1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker I gave away a royal flush......still kicking myself!

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by ref59405, Jul 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ref59405

ref59405 Creepy Vegas Friend

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wednesday, July 16, 2014, around 10pm at the Sports Book bar inside Aria. My wife and I were playing Double Double bonus poker, 25 cents per credit, maximum bet of 5.

About 30 minutes before this I was dealt four 2's and then failed to get the kicker, but still a pretty nice hit. I was feeling great and having a wonderful time, This was the last night of our trip, and what a nice way to go out!

Then I was dealt the Jack and Ten of Diamonds. I would normally keep both of these and go for the royal, but that has never worked for me, as I have never gotten a royal flush. So this time I decided to keep only the Jack and improve my chances for a pair of jacks or better.
    I hit draw, and here comes the Ace, King and Queen of Diamonds, along with another card. I can only assume that if I would have kept the ten of diamonds that I still would have received the Ace, King and Queen as they were the first 3 cards to come out.

That would have been a $1,000 win, and since we are such low rollers, that would have paid for most of our trip.

You know that anticipation you get before you hit draw when you have the potential for a big hit? I sometimes don't hit draw for a few seconds so I can enjoy the possibility of getting a big win. Well, after you do what I did, the rotten feelings don't go away. It has been two days now and I don't feel any better. A split second decision cost me $1,000. :thumbsdown:

You can be sure that I will never do that again!

2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well first, I would always keep the J & 10, but the cards are randomly being shuffled while you wait to hit the Draw button. Don't beat yourself up too bad. A second earlier or later and something else would have popped up. The cards are no longer dealt 5 up 5 down. The RNG is always running.

3. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The RNG is GOD!!!:nworthy:

4. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    how did you come to this conclusion?

you trust a computer program must more than I do (and I write them for a living!)

5. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Keep the J and T next time.

6. boxofbirds

boxofbirds Royally Flushed

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ouch! Sorry, man... That'll teach you to stick with strategy!

But like Joe said, take solace that most likely if you had held the J-T you probably would have hit the button a split second later and who knows what would have come up! Either way, sticking with perfect strategy will always give you the best chance for a win. Good luck next time!

7. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This. There is a 16,214/16,215 = 99.9938% chance OP would still have been royaless holding JT suited anyway. But you should hold JT suited because of better straight and flush chances.

8. dutchvelvet

dutchvelvet VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had the same thing where I kept a pair of Queens over three to a royal and the next two cards would have filled the royal. Don't beat yourself up.

9. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not that bad. I thought you were dealt a royal and screwed up holding the cards. It's gambling; you win some, you lose some. It's always what could have been...

10. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Years ago I was dealt 4 to the royal and another card of the same suit, I kept the flush. Only later did I realize how stupid that was.

11. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done the same thing...and I played the hand CORRECTLY...just is what it is.
    FWIW: I thought you meant you HIT a Royal, then kept playing and lost it all back...which I have done before! (Albeit only 5c and 10c Royals, 25c+ Royals I always just CASH OUT)

12. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is, to me, akin to when I normally make a bet in craps and forget to do it and it hits.

I don't really play VP and don't know optimal play. The only time I play it is to sit down at a bar and chill and have some drinks. I do play the DDB version and I always shoot for 4oak and royals since I am just running a hundred or two through. Reading about VP and seeing pics from this board are the reasons I thought I'd take a shot at it.

13. ref59405

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can see that my title was unclear, sorry about that. I appreciate those who said it might not have mattered what I kept or discarded, it was still a random chance on what I would on the draw. However, I have a hard time believing that I wouldn't have gotten a royal flush when I had 2 of the cards and then got the other 3 on the draw.
    Oh well, I still had a great trip and I am already looking forward to going back.

14. zignerlv

zignerlv VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The point is the random number generator is cycling thousands of times a second, so that the difference in time spent pressing the buttons to hold two cards vs one, even a fraction of a second difference, will mean different cards would be drawn when you hit deal. With that being said, holding a J vs a JTs WILL cost you royals and money in the long run, its just that you won't always be able to know when. The difference in return holding a JTs vs J is about 8% more over the long term for that hand.

As far as the other poster saying that the advantage of JTs over J is not just the extra payout for the royal, but the extra straights and flushes, that is not true. In fact. if is weren't for the royal, holding J would be slightly better than JTs. The extra return from getting more straights and flushes from holding JTs is entirely offset by the fewer chances of getting a high pair, 3K, 4K, and Full houses.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  15. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, you're right, if the royal shortpays, JTs is generally not good enough to hold. I was mostly looking for an explanation on why to hold JTs vs. J, and that does include increased straights/flushes. But you're right all that is cancelled out by less high pairs, 3K, FHs, quads.

16. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well this thread has cleared up one misunderstand I had. I had believed that the ten cards were dealt (with 5 showing) and that order could not be changed except for the number drawn or until another hand was drawn.

17. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The very first wave of VP machines did this, but likely they are all in the junk heap by now.

18. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    thanks to everyone here for posting how the machines work now. I thought the 5 cards were already fixed and waiting you to decide which one you wanted. Hearing that the RNG is still "shuffling" away does help situations like this. So, the OP did NOT give away a Royal at all. Possible, but surely not probable.

19. ref59405

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My thanks to all who responded to this thread. I am glad to know that I did not, without a doubt, give away a royal flush. Now that I have been home for 5 days, and after reading the responses to my boneheaded move, I now have more of an "wouldn't it have been nice?" recollection of that night instead of the dread and self loathing that came along with thinking I screwed up and cost myself $1,000.00

20. imwired

imwired High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that's what I thought too.....now that would have been bad
    my first Royal I had one coin in....I don't do that anymore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.