1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I want to move from my condo to another city

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by LucyR., Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I own my own condo and want to sell it and move to the Palm Spring, Calif. area or to Santa Barbara. I am thinking of renting first and then buy a small house with a yard because I want to have pets some day.

I prefer to just rent a small house but I heard that landlords keep raising the rents often. I don't know if it is best to just buy the house instead of renting. I am thinking of buying a house in a senior community in Palm Springs. OR.... just rent a small apt in beautiful Santa Barbara.

I need advise on should I rent or just buy a house. My condo will sell real fast at a great profit.

2. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buy a house in a Senior Community. New friends, social activities, support, and security is all there.

Going to Hawaii's 9th Island!!
    Going to Hawaii's 9th island!!
  3. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

I would talk to your family and financial advisor as to the best use of your investment dollars given your specific age/circumstances/expectations/health/etc. Everyone here will have an opinion but circumstances are unique. Same goes with an age-restricted community. (Ironically I literally just hit the age of eligibility for many such projects and the last thing on my mind is being in other than a mixed community. Different strokes.) Condo = more fees = someone taking care of much of the maintenance. Single family = more personal responsibility but more freedom.

Santa Barbara is muy expensive. A wonderful town with fantastic weather -- best in CA I think -- but spendy. If you like the desert you'll have so many more options down there than in SB, as well. How do you like multiple months north of 100 degrees, however?

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, you will get lots of opinions, with very little based on YOUR situation - money, likes, dislikes, type of living, etc.

5. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Electro guy and Ken. You both have great ideas. My freedom and lifestyle is very important to me. So a part of me wants Santa Barbara to just rent a small apt. and have freedom and fun. Then when I get real old and real sickly move to a senior community.

My financial planner died young. So my cousin says I should just rent and have fun. My one adult son says I should move to Palm Springs now since it is still affordable and I can have fun with the other seniors. My family doesn't care where I move to. I am free to move anywhere since we have cell phones and facebook to stay in touch.

I plan to keep searching for where is the best place for me. Does anybody have any high intuition abilities. I still can't decide.

6. ken2v

I suspect you know the questions you need to be asking, and of whom -- in other words, not here when it comes to the financial side of this -- given your place and situation in life. Now the aesthetics and living quality of each locale ... maybe we can help. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  7. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi guys, I just needed a sounding board. I checked out rentals in different cities and also checked out the problems they were having. I just wanted to rent but the rents are just too high and a waste of money. My condo mortgage is cheaper than renting a rental where the rent can go up all of a sudden... I decided to just stay where I am at and just have fun traveling to the cities I like. I feel I will have to wait until a future opportunity opens up for me to buy a small house instead of rent. I like having the freedom of doing what I want in my own house. I just need to wait for now and keep my goal of moving to an affordable city. I plan to be ready to move the minute I see a real deal. Lucy

8. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thats a big decision for sure ,we made it years ago and are relativly happy with the choice to be in an upscale senior community. A couple of tips I learned
    Some people buy too big of a retirement place with a bedroom loft thinking kids are going to visit often .
    Retirement communities are great esp. if you are alone and have a problem,illness etc. Lots of neighbors available to help ,at least here thats true.

9. smerrian

smerrian Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ken2V is right. This is a dilemma that you should be talking over with your family, not strangers that have no concept of your financial position and personal likes/needs. You know the positives and negatives of renting vs. owning and the different cities; you just have to make up your mind. My father always told me never to regret a decision I make..."You made the best decision at the time with the data available to you." Never say, "I should of..." because you learned new data points.

10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always wanted to live in Santa Monica so I could fish off of the pier.

11. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:

Renting is not always a waste. There are often situations where it makes great financial sense.

As to raising your rent- sure then can. And, the value of your own property can go down. Things can happen.

12. ken2v

True that. There comes a point in life when you don't want to lock away $$$$ long term.

As to your immediate decision Lucy, you live right about half way between two places you seem to enjoy, so you can enjoy both when you want as a temporary "resident." There's nothing wrong with that type of plan.

13. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi Everybody! I had lunch with my adult son today and I told him I plan to start renting vacation rentals in Santa Barbara and in Palm Springs. I think that will help me to be able for me to make up my mind. I plan to visit Santa Barbara in Feb. and in April. In March I plan to spend some time in a vacation rental in Palm Springs so I can find out if I like it better than Santa Barbara.
    I don't need to rent a large vacation place because I know for a fact that nobody will be visiting me. When I get older I will buy me a small house in a Senior community.

Thank you all for your advise. Lucy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.