1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

HUGE thank you to VMBer Outsider!!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Jul 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are some wonderful people in this group and here is an example of one of them. I met Outsider at MSS back in March. When he saw we were coming to Seattle, he offered to give my wife and I a tour of places most tourists don't see.

He picked us up Sunday at our downtown hotel at 10 AM and off we went. Our first stop was the Ballard Locks, which allows the boats to move from the sea level of the ocean to the higher fresh water of Lake Union & Lake Washington and vice versa. Works just like the Panama Canal Locks and is over 100 years old.

The salmon weren't quite running yet. I guess we were about a week early, but they built a salmon ladder to allow the salmon to migrate between the ocean and the lakes. According to Outsider, once it starts, it's amazing to see.

The highlight of the day for me was a very personalized tour of a very large manufacturing plant in Seattle, where we were actually allowed on the plant floor. We also visited the Fremont area, which had a huge sidewalk type sale going on. Fremont is the kind of Bohemian area of Seattle. Artists, free spirits etc. We also made it to Chinatown and several other areas and sites.

We went places all day long and he wouldn't even let me buy the gas! We had our own tour director.:thumbsup:

The point of the post is a public thank you to Outsider, a great VMB member.:thumbsup: He gave up his Sunday day off to chauffeur us around the city. He dropped us back at our downtown Seattle hotel at 7 PM.

Just a funny. At the time I didn't know where he lived, I assumed Seattle. He took us to the 13 Coins restaurant near Seatac airport, just to see the place because it is a fixture in Seattle and we had one beer. Anyway, we get back to the car and he says his house isn't far, so lets go there to meet his wife and have a beer. We are driving and driving away from Seattle downtown and my wife and I look at each like where the hell are we going? After quite a drive, I see we just entered Tacoma!

Milwaukee isn't that big and I since I'm retired, I don't drive that much. I can't believe what commuters think is a short drive. All was good and he then drove us to downtown Tacoma to see the Museum of Glass and a nice old bar on/near the campus of UW.

Now he has to drive us all the way back to downtown Seattle and he acted like it was just a "short drive".

Big thank you to Outsider for making this a memorable vacation.:thumbsup:

PS, it may have sounded like more, but the entire day consisted of 4 drinks each.

EDIT: Just one thing I wanted to add. My wife and I were wandering by ourselves on Pike Street near the market, but not in it yet. She ducked into a T shirt store and I said I would wait on the corner. In 5 minutes, I was hit up by 7 different bums/panhandlers what ever you want to call them. I've never had that happen on Fremont St. If you think Fremont is bad, spend some time near Pike Place Market. We enjoyed Seattle but I think this trend has more to do with the economy than anything else.

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  2. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm guessing you were waiting on the corner of 1st & Pine or Pike. I get hit up there by drug dealers all the time. Now I hide inside Three Dog Bakery when I have to wait for Dan.

That is really wonderful of him to do that. I feel bad that I didn't think of it. :( But sounds like you hit up the hot spots and had a great time. Yeah, you get used to the drives. I live further out than he does and when I think about just "running to Seattle" or "quick run to Tacoma" I'm talking about an hour - 90 minutes. Hell, the grocery store is 3 miles from my house and THAT feels too far sometimes. :)

3. travelfiend

travelfiend High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Class on his part to show you the sights and class on your part to post a public thanks like this. Lots of fun things to do in the Seattle area.

My commute was from Bremerton to Seattle (office was on Lake Union) Usually, I would take the ferry so it went like this, 20 minute walk to ferry, 55 minute ferry ride, 10 minute walk to catch a bus, 15 minute bus ride to office. Luckily, I only had to do this commute 3-4 times a month as my work kept me on the road most of the time.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Seattle to Tacoma is not a drive, Joe. :poke: It's the American West, where we'll drive 90 miles for dinner. Hell, I drove to Tahoe last Monday for a Tuesday tournament and drove home right after my round. We're talking 7:30 each way. :beer:

You've told a great tale. That is exactly what I like best about this place, the giving and the collegiality. SO many extraordinary souls here. (And the requisite handful of wingnuts.) Good on all of you!!

5. ardee

ardee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great story, Joe.

It's always a nice feeling to find out there are still good people willing to make an effort and be friendly.
    Lots of good people on this board and you showed a fine example. Thanks.

And to ken2v, you sound just like the hub.
    I'm originally from the east coast but he thinks nothing of a "90 minute drive to dinner".
    Especially if it's to meet up with friends.

6. jimboguy

jimboguy Blubbery Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love this story!

7. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a nice city. Besides the things I mentioned, my wife and I got to Bite of Seattle which was way too crowded for us and we also got to the Woodland Zoo. We discovered the Yard House in downtown which wasn't even in Google yet because they have only been open a few months. I only recognized the name as we were walking by because there are two locations in Vegas. 160 beers on tap. No signage outside, just a small hanging sign and their name on the door. And the Tap House-150 beers on tap:beer. I was very skeptical but Outsider mentioned it more than once, so we did the Duck ride. A very nice 90 minute tour of the city and Lake Union.

We're not foodies, but did enjoy dining outside on the patios built right next to the downtown city sidewalks!

Christmas
    My wife's birthday
  8. FXT

FXT VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What a guy!!! :thumbsup:

The guys complaining about FSE wouldn't last in Seattle. The aggressive panhandling is on another level.

9. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas certified personal trainer/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kudos to Outsider!

Joe, I'm glad you and your wife had such a nice visit to Seattle. When we lived in Seattle I enjoyed watching the salmon navigate the salmon ladder. It's one of those unique things about Seattle.

10. Outsider

Outsider Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Joe, kind words from the Mayor of Main Street Station. Speaking of Vegas, kind of ironic with your Vegas connection, coming all the way to Seattle and ending up in Fremont.

It was a pleasure dragging you around while allowing me to drawl on about my birthplace city. Otherwise I would have either been at work or out working in the yard at home. As several offered regarding driving to and from on the coast, this was just a short hop. No problem for the gas we used, as I figure I came out ahead considering you bought the beer and brought wine and cheese curds all the way from Wisconsin.

As for the aggressive homeless you encountered, it seems that the mild weather and tolerant outlook brings in homeless from across the country. We seem to have more than our share despite some of the lowest unemployment anywhere. For many, in addition to social ills such as drug problems, there is a disparity resulting from a mismatch of skills and education and contemporary employer’s needs. I see similar issues in Portland Or to the south, and Vancouver BC to the north. Because many of the older parts of the city that draw tourists for the history also have long established locations for meals and social aid the two meet. Seattle is a medium sized city that has experienced continual growth since the mid-1970s that has many desirable features along with some issues. Enough of the editorial from my end.

Anyway, it was a pleasure meeting your wife and spending some time together. By the way, the old tavern in Tacoma was the Swiss. Glad you made on the Duck ride; a lot fun even for a local. Sounds like we’re going to beat you back to Vegas this time as we are making a trip over Labor Day. Perhaps we will line up sometime during the winter.
    Outsider

11. jerseyguy

jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was really nice!

I would do that for someone from the board who's brave enough to come to AC from far away. Other things to see besides just the boardwalk.

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

If you can get us in Pine Valley ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.