1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Husband Big Winner at On the River Tourny

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by queentata, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. queentata

queentata High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

This was the eighth trip to Vegas for me and my husband. We only discovered Vegas four years ago, and are trying to make up for lost time. This trip, we were there for the On the River poker tournament at Harrah's. Comped four nights at Paris, which is my favorite hotel. Meals and other night comped at check-out...sweet.

Tried the $20.00 trick and got a P room with awesome views of the stip, both ways, and the fountains. Room was beautiful and big. Small tub the only bad thing for me.

First night there, we got in around 7:30 in the evening, and finally pooped out around 5:30 a.m. after lots of three card poker. Broke even. I'll take it.

Had breakfast next day at Paris buffet, where there was almost no line at all. It was okay, but after hearing the raves, I was really disappointed. Oh well, mark another thing done on my list.

My husband made it to day two at the poker tournament and was psyched for the final day. There were 1060 participants. He mostly plays on line and this was by far his biggest tournament.

The big day, I played video poker at Harrah's, and he finally called to say I might want to come up, because he had made the final table!! I was so excited for him. Long story short.....He Won!! The whole shebang!! $15,500!! I was more excited than he was I think! He also got a leather jacket for making the final table and a really cool chip set.

We went to Hugo's in the Four Queens to celebrate. Been there before and still love it. Great food and even greater service.

Got killed by a three card poker dealer named JC. He was so funny, though, it didn't hurt quite so bad.

On the day before we left, we went to see David Copperfield who I have loved forever. I actually got to be in the last trick. One of the most awesome experiences of my life. I got so emotional I cried for about 30 minutes. Don't ask. I am a wimp.

I must say this was the best trip of all and we hope to top it in March! Man do I love Vegas!!

2. atcmurph

atcmurph Watcher Of The Skies

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well that's just fantastic! Congrats to your husband! What a memorable trip :thumbsup:

3. Jimbucc

Jimbucc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, it may be hard to top that trip. The bar is set pretty high. Nice to hear you had such a good trip.

4. DonD

DonD Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What a great trip for the both of you, congratulations!:nworthy:

5. doctor_al

doctor_al VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Outstanding tourney win. Set the tone for a nice trip from the sounds of it.

6. AimeeBolt

AimeeBolt Wing Queen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    how fun! Congrats to your hubby on his poker skills and to you for being a part of it!

7. Coaster Kikky

Coaster Kikky Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very nice!! Although it is sad to read review after review of the Paris buffet saying how much they've slipped.

8. Reston

Reston VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome trip, queentata. I was the star of Mac King's magic show at Harrah's one year, but somehow I don't think that quite compares to your Copperfield experience. :)

Re: the Paris buffet, I've always preferred the cafe there for breakfast anyway, so some of you buffet lovers might want to give that a try sometime. (I know, I know, "but it's not a buffet....").

9. sunni

sunni VIP Whale

10. keno

keno obsessed with countdown timers

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that's awesome and a good payday! That's quite the trip!!!

11. queentata

queentata High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the nice remarks. It was a thrill to watch the final table. Harrah's did a great job, announcing all the players with a little bio. They filmed it for the big screen and it was great, but extremely nerve-wracking. When it was down to two players, the other guy had about six times more chips as my husband, and he and his crowd had the attitude that they were gonna take my husband down quickly. That made it extra sweet. Also, three guys who had played but not made it to day two sat with me and we had our little mini cheering section. Fun!

I agree with the cafe for breakfast. Very crowded, but the line moves fast. We had a breakfast croissant and the best waffle ever, topped with a sinful mound of real whipped cream and fresh berries. I can taste it now.

Maybe the best part is that we can go back earlier than planned. March 14 to 20. Five of the six rooms are comped. We are just looking for good air fare. I know lots of folks are down on Harrah's, but we have been treated great there, and have gotten what I think is very generous comps. We are NOT high rollers at all, but they make us feel like we are!

12. StickyFingers007

StickyFingers007 Namer of T2V Gatherings

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow! What a great trip! High five on the win to hubby! :thumbsup:

13. gmoney590

gmoney590 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, you had an excellent trip; and, with your hubby's winning can definetly afford to go back sooner that you thought. I agree with you about Harrahs comps they've treated us well this past year also.

Back where we belong
  14. angel81chick

angel81chick Abuelita

Trips to Las Vegas:
    what an awesome way to start the new year! congrats to your hubby on the big win! :D

Glad to hear that Harrah's is treating some of our people great too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.