1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I saw a low fare...should've book it!

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by matti, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matti

matti Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm trying to schedule a somewhat last-minute flight to Vegas for late next week. I've been keeping an eye on flights from Minneapolis and rates have been a bit higher than I'd like (even with a $100 credit). I jumped on the computer this morning and saw a roundtrip that was only $271 ($171 with my credit). As soon as my boss got in the office, I asked him if it was okay that I leave work in time to catch the flight. He say "book it dano." Well, I went back about 20 minutes later and the rates went back up. lol.

I don't NEED to go to Vegas considering I was just there in January. However, I'll keep my eye out for that elusive fare. I know the rule is that if you see a low fare, you should book it. Unfortunately, I had to get my boss' permission.

Wish me luck!

2. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think all airlines are required to give you at least 24 hours to change your mind for a full refund. so it's always smarter to book the flight and ask questions later.

3. JNCVH

JNCVH Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With some airlines you can put a hold on a flight to book in a route and price. I can do it with Delta or United with no charge but they may charge others based on status. But, it is well worth it to book those low fares as they constantly change!

4. hendo70

hendo70 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

I'm actually making a move up to the Minneapolis area very soon. What fare do you typically get for a MSP - LAS flight? Is there a particular airline you go with? I typically hit Vegas 1-2 times a year, and that will likely continue even after my move.

Any information you have would be appreciated.

Thanks

5. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    wow, what airline was this? i've been looking for weeks for Southwest to have some sort of fare drop so I don't have to fly back on the 21st @ 6:30am

6. WHITEJACKET73

WHITEJACKET73 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly out of MSP several times a year. For Vegas flights I primarily use Delta and Sun Country. Their fares usually match or are within a few dollars from each other. When I start planning a trip I usually start watching Travelocity website every day-punching in my preferred dates and using their + or - 3 day window. The site will give you fares 3 days before or after your selected dates. Typically fares from these two airlines will run you from $265 to $380, with the average being around $340-360. Two years ago I was able to grab a RT fare from Sun Country for $219. A couple of weeks ago I started looking for fares for my June trip. Both Delta and S.C. posted fares for $291, then a couple of days later they were at $340. Last week Sun Country posted a RT rate of $271 which fit perfectly into my vacation time table...booked it.

Don't overlook Spirit Airlines..they have cheap fares for usually $217 to 237 RT. The downside is that they fly out of MSP at 9:30 PM and then leave LAS at 12:15 AM (redeye) in order to get the low fares (non-stop). They are a no frills outfit, charging you for carry-on or checked bags. I flew with them in February for a base fare of $147, paid $25 each way for my checked bag and paid $10 each way for a selected seat...total $217..which saved me about $120 from the other airline offered rates. The other thing about Spirit is the seats are uncomfortable and there is not much leg room. If you are over 5' 10" your knees will be touching the back of the seat in front of you.

I like using Sun Country when I can...they fly out of the Humphrey terminal which is much smaller than the Lindbergh terminal., so the place is easier to navigate and the TSA lines are much shorter. Also, I try and get there early for my flight and ask for a 1st class upgrade for $118 one way. They waive the checked baggage fee, get to use the 1st class line to get thru security(no waiting in line) get to board and de-plane first, bathroom for 1st class passengers only, have a beverage before we pull out from the terminal, have a nice on-board meal and consume several gin and tonics during the flight(FREE). To me, it's well worth it...nothing like flying to Vegas 1st class.:nworthy:

Winter break
  7. matti

matti Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, it was Delta Airlines. Still looking!

I was unaware that they gave you 24 hours to cancel without penalty. I'm happy to know that! Thank you.

8. matti

matti Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I went ahead and booked. $336 for the flight (not great, not horrible). I had two nights comped at the Quad, so the flight and hotel for my four-night stay will be about $490 (including taxes and resort fees). Not too bad. I'm really looking forward to it!

9. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got to play this game this morning as well.

Attempting to get from St. Louis on a Wed. and back on a Tue. as cheap as possible. Unfortunately only direct flights to Vegas are Southwest and were currently $380/ea for my dates, so that was out. But Delta is having a "sale" through today, so flights were as cheap as $232/ea round trip, but these prices were limited times and threatening "only 2 seats available!", everything else was over $280. While trying to book, my ideal return flight (minimal layover; don't leave Vegas before noon) jumped $50/ea and I began to book an earlier return, because leaving Vegas 3 hours earlier is worth $100 to me and my g/f at least. But my browser was having issues filling in the TSA info, so I decided to gamble on reloading the browser and starting all over. The return I originally wanted returned to $232! Pretty good price, for these weekdays prices with a layover float around $280-$300, and never go below $210. I think the highest flight price I paid was our first trip in late 2011 because I was a newb...lol

So going back to Vegas next month! :beer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.