldnt be my wife and daughter unless they were meeting up with a group of others including guys.

9. Julie888

Julie888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Highly recommend that you contact the organizers to get details of what is provided and ask the your questions directly.

Many music festivals have separate camping areas for family vs party folks. If they have this, take the family section. Sound still carries.

Suggest you practice setting up your tent if you've never done this. They're pretty easy now but you don't want to be surprised.

Plan on keeping anything of value on you.

10. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Probably once you tell them you are using a tent, you probably will not get anything at the site other then the ground itself. They like to reserve electric/water/sewer sites for trailers of all kinds.....now this isn't a hard rule....many camping parks will give a site with electric for a extra charge....and it's not much more.

I reread you OP and I see it's just really for one night....so keep it light as someone already mentioned...however, do you plan on eating at your camp site...if so a portable BBQ of either propane or a very small charcoal grill will be needed....UNLESS you pack your cooler with lunch meat and just make sandwiches....

Good Luck.......enjoy the concert and you'll love a day of camping.

11. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    GET A GOOD BACKPACK!

I'm not saying to need one that towers over your head. However, you can find a good one with plenty of pockets and roomy enough to store lots of stuff.

Get one with a waist belt. It takes the strain off your back.

I go to the Shenendoah often and camp at cabins with no power and no water. The hike in can be miles and we hike for about 10 or so after setting up at the cabin so packing well is a must.

Solar or crank chargers are fantastic.
    Bring plenty of batteries.
    Dry ice in a cooler goes a long way.
    First aid kit
    OFF! or equivalent

12. split10's?

split10's? Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    get two full size 6" thick inflatable mattresses, and a hand pump. Top them off right before you go to bed and it won't get softer as the night cools off. Have a cooler for beverages but don't go overboard cooking, just eat what they're selling. Find a beater $25 guitar on Craigslist. Take particular care of your feet, you'll be on them a lot.

13. sammowhammo

sammowhammo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bring toilet paper, it always runs out at these sorts of events - camping or not..

My husband took me camping once. That's all I have to say about that.

14. Busyman

Busyman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ....and wipes!!

We used those in lieu of proper washing. Lol

[​IMG]

15. Backagain1

Backagain1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Proper shoes and coconut oil.

Coconut oil works as chapstick, hand cream, great for rashes, cuts.. google it. I call in the miracle cream.

16. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas certified personal trainer/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow - you must REALLY love Mumford and Sons! Do your research and prepare for the camping. (Are there venomous snakes in that area? Is a snakebite kit a good idea? Etc.) Then you can relax and enjoy the music!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.