1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

I Need A Good Work Boot......?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I've been wearing Timberland "pro series"
    the past couple years.
    $110 at Sears -
    However, the soles have been terrible.
    One pair the sole split very quickly.
    The next pair also split but not as quickly --
    so there is a defect going on.....
    I know....made in China !
    The upper part is very strong + never wears out.

and I read Timberland was bought out by......?
    I can't remember who ?
    I need a real work boot not a fashion statement -
    What's been good for you ?

2. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband has a very hard time finding good work boots, because his feet are narrow/medium and most work boots are too wide for him. He'll try most anything for a while - we tend to buy a lot of items at Sierra Trading Post online. Hubby splits boots - some steel toe, others not. Sometimes he wears shoes instead of boots - has some steel toed shoes, some not. He owns his own companies and it just depends on the weather and what he thinks he'll be doing that day.

Brands he likes are Merrell, Timberland, Doc Marten, and Teva. I'll do an inventory when I get home and see what I'm forgetting. I know he just got a pair clearance from Sierra - $60 for Vasque leather hikers, goretex & thinsulate. He's thrilled for the new winter workboots. Obviously, his purchases are more broad than the standard "workboot" - so if you need steel toe and acid protection and whatever else.....

I will note that Vibram produce the best soles I've ever had - I have boots that are more than 15 years old with vibram soles as good as new.....Lots of brands use these soles.

If your boots are fine, and it's just the soles - you might be able to have the soles re-done at a good cobbler.

3. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe,have you tried taking them back to Sears?

They used to be very good about exchanges and refunds years ago,you never know,you could get lucky especially if you have a receipt.
    I still recommend you buy boots that give you good support or at least if you buy cheap ones ,put insoles in them so that you dont end up with heel spurs and flat feet in your old age like me.

4. wigwam_salesman

wigwam_salesman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vibram soles have saved me from sliding on my ass down several hillsides when I used to do a lot of hiking. Ultimately I found it a bit dull and turned to mountain biking, although that's on pause after I whammed it over a particularly aggressive rock and bent pretty much everything attached to my bike.

5. kitson

kitson VIP Whale

the loggers in our area wear whites. i have had very good experience with red wings, though the specialty red wing store in our area closed. i still have a pair of red wings that are at least 25 years old that are wearable when i need them, was glad to get them as part of a sales incentive in an old career as a feed store owner.

they are both pretty expensive compared to the work/fashion/ walmart/discount internet brands, but if you work on your feet all day, probably better to think of them as an investment in your health after the physical work career is over.

6. bigmoneyvic

bigmoneyvic Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    for traction purposes our company has found "shoes for crews" to be one of the best.

7. Username

Username VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Red Wing Work Boots are the best money can buy......."Some" models are still made in the U.S.A.

Take a look here at model #218 with Vibram Soles.....but be prepared to spend some money...these are NOT discount junk that can be had at Walmart for $50...
    http://www.redwingsafety.com/safety-boots/page-1/maxnum-0

8. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My poor husband - would spend $$ if he could find what he wanted. Red Wings don't fit. Not sure if he's tried Whites but I'm noting that and searching for it - thanks:thumbsup:

9. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

There was a Red Wing store near where I used to live -
    i'm not sure if it's still there.
    I never bought them cos I didn't want to
    spend that kinda money --
    I forget the price ?...but it was very high.
    I might take another look,now.
    "loggers wear whites".........?
    You'll have to explain that --
    Yeh,
    I never kept the receipts --
    but I will this time !
    HoyaHeel -
    I have gone back + forth on the steel toe thing, as well.
    the last pair was not steel toe --
    they were a bit lighter - which i liked.

10. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whites is a brand of boots:peace: They make specialty boots for loggers, firejumpers, ranchers etc.

11. The Equalizer

The Equalizer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do powerline work and will say whites boot will last years but are expensive my last pair of whites were over $600. Some of the danner boots are solid as well I have been wearing the danner fireline boot for the last 2 years they are about due to be replaced now though. I have also used wesco boots and a few others whites hold up the best but you pay for them

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

My work shoes have removable plastic cleats, except for when I'm wearing slippahs. Sorry I can't help. :wink2:

13. HoyaHeel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Still not finding any of those brands in a narrow:grrr:

14. The Equalizer

The Equalizer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know with whites boots you can have them custom fit you just need to find a dealer near you and have them do measurements. When you do get custom built boots the wait to get them is several months though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.